Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread-take 2

Post by Curtis »

C.Costine wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:38 pm
Curtis wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:47 pm Noticed yesterday the car was running a bit hot at times. Checked the coolant today and put in between 1 and 2 quarts. What is normal coolant loss over time for these? I don't drive that much. Could be I did not get it topped off last year when I put in antifreeze.

Any pressurized system if operating properly will not loose any, However even a short overheat situation can cause it to push a little out.
Thanks. Must not have got it topped off. Can't remember if I did the push the thermostat open with the screwdriver trick.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

Champion Radiator part number?
Looked through the archives to no avail
thnx
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

Adding to the above question..........
I thermo-tested the radiator, therm tower, upper hose, lower hose, and head
the initial test from start up (after warm up) was lower rad hose 115 upper 85
after 20-30 min the upper and lower were rising to the point where the upper and lower showed approx 230
the gauge on the 67.5 1600 seemed to be accurate
Is this indicative of a clogged radiator?
therm was replaced last year
bled the system multiple times last year as well as the start of this year (today)
thnx
t
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

space wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 pm Adding to the above question..........
after 20-30 min the upper and lower were rising to the point where the upper and lower showed approx 230
bled the system multiple times last year as well as the start of this year (today)
thnx
t

What do you mean by "the gauge seemed to be accurate"? Are you intending to say that the gauge agrees with the hand held thermometer?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

C.Costine wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:46 am
space wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:02 pm Adding to the above question..........
thnx
t

What do you mean by "the gauge seemed to be accurate"? Are you intending to say that the gauge agrees with the hand held thermometer?
yes
autoairman
Roadster Newby
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by autoairman »

One of the oldest,and best ways to check for blockage is by feel.You should have unrestricted access to the front of the radiator to do this.I would run car off idle,for optimum coolant flow,and as thermostat opens,top tank and top of core will be hot,and with a clean radiator,will give up heat as it flows down.I can promise you a hand felt core at 230 degrees will get your attention quickly,180 degrees is much easier to make your diagnosis with if system is working properly.Also remember for every pound of pressure your system is under,boiling temp. is raised by 3 degrees roughly.If you are running 230 degrees and not under pressure,I would look at a gauge problem.I dont think you mentioned fan and shroud type.These are both very important to a car that has no ram air effect as in driving down the road.If you think air flow is a problem,put a fan in front of car while testing.
Just my 2 cents worth

l
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

Thanks auto
The shroud and fan are original
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

update
put a fan in front of radiator No Fan:
Top of radiator (TOR) 87 100
BOR 60 95
Tower 186 216
lower hose 73 83
upper hose 83 95
Block (plug side) 173 180

also there is some coolant around the tower cap (i suspect its the cap gasket)
thoughts?
T
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

The inside of at least the '70 'vent' windows are 'satin' Is this a 'coating' that can be removed other than by polishing?? It does polish up, but even with 'black' it takes quite a bit of effort.

Thanks.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

battery no charge-Curtis? others?

Post by C.Costine »

What is the correct pathway for the current to get from my alternator to my battery? The car came off the road in 2002 due to trouble shooting a no battery charge condition. I have been performing a major overhaul since Feb of 2015 and have it nearly done. Motor and both major wire harnesses were removed and most terminals labeled. The wire harnesses were closely inspected and a number of terminals replaced and some bypass jobs returned to original according to the 1967 wiring diagram on this site, with continuity between most appropriate ends checked . Currently the battery is getting no charge. The schematic shows just one wire from the battery, being the cable to the starter, but another wire (black) from the starter terminal to the ammeter, then the white from the ammeter to the fuse block. Here is where my wiring differs. I have one 10 gauge white from the battery to the fuse block by way of in front of the radiator. On the same terminal on the fuse block is a heavy black wire which I am pretty sure goes to the ammeter. The ammeter also has a heavy white wire but I don't recall ever checking where it went. The ammeter doesn't work during starting or running. Before installing the alternator, which I believe is the original, I motored it and it made current. I have two wires on the starter terminal besides the cable end, one being probably 12 gauge black, which appeared to be correct during inspection but now is suspect.

The major thing right now is that I just noticed an unused large wire terminal on the uppermost post on the alternator, that I had labeled "white, fuse block/battery" which tells me that I missed it during assembly and that I need to run a wire from this post to the battery probably #10. It appears also that I need to find if and where the white off the alternator connects to the extra black off the starter. OR, do I instead run from the ammeter to the starter, removing the white which I can't verify? One wire that I removed during dis-assembly was one with two fusible links in it that ran over the top of the transmission from the fuse block.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: battery no charge-Curtis? others?

Post by Curtis »

C.Costine wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:32 am What is the correct pathway for the current to get from my alternator to my battery? The car came off the road in 2002 due to trouble shooting a no battery charge condition. I have been performing a major overhaul since Feb of 2015 and have it nearly done. Motor and both major wire harnesses were removed and most terminals labeled. The wire harnesses were closely inspected and a number of terminals replaced and some bypass jobs returned to original according to the 1967 wiring diagram on this site, with continuity between most appropriate ends checked . Currently the battery is getting no charge. The schematic shows just one wire from the battery, being the cable to the starter, but another wire (black) from the starter terminal to the ammeter, then the white from the ammeter to the fuse block. Here is where my wiring differs. I have one 10 gauge white from the battery to the fuse block by way of in front of the radiator. On the same terminal on the fuse block is a heavy black wire which I am pretty sure goes to the ammeter. The ammeter also has a heavy white wire but I don't recall ever checking where it went. The ammeter doesn't work during starting or running. Before installing the alternator, which I believe is the original, I motored it and it made current. I have two wires on the starter terminal besides the cable end, one being probably 12 gauge black, which appeared to be correct during inspection but now is suspect.

The major thing right now is that I just noticed an unused large wire terminal on the uppermost post on the alternator, that I had labeled "white, fuse block/battery" which tells me that I missed it during assembly and that I need to run a wire from this post to the battery probably #10. It appears also that I need to find if and where the white off the alternator connects to the extra black off the starter. OR, do I instead run from the ammeter to the starter, removing the white which I can't verify? One wire that I removed during dis-assembly was one with two fusible links in it that ran over the top of the transmission from the fuse block.
This is how it is supposed to be wired.

http://www.kendo-usa.org/datsun/datsun_ ... _66_67.pdf
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

As posted earlier I have an overheating problem on my 67.5 1600
According to the laser therm the highest reading is on the therm tower
I have decided to remove the thermostat to determine weather its bad
I then will reverse flush w/vinegar
Is there any down side to this thinking?
Thnx
T
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

No, it's a good plan. Boil the OLD thermostat in a pan of water and see if it opens as it should - that will tell you real quick if it is the problem. What temp thermostat? there are 165 and 180 degree models, you may want to try the 165.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
space
Roadster Fanatic

Post by space »

couldnt find the part # for the 165

Removed Therm and ran car for 1/2 hour in the garage and temp gauge never went above 185
Apparently the new thermostat is defective
Thnx to all that offered support
T
2mAn
Roadsteraholic

Post by 2mAn »

Lower Chain Tensioner. Is that bad enough to replace, or is it a "might as well replace it" because its out?
Simon
Current Cars:
-1999 Porsche 911 4/98-build, 3.8L M96