Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: The Quick/Small/(Stupid?) Question Thread-take 2

Post by theunz »

sierra_edgar wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:44 pm Question about the fuel-line return on a 1970 1600 (This was an emissions car).
How likely is for this line to be use? I believe it was designed to carry extra gas that was left un-burn on the cabs back to the gas tank.
I pull the gas tank down and notice the inside of the line was dirty and clogged with really old gas residue.
Should I take the time to clean it?
Any advice greatly appreciate it.

Edgar S.
San Diego, California
Edgar, I'm not sure I completely understand your questions. If you are asking if you can just block the return line off, than I think that would be just fine, as many have done so without any ill effects. If you are asking if you should clean the return line, since you are going to block it off in the engine bay I would just worry about the loose residue at the tank connection.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

Ralph wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:54 pm
Ralph wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm Any quick pros & cons to upgrading to an electric radiator fan (Looks like an engine pull is in the cards and I'm at the "While I'm here I might as well..." stage) U20 with Champion rad, alternator already upgraded.
Any suggested brands & part numbers ... ether to shy away from ... or have worked really well?
Here's what I went with when I installed an electric fan on my aluminum champion radiator
- SPAL electric fan (SPAL30102042)
- SPAL radiator mounting brackets (SPAL30130011)
- SPAL wiring harness for electric fan (SPAL185FH)
- American Volt Adjustable Electric Radiator Fan Thermostat Switch Temperature Controller Probe Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E52O5DG/re ... KCb8W53ZFY

If I remember correctly, the SPAL wiring harness came with everything I needed, but I wanted to have the ability to adjust when the fan kicked on/off.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
Nissanman
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

sierra_edgar
I would advise cleaning out the return line to ensure it is effective.
Your Summer heat is probably similar to ours and to have the fuel circulating is the best way to avoid fuel vapor lock.
Shouldn't take too much effort: a good dose of carb. cleaner with an application straw and some compressed air should go a long way in removing the residue.
Just disconnect both ends of the pipe and catch anything that vomits out in a can or jar :idea:
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
ApexArbitrage
Roadster Nut

Post by ApexArbitrage »

Three stupid questions about the pedals in the Roadster I just acquired.
1. I noticed that the left edge of my right foot sometimes gets stuck under the brake pedal. Has anyone modified the pedal box to have more space between the brake and throttle or otherwise modified the pedals to prevent this?

2. I notice there's a bit of side-to-side play in the throttle pedal. Makes sense since it's just attached to a metal rod and sitting on the spring, but is this normal?

3. Are there good aftermarket floormats for the Roadster? Mine's seen better days and slides around more than I'd like.

My pedals for reference:
IMC-79.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max | Orange County, CA
insta - @apexarbitrage
1969 SRL311 "Fairlady Sif"
2014 Porsche Cayman S "Fandral"
2011 Porsche Cayenne S "Volstag"
Nissanman
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

1. Wear smaller shoes! No. I'm serious. I can't drive my Roadster with normal shoes, I have to wear what I think are called "deck" sneakers.
3. You could anchor the rear of the floor mat to the seat tracks with a tie.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
Ralph
Site Supporter

Post by Ralph »

AC77 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:19 pm
Here's what I went with when I installed an electric fan on my aluminum champion radiator
- SPAL electric fan (SPAL30102042)
- SPAL radiator mounting brackets (SPAL30130011)
- SPAL wiring harness for electric fan (SPAL185FH)
- American Volt Adjustable Electric Radiator Fan Thermostat Switch Temperature Controller Probe Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E52O5DG/re ... KCb8W53ZFY

If I remember correctly, the SPAL wiring harness came with everything I needed, but I wanted to have the ability to adjust when the fan kicked on/off.
Thanks Adam
Ralph

Rolling restoration of white 1968 SPL311
ApexArbitrage
Roadster Nut

Post by ApexArbitrage »

Nissanman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:51 pm 1. Wear smaller shoes! No. I'm serious. I can't drive my Roadster with normal shoes, I have to wear what I think are called "deck" sneakers.
3. You could anchor the rear of the floor mat to the seat tracks with a tie.
Thanks! I had the same idea re:1 -- time to break out the fancy narrow-toe driving mocassins. My Piloti Superstradas are too wide!
Max | Orange County, CA
insta - @apexarbitrage
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

bakerjf wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm I’m disassembling the e-brake and would appreciate any tips on removing the black handgrip from the metal arm. Thanks in advance!
JF, I rehabbed my brake handle by just scraping with my pocket knife and then smoothing up with 00 steel wool. It was surprisingly easy and now the handle looks new with no white just original looking black plastic.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

