stuck removing fan / radiator

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

oppositeLock
Roadster Fanatic

stuck removing fan / radiator

Post by oppositeLock »

I'm swapping out the 7-blade fan on my '68 R16. Taking the bolts out 1/4 turn at a time was taking forever and I kinda doubt I'd be able to install the spacer and 4-blade in the same tight space, so I decided to remove the radiator. Upper radiator hose is easy, obviously.

The top end of the lower radiator hose is pretty solidly attached to the water neck...can't turn it after opening up the clamp. The bottom end of the lower radiator hose will loosen but I cannot push it back far enough to clear the radiator fitting (and getting it back on seems like it will be difficult). So I'm kinda stuck unless I cut the hose, which I'd prefer not to do. It's an older OEM hose - otherwise in good condition but it's obviously been on there a while. I have non-OEM replacement hoses from Dean on hand just in case things go really south.

Will the radiator and lower hose come out as a unit together and clear the (detached) fan shroud? One way or another I have to deal with the bottom end of the lower hose...
'68 R16 + 5spd
nismou20
Roadsteraholic

Re: stuck removing fan / radiator

Post by nismou20 »

Can be done both ways but shroud definitely needs to come loose. On my last attempt at this I loosened the lower hose at radiator. True it is a tight area to reinstall but with WD40 some cussing and the help of one of those super long nose bent pliers it can be done. Dont forget to put the shroud back in before reinstalling the radiator later. Ask me why I know. I would find a way to leave it hanging on the engine side.
2004 Chevy Tracker
2010 RAV4
1969 Datsun Roadster
2005 Lotus Elise
1995 Toyota Tercel (Poormans Corolla)
2001 Fleetwood Jamboree RV
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

If you detach the shroud from the radiator, it should move backwards enough to get in from the front, at least it has done so for me.
Suggest you put some cardboard against the radiator a) to avoid bending the fins and b) to avoid scraping your knuckles.
Using a small wrench that clears the top small hose, you should be able to make more than a 1/4 turn.
Also, suggest you 'chase' the threads so that you can finger tighten.
It's fiddly, but doable.
Good luck.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I would loosen the shroud and little water tower hose.
Take the lower hose off at the top only, as well as the top radiator hose at the tower.
Take the radiator supports off and lift the whole thing out.
Easier than getting the hose onto the radiator down below, I think.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
oppositeLock
Roadster Fanatic

Post by oppositeLock »

I managed to get the bottom end of the lower hose free since the top end of it is locked on there. I may replace that hose anyway, in which case I'll pull the support and re-assemble with Linda's method. Hybrid! :D

I actually figured out the cardboard shield thing before destroying too many fins. I definitely would not have been able to deal with the new fan & spacer without pulling the radiator.

The story continues with bolt circle fun: http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28098
'68 R16 + 5spd
bergcc
Roadster Fanatic

Post by bergcc »

I finally realized after multiple radiator pulls that it comes off with just 4 bolts without removing anything else except the horns. I can now pull it in about 10 min or less when I have my air wrench going. I typically leave the hoses attached to the radiator and disconnect at the motor.

While you have your radiator off, consider buying some black spray paint and freshen up the color. I always say I am going to do this on the next pull and I never do because I want to go drive! You will love the new fan! Once it's quiet, then 5 other odd noises will bug you!
69-70 311 in Pittsburgh
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

The previous post intrigues me, as bergcc indicated a radiator pull is possible with " 4 bolts & the horns." Since the shroud is attached to the radiator with 4 phillips-head screws, I am assuming he left the shroud on. I would like to so the same, since I can't get the lower-left shroud screw out no-way. I think I probably painted over the screw-head when I did a complete tear-down in '82-'83. I hit the horn bolts with WD-40 today, so I can try & get them off tomorrow. I have removed the upper cross-brace, but cannot get at the lower brace nuts with the horns attached. BTW, did you leave the front lighting harness in place, or un-hook all lights/horns to get it out of the way? I can understand why Nissan used lock-nuts on the braces ( to stiffen all the front-end sheet metal and grille ), but it is a real B**** getting a socket around them inside the braces. If I am going about this all wrong, please set me straight, before I chew up my aging fingers any farther.

Garry S.
Location Southern Cal
69' 2000 Roadster, being repaired by O/O
2001 Mercedes ML430; Was Wife's ride, now Grocery-hauler
2005 Jeep Wrangler X; Was Motor-home Toad, now local shopper
2005 33' Dolphin motor-home; Was vacation home, now guest house
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

if you can 'dislocate' the fan, then it is all quite easy.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

One of my favorite tasks to make under hood work easier, was to removed the 4-blade fan and radiator shroud, and replace them with an electric fan w/ built in shroud. It has made access to the radiator, its hoses, and everything else in front of the engine such a pure delight, I was actually able to do a really nice job of polishing the timing cover ! Don't forget to put some silicone grease or similar lube around the radiator and water pump necks, or any other coolant connections, for the next time you ever have to service those. You'll thank yourself.
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

23yrRebuild wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:18 pm One of my favorite tasks to make under hood work easier, was to removed the 4-blade fan and radiator shroud, and replace them with an electric fan w/ built in shroud. It has made access to the radiator, its hoses, and everything else in front of the engine such a pure delight, I was actually able to do a really nice job of polishing the timing cover ! Don't forget to put some silicone grease or similar lube around the radiator and water pump necks, or any other coolant connections, for the next time you ever have to service those. You'll thank yourself.
+1. Much better sound too.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA