69 2000 SUs - How to install and adjust choke linkages (throttle)?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

rednc69
Forum Newb

69 2000 SUs - How to install and adjust choke linkages (throttle)?

Post by rednc69 »

MYSTERY SOLVED -- Missing the step washers to connect the arms to the throttle shaft. I think I can handle the rest. Thanks!
-----------
I have a '69 2000 with twin SU carbs. The carbs did not originally have the linkages that connect the choke actuators to the throttle shafts to increase the rpm when cold starting. I located some linkages, but am somewhat at a loss as to how they should be installed and adjusted. I installed them according to what I could find in photos, and am pretty sure that the nuts on the throttle shafts need to be left loose so the linkages can rotate freely when the throttle shaft turns. However, I do not know how they are located more firmly (i.e., centered on the shaft (it's rectangular where they are located) so they don't shift around).

So, my questions are:
1. Where and how should the linkages be attached to the throttle shafts?
2. Are there special washers or other pieces needed to install them?
3. Once installed, how are they adjusted to operate correctly?
4. Anything else I need to know?

All help greatly appreciated. I'm a British car guy who's new to the Datsun, and am learning anew with each job.

Here's a pic of my current install.
IMG_6263.jpg
IMG_6264.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rednc69 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Re: 69 2000 SUs - How to install and adjust choke linkages (throttle)?

Post by nismou20 »

The bent arm on your carb pretty much syncs the throttle shaft to the choke linkage. The real only adjustment would be the choke cable which when in home (spring return) position, the nozzle should be snug up to mixture adjustment nut. With the pull of cable the long flat bar should pull the nozzle down and out. Check your throttle shaft play too. I installed some O-rings on my worn shaft-ends with extra washers for vacuum leaks.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
rednc69
Forum Newb

Re: 69 2000 SUs - How to install and adjust choke linkages (throttle)?

Post by rednc69 »

Perhaps I was not clear with my question. I have installed the lever and linkage, but would like to know how it SHOULD be installed (where and with what hardware, etc.)? Also, how to adjust it to control the idle speed correctly? Thanks, Greg