choke connecting rods

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: choke connecting rods

Post by Lorna c »

they were so messed up it was hard to even get it to hook to the jet without lifting the arm to drop the plunger .. it's amazing how far pushed up they were compared to their resting spots !! so this should help out allot I hope ... still nervous to complete and have not fix it still . . haha it's something that has happened too many times already . I'm just stalling so I keep typing . haha ok here I go .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

we'll heck . it's not fixed yet . I'm going in to see if I created another issue like a leak or something .
Also I found that the shaft that holds the needle up in the jet , is that supposed to be flush with the piston or only the ledge on the needle ? if anyone is still looking here I'd appreciate if you know ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: choke

Post by Lorna c »

I GOT IT I GOT IT WE GOT IT ..
YESSSSSS ITS DIALED IN AND PROBLEM SOLVED WITH THE IDLING ISSUE IVE HAD FOREVER .

Wow that was fun !
Had to first straighten those connecting rods to each choke-to-jet so they sat at rest in the space allotted . Then had to lower my needles a bit , messed with them up then down twice, and now it'll run just right at idle .. after I had to readjust the points , for some reason they were way off now , set timing , then adjusted the carbs . Ooh after I cut out the bends in fuel line that lead from the side of the car into the motor . It seemed that's where my fuel would still hang up so I put in soft lines for the last couple feet . Now it delivers fuel without hangup . (That makes a big difference too .) And poof . The timing fell right in without dropping one more time into stagnant (as the book calls it lol) .. anyway thanks y'all . I'm sure that rides over now ... Hahaha .. just a couple days ago I was talking to a friend and I said "man I really need to know what I don't know". and he laughed .. and i laughed . . And now I know what I didn't know . The choke levers need to be at full rest without the bottom screw in that holds it to the lever to plunge it .. now I know those can't be the correct terms and sorry but. I got it I got it I got it !! Hahahahah over and out ! Sleep time ...

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

This book was in faded but prime shape a year ago ! :smt120 :smt021

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

And it wasn't a dream ! It's still good !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Picture of book won't load . This new phone I can't get it under 2MB to load picture . But it's one torn up and dirty book now ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Time to let these hands heal !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Only 1624 threads to figure this out ! Oh my word . Wow

ACote
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by ACote »

Very nice. Always feels good to have it running properly. Take it for a drive! I like all the fun places to drive in California.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ACote wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:13 pm Very nice. Always feels good to have it running properly. Take it for a drive! I like all the fun places to drive in California.
Oh I will ! Thx

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Well it's kinda different now that's for sure . Everything I knew to be , isn't anymore , so dropping all down to zero again and reset .. it only responding different . Completely different . I can't explain it but it's different . It's probably only running lighter with the choke not half way engaged anymore or something . I'm trying not to over think it .. it'll go into time but dwell is way low for this to happen . Like 30 . And that's ×2 for the 4 cylinder.. otherwise it's firing too late . Turning the chassis to hear the number one on compression spark and it's either after top dead center and if I put it had a much larger size Gap making the dwell smaller it will fire at 10 degrees before top dead center.. so I'm looking to see if it's something I did somewhere else or if it's just the way this car is it's always like a larger Gap vs 60 on the dwell . So idk it's just all different..

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Timing and dwell should not change with a carb adjustment! Dwell should also be independent of timing. Set the timing, then set the dwell.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Oh yeah ? Ok I'going.to try it that way ..thensee how it comes out . The throttle is ingaged it seems with them down is what's weird
. I'm going to hit it again now . So I'll do that way ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Does anyone know the length of these supposed to be ??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

notoptoy wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:01 pm Timing and dwell should not change with a carb adjustment! Dwell should also be independent of timing. Set the timing, then set the dwell.
Lorna, notoptoy is one of the best sources of information and encouragement on this website, but even he can err (but not often!). The order should be:

"Point gap and dwell affect timing, but timing does not affect point gap and dwell. So, set point gap/dwell first, then timing." Only after you have those dialed in should you attempt carb adjustment.

Bon chance! :)

Jon