Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

onsight512
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

questions about a 'parts list' to go along with tie rod ends

Post by onsight512 »

If I were to have the tie rod ends replaced, what other parts would be good to have replaced at the same time while they're working on that area of the car?

I've recently had the front springs, shocks, and upper and lower ball joints replaced.
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Re: questions about a 'parts list' to go along with tie rod ends

Post by jrusso07 »

There's not much left other than the steering box and idler arm. Assume you have done wheel bearings. There's always the pivots for the upper and lower wishbones.
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Chris,

good to see you are taking care of the important bits, so you can enjoy the car.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

Center link is fairly inexpensive also.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
onsight512
Site Supporter

Post by onsight512 »

Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm dying to start on the interior, but there are plenty of other priorities. Steering box and idler arm are on my list just after the tie rods.

Is the steering box/idler arm something that I could do myself? Maybe a better questions would be; how complicated a job are they?

And yes, the wheel bearings were replaced by the PO.
RCMike
Roadsteraholic

Post by RCMike »

If you are paying someone to replace the tie rods, and center link, then do it all at once. If you are doing the work yourself, then decide how hard you want to work, twice.. Because you need to break the tie rods and center link free from the steering box and idler to replace the tie rods and center link.. and you need to break them loose to replace the steering and idler box.. The steering box is a nightmare to remove and reinstall on a complete car, but it CAN be done. It just sucks..
onsight512
Site Supporter

Post by onsight512 »

RCMike wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:53 am If you are paying someone to replace the tie rods, and center link, then do it all at once. If you are doing the work yourself, then decide how hard you want to work, twice.. Because you need to break the tie rods and center link free from the steering box and idler to replace the tie rods and center link.. and you need to break them loose to replace the steering and idler box.. The steering box is a nightmare to remove and reinstall on a complete car, but it CAN be done. It just sucks..
I'll do the tie rods and center link all at the same time. And maybe the steering & idler box too. I have what I think is too much play in the steering wheel, so I'd like to address that while I'm in that area of the car. I don't know exactly which part/component is causing it, but I figure it can't hurt to re-do as many of these things as I can before I move on the interior.

thanks,
Chris