Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

johnscf
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

removing dash

Post by johnscf »

after finishing a fair amount of mechanical work I'm starting on the interior for my 68 2000. Have removed seats and carpet and now getting ready to pull the dash. Any helpful hints about the most effective way to go about this? Any particular sequence I should follow or special tools I should line up before I start? Is this a 3-4 hour job or more like 10? Thanks for any help.
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Re: removing dash

Post by bakerjf »

Sent you a PM with instructions.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
MrGuts
Roadster Fanatic

Post by MrGuts »

HIYA!
Going through this now. Was sent above instructions too and found them helpful. Seats out very helpful. I elected to remove the wingnuts holding the guages to the dash rather than disconnect the wiring and plumbing. Took about two hours to remove after the seats were out.
PeaceLoveAndRoadsterness...Forever
'69 SPL U20 know worldwide as Spike
Paso Robles, Ca
New :idea: 's welcome
greydog
Model: 1500/1600

Post by greydog »

If you search, you'll find lots of posts regarding dash removal.
I've removed and reinstalled dashes on a 68 and a 69. Soak the top screws with penetrant a couple times. Assume the screws are rusted. Sometimes it helps to slightly tighten the screw to "crack" the rust so the penetrant can do it's thing.
Remove everything you can, , consoles, steering wheel, heater, glove box. You're gonna want them out of the way anyhow and doing it up front will give access to the bottom of the screws.
Once the dashes were out, I found the captive nuts had rusted in their cages so I worked them so they'd move in their cages. Treated them with some rust converter and cleaned the threads with a tap.
Put a dab of Neverseize in the captive nut before you put the dash back (so you don't smear it all over your nice dash).
I had one screw that snapped on the "69. Once I had the dash out I used a Dremel and slit one side of the captive nut cage, removed the nut and broken bolt stub. I got the stub out, put the nut back and tack welded the cage back to the dash.
Be patient, you can get them out.
Would be much easier if the windshield was removed but I was not comfortable doing that.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by mraitch »

If you have the correct hex screws, what I did was use a cheap matching socket, drilled 2 holes in it at right angles and undid them using a small screwdriver as a lever, pressing down on the socket as I turned. I tried the angles screwdriver - just kept on coming out.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
johnscf
Model: 2000

Post by johnscf »

Thanks for the info. Going to tackle it this weekend.
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
jarhead
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by jarhead »

MrGuts wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:52 am HIYA!
Going through this now. Was sent above instructions too and found them helpful. Seats out very helpful. I elected to remove the wingnuts holding the guages to the dash rather than disconnect the wiring and plumbing. Took about two hours to remove after the seats were out.
leaving the gauges connected seems like a cool idea. wish I thought of that two years ago.
Lee
'66 SPL311-00676
Boyropha
Roadster Newby

Post by Boyropha »

Any chance the dash removal instructions mentioned could be shared? I think I am about 60% there. Got seats out, center console out, heater, speaker and steering wheel shroud out. Got fuse box out and remainder of shot glove box insert. Right now working on getting out screws underneath. Most phillips heads are getting drilled, only got a couple out normally. Just want to make sure I am getting all the screws and I'll keep working on wires and cables. Trying to take as many pictures as I can.
Thanks for any help.
Bob
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

Pm sent
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)