4 Sp Cluster gear thrust washers

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bdhudson
Roadster Newby

4 Sp Cluster gear thrust washers

Post by bdhudson »

I have a question on the thrust washers for the cluster gear assembly in a servo style 4 speed transmission. The thrust washers have a notch stamped into them which I understand fits into a groove in the trans case and then keeps the washer from turning. Opposite the notch, the washer has an oblong cutout where the shaft goes through (purpose to drain oil?).

Does anyone know for sure the correct orientation of the notch/cutout?

When I took my tranny apart I missed noticing how they were oriented.

In looking at the unit it would seem to me the notch is up at the top, with the cutout towards the bottom, but I would really like to know for sure before closing everything up and re-installing it.

Thanks.
Brian

1966 1600
1972 240Z
1981 280ZX
2012 370Z
Erock311
Roadster Newby

Re: 4 Sp Cluster gear thrust washers

Post by Erock311 »

If you go to Tech Wiki section, go to SPL311 service manual , and I believe between p112-113, they have a "sectional view of transmission" picture. If you look at the front of the countergear closely, you can just see the t/washer,looks like the notch is towards the bottom,cutout to the top.The slots in the case,it looks like a narrow slot on top,wider on bottom (found a photo in another book showing the case). Would the washer only fit one way? Wonder if the cutout is to get oil to the bearing, and the upper slot helps w/this, not sure. Also have a 510 service manual ,does not even cover it. It is the only drawing I can find that even shows the washers. I rebuilt the 4 spd. in my car years ago, next time I drop the pan will have to check.
bdhudson
Roadster Newby

Post by bdhudson »

Thank you. Now all I have to do is find where I can purchase a 45mm front seal. Mine is the rare small seal tranny. Rallye has them as part of a kit but I only need the seal. If anyone knows of a source please let me know.

Thanks again, your response is very much appreciated.
Brian

1966 1600
1972 240Z
1981 280ZX
2012 370Z
bdhudson
Roadster Newby

Post by bdhudson »

Success, a 45mm seal is on its way! Rod's Datsun Parts has the smaller seal. With some luck I may just have a roadster that does not leak trans fluid in time for summer. However summer here in Wisconsin may be a while yet.
Brian

1966 1600
1972 240Z
1981 280ZX
2012 370Z