67.5 Replacement clutch reservoir too tall for hood to close

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

PatM
Forum Newb

67.5 Replacement clutch reservoir too tall for hood to close

Post by PatM »

67.5 Roadster: Installed a new hydraulic clutch cylinder and reservoir. Now the hood lands on it before closing. Apparently the reservoir is 1/4" taller. Old parts are gone. Anyone dealt with this challenge?
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: 67.5 Replacement clutch reservoir too tall for hood to close

Post by JT68 »

Suggest you just trim 1/4” off the bottom of the reservoir. Stationary belt sander would make it very simple//
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

or a hacksaw
PatM
Forum Newb

Post by PatM »

Problem solved. My initial inclination was inline with the replies above, but Deans reputation for quality parts kept me looking for a reason the reservoir would be too tall. Under the air cleaner I found some shims on the frame that had fallen down during replacement. I backed off the mounting bolts and slipped the shims around the upper bolt. That tilted the cylinder down. Now the hood closes and the body lines are smooth.
Thanks all!
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Yeah, you might rethink this. The purpose of the shims was never intended to angle the master cylinder. The OEM masters did not have any adjustment for connecting rod length or end-play. The shims are used in pairs intended to set end play with the original master cylinders.

It you think about it, by shimming 1/2 of the master cylinder and tightening down the nuts,- unless you leave the upper nut loose, you are bending the master cylinder mounting flange- not a good idea. The master was not intended to be angled relative to the firewall - if it were Nissan would have provided angled/tapered shims. j
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!