Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread-take 2

Post by mraitch »

The sway bar is an up/down whatsit - shouldn't have any impact on what you are doing!!
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

Okay I’ll try it with the bar in place. Thanks, Greg and Peter getting the bar back in is a real PIA for one person. Got wacked on the forehead last time.

Glad I asked
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

Quite a selection of caps available here: -
http://www.tridon.com.au/products/Trido ... iator-caps

Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
guyatou
Roadster Fanatic

Post by guyatou »

I’m resetting my U20 carb float level. I have the adjustments printed off from the tech wiki, but I want to double check measurements. The shop manuals I have only list numbers for the free floating floats, not hinged like I have.
CF30AFD5-D0BC-4FF7-BFE9-0725B72429A5.jpeg
First, when I invert the float lid 1) should I hold the float up and slowly lower until it just barely contacts the seat and then take the measurement (like it says in these instructions) or 2) measure from the float’s natural resting place on the seat?

Second, what is the actual correct measurement using the proper method above (I assume #1)? The sheet has 2 listed. 13/32” or 9/16” Again, the books I have don’t include this detail and it’s madening!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael D.
Oklahoma City
1968 SRL-311
1930 Model A Ford
insta: @downesphoto
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Can anyone tell me the size of the pinion nut for the rear differential? Bringing home tools from work and forgot to measure thanks
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

There are 3 little studs that hold the valve cover vent on the u20. Anyone besides me over-tighten the nut holding the vent attachment down and loosen a stud from the valve cover? I didn’t realize the aluminum is that soft. And hints on a fix?
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

pebbles wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:59 pm
oppositeLock wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:38 am (Referencing this thread: http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=21150)

On the starter end of the frame-to-starter ground wire, should that just be a ring terminal between the starter mounting bolt (and its lockwasher) and the transmission casing? Just seems like you'd need rather large ring/spade terminal in order to avoid a gap under the bolt head.
Ring terminal to starter, flat washer, lock washer, bolt.
I wouldnt put the terminal against the lock washer, they are soft. The locking feature will engage and cause problems when turning the bolt.
what does / can it do ? what does "cause problems" mean to u ? haha I mean what's it mean / do ?
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
boxcar
Roadster Nut

Post by boxcar »

Ralph : Pull the stud , then re install using red lock tight . Once dry, don't use a 3/8 drive ratchet again.
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

guyatou wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:55 pm I’m resetting my U20 carb float level. I have the adjustments printed off from the tech wiki, but I want to double check measurements. The shop manuals I have only list numbers for the free floating floats, not hinged like I have.

First, when I invert the float lid 1) should I hold the float up and slowly lower until it just barely contacts the seat and then take the measurement (like it says in these instructions) or 2) measure from the float’s natural resting place on the seat?

Second, what is the actual correct measurement using the proper method above (I assume #1)? The sheet has 2 listed. 13/32” or 9/16” Again, the books I have don’t include this detail and it’s madening!
I'd suggest an update to the tech wiki might be in order if method 1 is not correct. The two listed appear to be for different years of carb. I'll assume yours are most likely the first ones 13/32"? Surprised there is not a +/- tolerance on these measurements and curious as to the difference in gap between your method one and method 2.

Here is another source which "almost" defends method one, where it says "resting" but not "compressing" the needle valve ... hummm
Later on in the link it says "just contacts" so it agrees with your method 1. No wonder the newer cars are going to direct injection! LOL

Good luck!
http://xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=746
msampsel

Post by msampsel »

msampsel wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:15 am
guyatou wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:55 pm I’m resetting my U20 carb float level. I have the adjustments printed off from the tech wiki, but I want to double check measurements. The shop manuals I have only list numbers for the free floating floats, not hinged like I have.

I noticed the float levels in the wiki are for Carbs from a 240Z not the roadster float level. Not sure what yours are ...
Mine (R16) are 0.55" and looks like yours are too (based on just when the needle closes)

Here is another source which "almost" defends method one, where it says "resting" but not "compressing" the needle valve ... hummm
Later on in the link it says "just contacts" so it agrees with your method 1. No wonder the newer cars are going to direct injection! LOL

Good luck!
http://xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?t=746
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

I thought you had mikuni carbs on that beast, right? Totally different set up, and it is somewhat important to how the carbs function. Raising or lowering the float level in a side draft like the Mikuni changes when the mains kick in. Don't try to use any specs for any other carb than your particular version. I may be able to scare up my old mikuni manual, but may have given it away to the person who bought mine many years ago. Regardless, someone here (Dave P?) Will have the proper spec and method. Why do you think you need to adjust it in the first place? They typically don't change much if at all, unless the valve was changed out. There also is a tool that I used to use to check, it was like a glass straw with marks on it, used just like putting a straw into water with your finger over the end, then releasing to get the fluid to travel up the straw, the covering it again so you could pull it out and read the level. It would measure by putting it in where the jet/emulsion tube sits (removed) to a set place on the tool (fixed metal ring) so you measured depth consistently. You could probably make something out of clear fuel resistant plastic or glass with some marks? This way you're setting the carbs the same and have a reference point. One of the upgrades done to later carb versions was an external float adjustment. You also may not know what is "best" until you run it. However, it is a very minor change that may only show up under racing conditions where every 10th is important and the carbs have not responded to slight Jetting changes and is over or under fueling in transition from pilot to mains, assuming they are not grossly wrong! That was a problem I had at one point with the Dellortos, but they offer many different emulsion tubes that change when the mains engage and how and where in the progression... gets dizzying, but the documentation was good and I could guess at what might be the best (again, why an wideband O2 sensor is so helpful... I could SEE what the carb was doing in transition and could target where it was doing what, make changes, then see what the result was in real time... priceless. Try doing that seat of the pants or reading plugs... not!).
Make sure you're not creating problems where no problem exits my FRIEND!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

boxcar wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:39 am Ralph : Pull the stud , then re install using red lock tight . Once dry, don't use a 3/8 drive ratchet again.
Got it .... thing is I only used a little combo wrench. Gotta be gentle I guess :?

RP
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

Ok stupid question time... I bought hood bumpers because why not. But how do you get them thru the little holes??? WD-40? Soapy water? Any suggestions? Thanks! :)
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

I trimmed mine a little bit and pushed them thru using small sdcrewdriver
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Mackn367
Site Supporter

Post by Mackn367 »

mraitch wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:37 pm I trimmed mine a little bit and pushed them thru using small sdcrewdriver
Yeah i must be using too large of a screw driver. I might have to use my little flat head and see if that works. It just kind of kept bulging when i would try to poke it thru and just did not want to go in the hole.