Roadster Newby

Re: Please help E Coast electronic Ignition

Post by Young-gunroadster »

Aidan- How'd you fix it mate?
Young-gunroadster
Roadster Newby

Post by Young-gunroadster »

Confirming the issue was solved yesterday with help from Tom, ultimately no glaring culprit was identified. It appears the first distributor's rotor shaft assembly may have been hung up by a little slag from a weld; and the second distributor which was showing some advance already, appears just needed to be dissassembled and the governer spring ever so slightly loosened, now i'm getting atleast 10' of mechanical advance; I may make further adjustments to get more advance but i'll probably leave that up to Rebello Racing when i take the car in for it's dyno.

Thanks to all who offered help,
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

Hi to all, and especially Tom, for identifying several serious problems with the E Coast roadster EI dizzy. I have yet to order mine, as I am fixing as many ""front engine" problems I can, before upgrading to EI. Original problem was blown water pump, so I ordered a new on plus 4-blade fan & spacer from Rallye. After reading boo-coo posts on the U20 "death rattle", I pulled the valve cover & plugs, rotated the crank to #1 TDC & checked the timing train. Chain is too slack, so I need to shim he upper tensioner. Cam sprocket looks clean ( no under-cutting ) & sprocket timing mark is at 3-o'clock, so no jumped tooth. I pulled all the smog stuff & boxed it, but still need to plug the intake manifold fittings. Old dizzy is set at 0deg TDC, but will leave it alone until I et the new EI one, to ensure correct drive-gear positioning.

Request to Tom --- Please update the Installation instructions, & post either to the forum or the E C Roadster web-site. The existing set (copyright 2010) includes most of the fixes/cautions from this thread, but nothing on the red/green wire polarity problem on the module.

Thanks,

Garry S.
Location Southern Cal
69' 2000 Roadster, being repaired by O/O
2001 Mercedes ML430; Was Wife's ride, now Grocery-hauler
2005 Jeep Wrangler X; Was Motor-home Toad, now local shopper
2005 33' Dolphin motor-home; Was vacation home, now guest house
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Sounds like you're on track. Shimming the tensioner is no big deal. Shim it so there's a little movement... I think mine is about 1/4 inch travel or so. You may need a new gasket, or may need to make one. If so, be sure to keep the oil feed hole clear (you'll see). I like to use a little bit of blue locktite on the bolts, and keep in mind they are long but thin and don't need a crazy lot of torque. I also put a rag down the front of the engine when I'm removing the tensioner just in case something drops...
Yep, wait on the timing change from 0 to 17 until the EI distributor is installed... totally different curve.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Geistfahrar wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:17 pm Request to Tom --- Please update the Installation instructions, & post either to the forum or the E C Roadster web-site. The existing set (copyright 2010) includes most of the fixes/cautions from this thread, but nothing on the red/green wire polarity problem on the module.

Steve updated in the Wiki and I updated on my site. Thanks for the nudge.
Tom
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG