Brake Master Cylinder problems

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Brake Master Cylinder problems

Post by dbrick »

OK, here goes...
1. Rebuilt the dual brake master on my 69, bled out the system, all good, full fluid flush good pedal. After 6 or 7 stops, loud clunk, pedal dropped, no rear brakes, no leaks, fluid trickles out of rear line bleeder when pedal pushed. Drove with front brakes and low pedal for a few days, no problem.

2 Re Re built master... Found the secondary piston rod was sticking and piston was jammed all the way forward. Fixed, Re assemble, re bleed, drive the car all is well for the 1st 2 miles. The car was slowing down, found the rear brakes locking up, would not release until I loosened adjustment. seemed no big deal... Drove a few miles further, smoke from right front, front brake locked up (My wife had brought the floor jack over for 1st breakdown)
Loosened front bleeder screw, fluid squirted out, wheel unfroze. Drove home 5 miles at night in local traffic without using brakes, nice challenge.

3. Installed spacers I removed and forgot to put back in between master and firewall. Also got smart and knocked the bottom master cylinder mounting bolt out of the brake brace and inserted bolt from front with lockwasher and tightened from the inside, MUCH EASIER.

4. Pump the brakes hard a few times, front brake still locks until bleeder is opened to release pressure.

5. Yelled at dogs and threw tools about the garage, no result, except the Basset Hound now fears the smell of brake fluid.

6. HELP. I'm leaning toward Master cylinder, but if anyone has any ideas feel free to chime in

Thanks

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

As far as I can tell, it's coming all the way up, slack in brake pedal, but I'll look again. If needed, Does the switch to a 510 master cyl work if you switch the bottom fittings from the old one?

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
boboding
Roadster Newby

Re: Brake Master Cylinder problems

Post by boboding »

Hey Dave,
I'm having front wheel brake lock on my 69 2000. New master last year and no problem until today. Haven't torn it apart yet. Some of the replies in this thread have been deleted. Did you figure it out? I'm guessing mine is master related but before I pull everything apart - again - I'm hoping there might be another explanation. Thanks in advance.
Bob
69 2000
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Have you ruled out sticky caliper pistons? With the front of the car on jack stands, an assistant can push on the brake while you are turning each front wheel.

You may have already addressed this concern, but some of our cars likely haven't had their calipers rebuilt since Reagan was president.
boboding
Roadster Newby

Post by boboding »

It’s both fronts so I’m assuming it’s the master. I crack the bleeder on the master and they both release. Looking at a rebuild kit as opposed to $8-900 for aftermarket or more for original. Haven’t done a rebuild on one of these before.
Bob
69 2000
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Bob,
You can PM dbrick by clicking on "dbrick" under his avatar to see how he dealt with this issue. Once you have the m/c apart you can judge whether it is worth a rebuild, and rebuilding is pretty straightforward if you pay careful attention to the order in which parts are assembled. Good luck!
Jon
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by theunz »

If you aren’t 100* set on authenticity, then the 510 master works just as well. Just be sure you get the adapters for the lines. See the tech WIKI
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600

Post by redroadster »

Does it flow out of the MC normal when pressure ized ?
The brake safety swt. The wire goes to.has a floating piston in a cyl. With equal pressure in each line the piston stays put ,but low to no pressure on 1 side it let's a piston slide move towards the low pressure line which turns on the brake indicator lite ,also if it goes far enough like a line blew out, it shuts off any fluid to that line too as not to deplete the fluid level quickly. Bleeding brakes pressing the pedal hard is not recommend for this reason ...to recenter the piston you have to pressure the side it leaked more . There are centering springs that rust or break.
It can be stuck good on older cars . If this was a 1 tank MC it makes sense it would shut off the rears
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by jrusso07 »

Have you seen this...it was posted a few weeks back on 311s

http://sincitydatsuns.com/store/p193/Da ... ARKET.html
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
redroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by redroadster »

Usually that part of the cylinder that never meets the piston after years is damaged or is when you shove the piston where it has not been ...the end of the cyl.
How old is the " new kit " you installed
With gaulding , the cyl it can be out of round too
I never would flush bleed brakes on services at Datsun , only clean the tank out . Got in trouble about it ...I said a new cyl is cheap & the way to go . When cold weather hit we had 3 -4 that techs had flush bled .
driving the brakes pushed thru ....no brakes. They stopped flushing on a service
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
waterdude
Roadster Nut

Post by waterdude »

I am watching this thread to see what you found out. I am having the same problem, with new MC, calipers, and brake pads.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Where is the brake pedal in relation to the clutch pedal...even? Does the push rod release all the way when you press or is it stuck?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
roadsterred
Roadster Nut

Post by roadsterred »

The brake master cylinder has a small bleed hole to relieve the pressure when the brake pedal is depressed and released. The bleed hole allows the brake fluid to return to the master cylinder reservoir. If for some reason the bleed hole is plugged, pressure will build up in the brake line with each successive depression of the brake pedal and the brakes will eventually lock.

As Linda asked, is the brake pedal pushrod into the master cylinder fully returning to its normal position? If no, this may be the cause of your brake problem. If yes, the bleed hole may be plugged.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I think the final solution on this , back in 2005 :shock: , was I did something wrong and piston wasn't coming back all the way, I remember the bolt holding the piston stripped and I used a bigger one, an I think it covered the bleed hole Believe I replaced the master. Either way, the part Joe posted, for $175.00, is just totally worth it. Even if you get a rebuild kit, who knows how old the rubber is?

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70