carbs

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lorna c
Site Supporter

carbs

Post by Lorna c »

I have a couple specific questions on these please . if things are missing or not
now in this picture I see threading , that says something should be there ??
KIMG2522.JPG
the small 2 holes . one has threading .. this is under the carbs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: carbs

Post by Lorna c »

another hole I found was this one with the advance hooked on the other one . should it be hooked here too ? is this a vacuum leak here ?
KIMG2524.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Picture 1, that's for a mixture stop. It's an emission control thing. All it did was prevent you from richening the mixture too much. Zero problem with it missing.

Picture 2, use a piece of wire and probe the hole. If it is a blind hole, no vacuum leak.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

spl310 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm Picture 1, that's for a mixture stop. It's an emission control thing. All it did was prevent you from richening the mixture too much. Zero problem with it missing.

Picture 2, use a piece of wire and probe the hole. If it is a blind hole, no vacuum leak.
I know u said zero problem with something missing in picture 1 . do u mean if the emissions is missing its okay, or if the hole is open and there's no plug for it , it's okay ? is this a vacuum leak if it's not plugged with something instead of emissions Control?
and got ya on the #2 picture . thanks .

spl310
Roadster Guru

Post by spl310 »

I mean that it will not affect anything. Zero problem with the stop gone.

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

Lorna,

The carbs are identical in construction, the only difference is that the one that is being used for the REAR has that 'opening' drilled out in order to receive the vacuum advance tubing.

HTH
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

spl310 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:48 am I mean that it will not affect anything. Zero problem with the stop gone.
ok thank you .
and when you have time , why is it not a vacuum leak ?
meaning how come other things have to be sealed but not this ? is it in a spot that doesn't allow the air in the place that will creat a vacuum leak kinda thing ?
sorry I'm always wondering things, helps me understand .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oh and my frankenheader , is doing good !
only one pinpoint blowout spot I found and fixed . . and gave it a ceramic die job ..
haha it's doing surprisingly well . the gasket from me not getting all the nuts on until recently, blew my gasket out.. I thought the header was making all that soot.. haha you go frankenheader!

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

mraitch wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:10 am Lorna,

The carbs are identical in construction, the only difference is that the one that is being used for the REAR has that 'opening' drilled out in order to receive the vacuum advance tubing.

HTH
that's one hole .. but each carb has 2 under them. right by the fuel adjust nut . one has threading and one doesn't . then the other carb has the same . the picture with 2 holes side by side . it appears to go into the carb . I've had allot of soot and sometimes when I go to adjust , there's gas on my fingers when they come back out .. my gasket was blown under in the middle so I can see for soot , but gas ? one looks plugged the other is open . I see copper . and this is on both carbs

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

please don't get mad if I'm not understanding y'all right away . just making sure u understand me and what I mean . been playing around with this tuning thing having it tuned and then Fall Out Of Tune and driving me crazy for a long time ..when it's supposed to be so simple ..yes I had a leak in my gasket but I want to make sure there's no other leaks before I put everything back together is all..

Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Carbs that are hard to tune, or seem to get out of tune may be worn, as well as bad gaskets, bad needles, floats not set correctly, sinker floats etc
Check each thing on a list. Try the suggestions. Report back.
Don't get distracted by frankenheaders. Or if you do post it to that thread. That way WE don't get distracted :lol: :lol:
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:22 pm Carbs that are hard to tune, or seem to get out of tune may be worn, as well as bad gaskets, bad needles, floats not set correctly, sinker floats etc
Check each thing on a list. Try the suggestions. Report back.
Don't get distracted by frankenheaders. Or if you do post it to that thread. That way WE don't get distracted :lol: :lol:
Linda
I'm doing it again huh , ok . gasket still didn't come in yet . ergh . ya think $15 for shipping it would have been here 2 days ago . . huh , I'd better look into that .. I get ya Linda ,
.. shut up and see what's up Lorna , be methodical and cover all listed here . then see and report back . talk about the header on your header thread .. (I did) haha got ya ..
don't mean to jump around .. refocused ..

before when I was working on the car I was always in a rush cuz I wanted to drive it soooooo bad.... it had been with a mechanic for 2 years 2 and 1/2 years and he was only rebuilding the motor and that's it all I wanted to do was drive it.. being teased each summer . the third summer was approaching when I rolled this home with the motor in the back of the van because my mechanic was starting his vacationS and summer would have been a loss again . so I went and got it in Tahoe , towed it home and then put the motor he rebuilt in . why 4 months passed with it done and had it running on the block stand ... just he wasn't putting it in the car .. frustrating to say the least ... I need to remember , I've driven it for a bit now and it's not my only car . chill . so im sure I'll need reminding of that . a kind of a "rushed" habit has been established I need to break . so I'll chill .. but really 3 days for shipping at $15? . hahah ok chill Lorna ... ok ok ok be back with that hopefully tomorrow night .

spl310
Roadster Guru

Post by spl310 »

The threaded hole for the stops doesn't go into the throat, so not a vacuum leak source

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

spl310 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am The threaded hole for the stops doesn't go into the throat, so not a vacuum leak source
shoot . I was hoping it.was why I couldn't time it, but maybe the huge blown gasket on the intake was why..haha . oh and that "blind hole" for the advice , was a hole . that probably messed with the timing idle a bit I hope . well I'll unplug the "stop" holes if they're not going into the throat and causing anything bad..
oh and one more spot I'm not sure messes things up or not I found also ,
in the float bowl , you have the center hole and that small coper pinhole off the the side . now the fuel line doesn't get connected on those two ports under carbs.that are built into the carb body (if that makes sense ) it runs in a separate line for.whatever reason now . anyway I'll get a picture here in a min , but when I blow into that old spot where lines to hook up the two carbs fuel (not sure actually what there for , books says fuel line ) I hear air going into the float bowl , into that pinhole opening .. now is this supposed to happen or is it missing a plug there too ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

well all clean and everything moves freely now nicely . plugged where it needs to be plugged and waiting on frankenheader to seat first . if I can cram it in again .. in remember now how fun it was the first time doing this . . . oh boy is it fun . tomorrow is another day ... my neck hurts