C.Costine wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:37 pm
bakerjf wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:18 pm I’m disassembling the e-brake and would appreciate any tips on removing the black handgrip from the metal arm. Thanks in advance!
JF, I rehabbed my brake handle by just scraping with my pocket knife and then smoothing up with 00 steel wool. It was surprisingly easy and now the handle looks new with no white just original looking black plastic.
Thanks, but actually the black handle itself is in good shape. My thought was to get the handle (arm) rechromed. Even though mine is clearly chrome, I’ve since been informed that some of the later cars had a more satin, soft silver finish. I’ll have to do some more investigating I guess.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

Later windshield washer nozzles on '68. I screwed the nozzle parts out of the base parts to clean them. There is a clear/yellow plastic sealing ring that fell apart. I picked up the smallest O-rings I could find but they are too large OD. What has anyone sourced for these?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

ApexArbitrage wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:45 pm Three stupid questions about the pedals in the Roadster I just acquired.
1. I noticed that the left edge of my right foot sometimes gets stuck under the brake pedal. Has anyone modified the pedal box to have more space between the brake and throttle or otherwise modified the pedals to prevent this?

2. I notice there's a bit of side-to-side play in the throttle pedal. Makes sense since it's just attached to a metal rod and sitting on the spring, but is this normal?

3. Are there good aftermarket floormats for the Roadster? Mine's seen better days and slides around more than I'd like.

My pedals for reference:

IMC-79.jpg
We had a group buy recently on Datsun logo matts, and there is ongoing discussion about other matts now.
I noted you also have no rubber on your peddles. Would probably make it worse width-wise but they're good to have for grip. The peddles are easy to remove, so one option would be to have it cut and welded so it shifts the peddle to the left a bit. I dont think it would upset the throw or cause problems for the master. Seems to me it would be easy, but I don't weld.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ApexArbitrage
Roadster Nut

Post by ApexArbitrage »

Gregs672000 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:57 am We had a group buy recently on Datsun logo matts, and there is ongoing discussion about other matts now.
I noted you also have no rubber on your peddles. Would probably make it worse width-wise but they're good to have for grip. The peddles are easy to remove, so one option would be to have it cut and welded so it shifts the peddle to the left a bit. I dont think it would upset the throw or cause problems for the master. Seems to me it would be easy, but I don't weld.
Thanks, I'll search for the mats. I've been mulling getting a set of aftermarket pedals but like you said that would not help the width issue. Don't know how to weld either, so hoping to avoid that option...
Max | Orange County, CA
insta - @apexarbitrage
sierra_edgar
Roadster Nut

Post by sierra_edgar »

Edgar, I'm not sure I completely understand your questions. If you are asking if you can just block the return line off, than I think that would be just fine, as many have done so without any ill effects. If you are asking if you should clean the return line, since you are going to block it off in the engine bay I would just worry about the loose residue at the tank connection.
[/quote]

Thank you for your response theunz, and sorry for not being clear, but you did answer my question.
I have two options.
1) clean the line
2) block the line.

Based on your feedback and the feedback of others I will clean the line.

Thanks
Edgar Sierra
San Diego, CA
1970 1600 Roadster
1969 2000 Roadster
1978 Sunny B210
sierra_edgar
Roadster Nut

Post by sierra_edgar »

Nissanman wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:44 pm sierra_edgar
I would advise cleaning out the return line to ensure it is effective.
Your Summer heat is probably similar to ours and to have the fuel circulating is the best way to avoid fuel vapor lock.
Shouldn't take too much effort: a good dose of carb. cleaner with an application straw and some compressed air should go a long way in removing the residue.
Just disconnect both ends of the pipe and catch anything that vomits out in a can or jar :idea:
Thank you for your advice Nissanman!
I was not taking into consideration the summer heats. I will bleed the lines and clean them with carb cleaner.
Thanks again!
Edgar Sierra
San Diego, CA
1970 1600 Roadster
1969 2000 Roadster
1978 Sunny B210
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

Torque value for the screws that hold the front cover plate onto the transmission? They are M10. Can't find it in the wiki.

Also my ? from earlier about the tiny washers in the windshield washer nozzles?
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
Ford F-350 6.0