Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread-take 2

Post by Curtis »

greydog wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:55 pm Looks like they come with 2.
Dan
Their listings are inconsistent. Some say 4, some just don't say anything. I'm going to make the assumption of 4. Thanks.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

I recently made some MSD 8.5mm “Super Conductor” wires for my Solex U20 car and it made a big difference in the higher RPMs where the car used to break up and these new wires don’t. I originally had timed the distributor to 20* advance and it broke up really bad. I dialed it back to 16*... now I believe I can add a little more back in and take it up to 20* again
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Bigtaku »

2mAn wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:23 am I recently made some MSD 8.5mm “Super Conductor” wires for my Solex U20 car and it made a big difference in the higher RPMs where the car used to break up and these new wires don’t. I originally had timed the distributor to 20* advance and it broke up really bad. I dialed it back to 16*... now I believe I can add a little more back in and take it up to 20* again
Thanks. Good to know.
Michael Montez
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

2mAn wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:36 pm Installing a tonneau cover soon (dont have it yet) and my dash is missing the twist-tabs. I have sourced them now, but Im not sure if I have markings or dimples that will tell me where to install them? Also, Im expecting the worst, but how much of a pain is it going to be to install them? I already know the bullet one on the door is going to be a pain...
Wait until I get it to you , it has holes already you can line up ....
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
johnscf
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by johnscf »

interior pictures. Where's the best place on the forum to find pics of interiors? I'm redoing a 68 2000 and I'm thinking of switching to red for the seats and carpet and maybe the console with everything else black. I know the factory version had a black console with the red seats and carpet but I'd like to look at some members set ups to see how others have done it. Most of the pics at the various meets and rallys just show exterior and engine not seeing any of the cockpit.
Charlie
Grafton WV
68 2000
70 1600
71 Toyota Celica ST coupe
74 Toyota Celica GT coupe
tpersons
Roadster Newby

Post by tpersons »

I am having a horn issue or lack of a horn issue. Power and ground at all of the approperate places,horns work when I directly wire them(for test). I have had it work for an instant or two but not when I push on the horn button normally. Is there a horn spring that needs replacing? Am I missing a unknown part?I can post picture of what is ther if necessary....thanks for any assistance....tim
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

If the dash is missing the tabs (by the way they are supposed to be flat black for correctness) it's going to be a pain ''cos they have small nuts (7,8,9 mm depending) on the inside/underneath and I have NO idea how you can get to them, perhaps with dash in place, but it's gotta be a pain.

I believe that the window posties 'actually' are threaded, but I have no faith in the strength of the metal so I always put a nut on the inside for security.

So, The window posties will at a minimum require removing the door panels. By winding the window all the way up you [i]might[/i] be able to access the thread, otherwise more window disassembly is required, at a minimum removing the quarter window.

AND, while you are at , if you get that far, you should remove the REAR driver window channel and check the bottom bracket, it is frequently cracked/broken and if it isn't, then it WILL be. Worth having the bracket strengthened while you are there. And grease the window slide.

And check that the bottom limiter is still intact as also the top (plastic insert in the slide)

HTH
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

tpersons wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 pm I am having a horn issue or lack of a horn issue. Power and ground at all of the approperate places,horns work when I directly wire them(for test). I have had it work for an instant or two but not when I push on the horn button normally. Is there a horn spring that needs replacing? Am I missing a unknown part?I can post picture of what is ther if necessary....thanks for any assistance....tim
Did you check the power into and out of the relay?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

tpersons wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:44 pm I am having a horn issue or lack of a horn issue. Power and ground at all of the approperate places,horns work when I directly wire them(for test). I have had it work for an instant or two but not when I push on the horn button normally. Is there a horn spring that needs replacing? Am I missing a unknown part?I can post picture of what is ther if necessary....thanks for any assistance....tim
First and foremost is what year is yous car?

To check I would as you have done first check the horns. Then go to the relay and bridge power to the green wire, horns blow or no. Next step is to bridge power to the horn power wire. Green/white or maybe green with a red band. Then ground the terminal with the black wire. if the relay works then you have a problem somewhere up the line. That means the wiring leading to the fuse box or the horn button. if not those then then the fuse or the horn button. Check the plugs under the dash depending on your year.
66 stroker, almost done.
tpersons
Roadster Newby

Post by tpersons »

It is a 1966. I have printed your directions and will try them over the weekend. I knew there would be great assistance on this forum.Thanks so much C.Costine and Curtis for your help. I will post results end of first of next week.....tim
tpersons
Roadster Newby

Post by tpersons »

In the 1966 roadster,do I have plugs under the dash to check?
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

tpersons wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:17 pm In the 1966 roadster,do I have plugs under the dash to check?
Just for the horn button wire, black with green marker. Power wire from the fuse box to the relay is short.

To easily check the whole thing just unplug the black wire from the turn signal switch and ground it. That cuts down on messing with the rest of it. If it works there then it is the switch.
66 stroker, almost done.
tpersons
Roadster Newby

Post by tpersons »

once again my sincere thanks.....tim
goldbug
Roadster Fanatic

Gat tank vent fitting/nipple

Post by goldbug »

Anyone found their gas tank vent fitting/nipple missing or needed to replace?

I picked up my tank from getting "refurbed", and (in addition to a crapload of some sort of coating) it appears the the gas tank vent fitting is missing entirely--in its place: a hole.

I know I can go find a small tube and weld on another 90deg elbow if needed, but I'd rather not grind/weld a sealed/painted tank if I can avoid it.

Anyone try using a generic 90 degree fitting w/ some crush washers or similar?
Maybe something like this from McMaster? https://www.mcmaster.com/#53505k42/ (note I just picked one from the results--size may not be correct)
1969 SRL311 (resto project)
2013 Golf R (hers)
2014 Corvette
2015 SS (daily, Holden-mode)
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

tpersons wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:08 am once again my sincere thanks.....tim
I should have said horn button not turn switch.
66 stroker, almost done.