choke connecting rods

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

choke connecting rods

Post by Lorna c »

ok so , when setting up the carbs and I'm hooking up the choke levers to the jet , do the choke levers have to be all the way down or just not ingaged yet ? because they're up to connect with the screw to the jet .. they have been this way apparently .but it seems almost impossible to put them any other way . at least as they stand now . I'm sure some bending will get them there but I don't want to start that unless they have to be all the way down . help please ...
Last edited by Lorna c on Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: choke levers

Post by notoptoy »

With the choke knob pushed all the way in at the dash, the levers should be all the way DOWN on the carbs. This way when you PULL the knob at the dash, it pulls the carb levers UP to engage the choke. Push in and the levers go down, disengaging the choke.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:22 pm With the choke knob pushed all the way in at the dash, the levers should be all the way DOWN on the carbs. This way when you PULL the knob at the dash, it pulls the carb levers UP to engage the choke. Push in and the levers go down, disengaging the choke.
I don't have those hooked up... now if they have been half way up this time but not engaged , could this have been my issue with it dropping too low all the time ( the idol )and driving me crazy ? because if so , I finally found the culprit you guys will have a break from me for about forever .. and I'll be one happy girl ! if not we'll heck back to the drawing board..

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

The chokes are notorious for getting hung up after use. They should be down and off with knob pushed in, as Tom stated.
Hope you get it fixed so you can get some rest and regroup!
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

If you are not using them, the levers should be down, and equal on both carbs. If they were not set like that, you would have all sorts of problems with idle, balancing the carbs, centering or adjusting the needles and more.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

notoptoy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 pm If you are not using them, the levers should be down, and equal on both carbs. If they were not set like that, you would have all sorts of problems with idle, balancing the carbs, centering or adjusting the needles and more.

oh man I'm so glad to hear this ! wow this made my year . yes all sorts of fun with tuning i,dling ,rich ,plus one full year of frustration . runs great on freeway but if I don't keep it alive most of the time sitting at a red , it would die . you don't know how many hours , months I've been searching for this answer . breaking bolts trying to tighten things up .. also I found out on some carb video how the levers bolts need to be tight tight ? because it'll leak air into the intake . humm I said , mine aren't tight at all ... figured they needed to be loose to let the levers move.. I'm finding my logic is not any good with mechanic work.. but this is hope that it wasn't me doing it wrong . whew . I didn't put these on the carbs and never took them off before this last week . .. HOPE ! BIG TIME HOPE !! WHOO HOO .... .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:39 pm The chokes are notorious for getting hung up after use. They should be down and off with knob pushed in, as Tom stated.
Hope you get it fixed so you can get some rest and regroup!
Linda
me too Linda, me too . man I'd like to move onto other things sometime soon . haha looks like I may be able to .. whew .. that was frustrating to say the least . .....wow I sure hope it's over now . I haven't left much untouched so running out of options besides I stink at tuning still . . so maybe I don't ... haha oh man please let this be it ...

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

one more question pls ..
is this even the right kind ? it's so far off it's crazy . and bending it doesn't seem like it'll make it still . or am I too excited ?
the lever dropped about 3/4 back down when I removed the screw . both of them .. wow .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Re: choke connecting rods

Post by mraitch »

personally, I have no idea what I am looking at - clearer pix - and what is a 'choke connecting rod'?

they should NOT hang up if a) well lubricated and b) the carb return springs are sufficiently strong and c) remembering that this is a push,pull setup, unlike the throttle, the 'cables' should be stiffer.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: choke

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:18 pm personally, I have no idea what I am looking at - clearer pix - and what is a 'choke connecting rod'?

they should NOT hang up if a) well lubricated and b) the carb return springs are sufficiently strong and c) remembering that this is a push,pull setup, unlike the throttle, the 'cables' should be stiffer.
lol idk . I thought I saw that somewhere .. ? I'll change it again . it's the thing that pulls the choke down . (jet?) lever . when I looked up the picture I thought it said that . . ugh sorry again on the vocabulary I lack .... but I got one to work properly (push /pull ) the other I'm close to having work properly .. I got so excited yesterday I almost couldn't work on it... haha and nervous .. if this doesn't fix what I've been dealing with ( which is what's been happening every time for a year ) this will mean I don't know what I'm doing at all still . and I don't want that .. anyway , the second one is in a hard spot so I stopped to rest last night (or this morning ) so to hit it first thing today . I'll hopefully be back with update.. away I'm nervous ..

mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Lorna, there really is nothing to 'pull' the choke down. The cable to the choke mechanism is a stiffer one than the throttle and essentially you pull it or since it has a stiffer cable, you PUISH it.
Peter Harrison
Copterpilot
Site Supporter

Post by Copterpilot »

If mine is correct, there is a spring on each side which gives "some" pull back on the choke. My question is "what if the two sides are not the same distance from the cable mounting. They both engage about the same height when I push up with my finger, but the left side starts further down. So if I attached the cable at the furthest down of the choke mechanism they would not engage at the same time. Therefore, I tightened the cable at the point just before they engaged.
White 1968 2000 Roadster
Gray 2003 VW Jetta TDI
Red 2005 Pontiac Vibe
2112 Toyota Highlander
Platinum White F150 Platinum Powerstroke
AS365 Dauphine
A109E Power
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

the two cables have different length sheaths - one for the near to firewall, the other for the furthest carb.

each carb has a spring attached to the heat shield

the choke cables should be firmly seated on the space allotted, THEN adjusted by means of the screw that holds the cable so that each cable moves at the same time.

IF, WITHOUT cables attached, they don't 'rest' at the same relative place, then there is something else to be adjusted.
Peter Harrison
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

ok I think I'm putting the words with the right pieces in my head and I'm working on all that now . my float levers came today already . haha they're in SLO (San Luis Obispo)20mins away . lol didn't know . now I do . so basically now I can set the carbs up like brand new fresh . all the timing I'm going to start at the beginning and go meticulously over the things you all have suggested to remember and look at and then do the timing everything but the valves they're fine...

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh and carb clean to look for leaks .. if any .. so hopefully by tomorrow or tonight is better . it'll be purring like a tiger . still no muffler so ..