Powerless and detonations with load

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Lars
Roadster Fanatic

Powerless and detonations with load

Post by Lars »

Hi,

I haven't been able to drive my roadster for the last 5-7 years because when the season starts something always breaks. Getting parts and fitting them takes months and the roadster season up north is short (3 months). This year I had good hopes, because this winter the brakes were overhauled, the year before that I fixed the carbs, then it was the fuel pump, the alternator, the starter, the differential and so forth. What could go wrong now? Well, hope fell into despair when I heard the first detonation in the exhaust. Here are the symptoms:

- The engine has no power under load. Max speed with full throttle on level ground is 60 mph.
- Detonates under acceleration and up hill
- Hard to start when warm
- Engine idles perfectly and runs just fine with light load

I fiddled with the carbs yesterday in the hope that it was lack of fuel, but it looks OK. Plenty of fuel in the carbs, so I am starting to fear something is a miss with the ignition system.

How should I go about to diagnose this problem? Any advice is highly appreciated.
Lars Tungen
SPL311-09900
SRL311-12362
Online parts catalog: http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Powerless and detonations with load

Post by Linda »

Coil, plug wires?
How do the plugs look?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Might be a long shot, but I had a similar experience which turned out to be in the distributor - one of the steel sprung 'arms' under the advance plate had broken !
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Definitely have an ignition timing issue. Make sure your timing is correct, especially if you are unsure what distributor you have. The '68 and later cars are timed at 0 at idle, not 17 for the early cars. Detonation is different than incorrect timing. Go buy a timing light and check your timing, or if needed I can walk you through static timing the engine (setting the timing when the engine is not running, but it's a ball park setting without a timing light.). Do not drive until we have figured out what it's doing as you can damage the engine if you're way over advanced on timing... you're making the engine fight itself by exploding the fuel way too early. If it does not turn out to be that, then we will trouble shoot the issue further. WE WILL HAVE YOU DRIVING SOON.

So, go get a timing light first thing, then report back.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

If fuel delivery is ok, I’d look at advance as others have suggested. Get a timing light on it and verify centrifugal and vacuum advance are working correctly.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

When I opened my distributor up to check it out there was considerable rust on the discs and balls of the vacuum advance. It was frozen right up. Condensation is more likely in the north than southern climates due to greater temperature swings. If your distributor is like mine just be careful to keep track of how it comes apart and don't loose the three little balls.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I'm gonna guess that it's a smog dizzy timed to non smog settings. Excessive advance is leading to the immediate "detonation" but what that really is is the fuel is being ignited way way early so the explosion is pushing the piston down while the crank is pushing it up... bad bad bad!

To remind folks, ping is the sound of the fuel being exploded by the spark but the fuel is not burning uniformly, sometimes from too early a spark, other times because the octane is too low for the fuel to slowly burn and it explodes sporadically. Detonation is an explosion of fuel without a spark event due to high compression and to low an octane level. Higher octane numbers refer to the ability of the fuel to RESIST exploding before you want it to. A higher octane fuel is less explosive than a lower octane fuel, which allows you to compress it harder before it explodes, creating more power. It is a trade off however. I run against the ragged edge on 92 pump gas with 11.7 to 1 compression with good spark control.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Lars
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Lars »

I will check the timing as soon I can get my hands on a timing light. Hopefully tomorrow. My car has a presmog engine (early '67).
Thanks for all your help so far. Greatly appreciated!
Lars Tungen
SPL311-09900
SRL311-12362
Online parts catalog: http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

Which car, 1600 or 2000? It can make a difference.

Reason I ask is my 1600 stroker would run good, run bad and then run good again. Missing, popping, no power but would kind of run at low RPM.

So I ended up replacing every ignition part including the distributor with a 123. Started with the distributor and thought the problem was solved. It wasn't so I put all the rest on. And since I suspected it might be fuel delivery I put on a sealed plastic fuel filter in place of the glass bowl. I thought it might be sucking air some of the time. Did that yesterday and the problem seems to be gone now. Next I will hook the glass bowl back up and go for a drive.

The glass bowl filter top can warp and not seal. Also the cork gasket can go bad.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Lars
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Lars »

It's a 1600, stock everything.
Lars Tungen
SPL311-09900
SRL311-12362
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

How fresh is the fuel?
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

+1 on c.costine - but there are even MORE teeny/tiny balls to watch out for. They are in a small race under the vacuum advance plate.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Good coolant flow? Full,...real full?
Carb slides smooth
Take a compression test cold
Check the centrif. Advance
Starving on gas?
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Check to make sure the coil is not over heating. Possible if the wires are connected in the wrong ends of the ballast resister.
It should be warm, not hot.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB