Best Budget Handling Upgrades?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Re: Best Budget Handling Upgrades?

Post by JT68 »

If you think about it, even minimal common sense should tell you that suspension and brakes are the wrong systems for novice mechanics. The car, yours and other peoples lives depends on your ability to do the job right. Assembly errors or novice mistakes can be disastrous even at moderate speeds

If you are not 300% positive that you can correctly properly assemble, diagnose, understand the function, check and re-check critical components, I STRONGLY suggest having a professional do the work. J
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

What he said.
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

note taken ! thx
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
AC77
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by AC77 »

JT68 wrote:If you think about it, even minimal common sense should tell you that suspension and brakes are the wrong systems for novice mechanics. The car, yours and other peoples lives depends on your ability to do the job right. Assembly errors or novice mistakes can be disastrous even at moderate speeds

If you are not 300% positive that you can correctly properly assemble, diagnose, understand the function, check and re-check critical components, I STRONGLY suggest having a professional do the work. J
Damn! I'm only about 281% positive. Game over for me :( Thanks for raining on my parade.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

AC77 wrote:
JT68 wrote:If you think about it, even minimal common sense should tell you that suspension and brakes are the wrong systems for novice mechanics. The car, yours and other peoples lives depends on your ability to do the job right. Assembly errors or novice mistakes can be disastrous even at moderate speeds

Damn! I'm only about 281% positive. Game over for me :( Thanks for raining on my parade.

Nah, the reality is, if you are good enough to safely change a wheel bearing, a tie rod or a shock, you can do most things on the suspension if you take your time. Definitely greasy, dirty work on most cars.

Common gotchas are:

Not having the right tools
Not having safe jack and jackstands or a lift
Breaking fasteners
Over-tightening fasteners
under-tightening fasteners
Forgeting to tighten a fastener
Crossthreading/stripping a fastener
No being able to get certain component loose or off the car without damage
Damaging a component by beating on it with a hammer
Re-using worn out stuff
No understanding what is under load and what is not
Trying to rush the job
Trying to rush the job

If you can avoid those and don't mind getting dirty, chances are you can do the work without a problem. Latex gloves will save your hands from some serious grime.

Jt
LT/JT
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

I mostly agree with JT, especially regarding taking safety seriously.
These repairs in my opinion, can be done if you ask questions and go step by step without getting distracted by something else. You have to get the right tools or borrow them. With the internet, forums and Youtube, Skype it has never been easier to be an amateur. Learning the 311 site WELL, and how to Search was critical for me.
Thanks to Steve for the site otherwise it would have been impossible so many smart people here , answering questions. Some are MIA unfortunately, but guys move on.
If you get stuck a pro mechanic can usually be found.
Compared to many drivers who are oblivious about their cars, at least looking and listening is a step up. With perseverence and patience alot can be accomplished. Most guys on here are amateurs not pros,and look at the amazing work!
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
cktrap
Roadsteraholic

Post by cktrap »

Nicely said
Keith
'70 SRL311
'10 GMC 2500HD
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I'll clarify, you don't have to be a certified or licensed professional to do safe work on the suspension, but you do need to be competent and careful. Be sure to double check your work before test driving and be sure everything is right before driving at speed! Even forgetting to tighten lug nuts can kill someone, same goes for steering brakes and suspension parts.
LT/JT
bakerjf
Site Supporter

Post by bakerjf »

JT68 wrote:I'll clarify, you don't have to be a certified or licensed professional to do safe work on the suspension, but you do need to be competent and careful. Be sure to double check your work before test driving and be sure everything is right before driving at speed! Even forgetting to tighten lug nuts can kill someone, same goes for steering brakes and suspension parts.
True dat. The following clip should be required viewing for all Roadster owners. :wink:
J. Baker
Lafayette, CA
'69 2000 (Solex)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Why you need good brakes, suspension and tires.
Still the best:

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Pjackb
Roadsteraholic

Post by Pjackb »

bakerjf wrote:
JT68 wrote:I'll clarify, you don't have to be a certified or licensed professional to do safe work on the suspension, but you do need to be competent and careful. Be sure to double check your work before test driving and be sure everything is right before driving at speed! Even forgetting to tighten lug nuts can kill someone, same goes for steering brakes and suspension parts.
True dat. The following clip should be required viewing for all Roadster owners. :wink:
That’s what I thought
Smoking kills
jhayden
Site Supporter

Post by jhayden »

Linda wrote:Why you need good brakes, suspension and tires.
Still the best:

Linda
Wow!

Sacrebleu – Sacre-Coeur! (and, “We’ll always have Paris.”) Thank you, Linda, for posting this – first time we’d seen this excellent vintage film.

Actually, though, it belongs on a new thread: “Best UNLIMITED Budget Handling Upgrades,” unless some of the “boy racer” types out there say that their roadster could already do what this car did, even with a frog driver!

Jon and Kathy

SRL LT1 (numbers don't match :( )
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

It is an OLD video but still one that you can't help admire for it's style and venue. Directed by Claude Lelouche.
Good brakes imperative.
Linda
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

wow those are some old clips love it thanks for sharing them you two
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I had put the tires back on my Volvo, ran the lug nuts up quickly with a DeWalt 18v impact and then went back the next day to finish the brake job on the other side. About 300 miles later, my wife was driving it about 20 miles from home on a local road, called and said it felt funny. 5 minutes later was the come and get me call. It lost 2 of 5 lug bolts on the left front, 2 more were almost gone, and one was holding. Borrowed 1 lug from 2 other wheels jacked it up and got the wheel on.
So apparently forgot to torque the lug bolts and the battery in the DeWalt was getting low, so they were not very tight. I was ASE certified in a previous life, this was pure negligence. It's first time in 35 years playing with cars, but one time too many. It could have been a WHOLE lot worse, we were doing 70-80 mph the night before for 4 hours, could have been bad enough in a Volvo, deadly in a roadster.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit