The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread-take 2

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread-take 2

Post by pebbles »

2mAn wrote:haha Yea thats the easy question! How about the fact that the cap keeps popping off?
Resevior could be too tall. (The full line should look like the brake master res).
IMG_0319.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pebbles on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

2mAn wrote:My car has a wide variety of non-matching lugs. What is the correct style?
Quite the stackup you have there.
Check the wheel itself for a straight shank/bore, or an acorn/tapered bore.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... tes#p44867
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
RBMann
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by RBMann »

2mAn wrote:haha Yea thats the easy question! How about the fact that the cap keeps popping off?
Ours did the same thing. It was catching on the hood reinforcement rib. Changed to a new master with a shorter reservoir.
RBMann

mechanic on '69-1600(not mine)
spags1986
Roadster Fanatic

Post by spags1986 »

I am in the middle of a restoration and have the motor and 5 speed transmission sitting on the frame. Last night I thought I would try just go through all the gears while rocking the frame back and forth to make sure everything engages. 1st-4th was fine, however when I went to put it in 5th it took so much more effort and even then when I rolled the frame back and forth I heard a grinding noise and it would pop out of 5th, same thing happened when I went into Reverse. Is 5th and reverse connected in a way where both would go out at the same time?

My question is...and I think I know the answer...but is my transmission in need of a rebuild? When I picked up this project the motor and transmission was out of the car as well as many other items, It was a failed attempt at a restoration many years ago. Or should I run it and see if it works after its actually running and everything is lubed (transmission was stored away dry)
1967.5 2000 (In Frame off restoration)
1966 1600
1969 2000
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I would rebuild transmission. Its not that difficult a job for the DIYer. It could be the reason the car was taken off the road. If it is that's a good thing, as its not too bad a reason.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
spags1986
Roadster Fanatic

Post by spags1986 »

fj20spl311 wrote:I would rebuild transmission. Its not that difficult a job for the DIYer. It could be the reason the car was taken off the road. If it is that's a good thing, as its not too bad a reason.
As far as rebuilding goes, do most get their parts from datsunparts.com? I have never rebuilt a transmission but am not against the idea.
1967.5 2000 (In Frame off restoration)
1966 1600
1969 2000
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

The last time I rebuilt a transmission some parts were still available from Nissan. It really depends on what parts are needed.
It sounds like the nut has backed off enough for some of the parts under the slider to get out of place.
Datsunparts.com is a good source and as are all the vendors listed in "Our" Vendor list tab.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Linda wrote:Simon,
Some wheels, like Appliance take special lug nuts, so depends on your wheel .Z wheels use different studs. Larger wheels need longer studs frequently too. A pic would be best.
Linda

Here are the pics. I'm pretty sure these aren't correct, and there's 2 different styles
IMG_2117.JPG
IMG_2115.JPG
IMG_2114.JPG
IMG_2113.JPG
And the next question...

What is this thing I'm pointing to for?
IMG_2112.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96
theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by theunz »

You're pointing to the lever for the fresh air intake, it should have a black knob on it. There is one on both sides. Mike
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Thanks!Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I promise to only ask them once

And the dangling thing?.. Is there a place it should be, rather than hanging like that. Is it the headlight relay?
Simon
Current Cars:
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Not headlight relay. It is the turn signal relay, looks like aftermarket. There is supposed to be a housing that you can screw onto the side of the footwell. See if the housing is there and the little aftermarket can fell out.,. lol. If so stuff it back in and crimp the edges so it stays. There is a thread on doing this..
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

Imho, it looks like the po got the lugs "good enough to roll". Scary.
Buy a lotto ticket :wink:
David

2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

pebbles wrote:Imho, it looks like the po got the lugs "good enough to roll". Scary.
I think I might need to!

Safe assumption? These lugs are the correct pitch, but the wrong seat to match the wheel. I could take a lug off, make the stupid drive to southeast LA/ Orange County to the wheel shop that seems to have the right lugs to match. Is the thread/ pitch on these roadsters unique or is it a typical Japanese style
Simon
Current Cars:
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

2mAn wrote:
pebbles wrote:Imho, it looks like the po got the lugs "good enough to roll". Scary.
I think I might need to!

Safe assumption? These lugs are the correct pitch, but the wrong seat to match the wheel. I could take a lug off, make the stupid drive to southeast LA/ Orange County to the wheel shop that seems to have the right lugs to match. Is the thread/ pitch on these roadsters unique or is it a typical Japanese style
Take a wheel with you. Need to know if the wheel is straight shank or tapered bore. Hard to tell from pics, but it looks like there might be a sleeve or washer under the lugnut.
Roadster standard wheel stud is 7/16-20.
David

GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

How long is the megaphone tip on the exhaust? I want to get one that begins at 2.25" for my custom exhaust, but don't know how long to order it. Thx!