Removing Water Pump

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Re: Removing Water Pump

Post by Mainer311 »

notoptoy wrote:I would clean as much of that loose rust off as possible. I would also consider putting a garden hose in and flushing out as much junk as possible now that you have those "big holes" for junk to flow out of.
I had bearing balls come out of mine!
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

Jdflyer wrote:I have an extra spacer that I pulled off my car if you want. It's biodegradable too!
IMG_0017.JPG
That is too cool! Looks like some nice strong oak. I appreciate the offer....but I'm gonna pass.
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

Gar's68 wrote:Can you believe it....this is the original fan clutch and 7 blade fan! This fan clutch reminds me of those old centrifugal clutches that I used to use on a mini bike back in the 70's. I'll be buying a spacer that's for sure!
A spacer with a 7 blade fan will roar at hi rpm, but it will stay very cool!

I went with a flex fan.

Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

spyder wrote:
Gar's68 wrote:Can you believe it....this is the original fan clutch and 7 blade fan! This fan clutch reminds me of those old centrifugal clutches that I used to use on a mini bike back in the 70's. I'll be buying a spacer that's for sure!
A spacer with a 7 blade fan will roar at hi rpm, but it will stay very cool!

I went with a flex fan.

Yeah...the 7 blade may keep it too cool and not allow it to run at optimum temp. Probably not good for the gas mileage but she won't overheat!

When this water pump thing happened the other day, the car was idling while I was adjusting the carbs. I heard a strange sound and then it quickly sounded normal again. Walked away from the car to get a tool and that's when I noticed the car leaking, what initially looked like oil to me. I thought I blew a front crank seal or something. I could wiggle the fan, and, see the pulley moving a little, and I didn't think that was normal so off came the pump. The spot on the asphalt, where the fluid leaked, is all but gone. So, if it was oil, you'd think their would still be a big spot on the pavement still (1' x 1.5'). I pulled the backing plate off of the pump with ease. Once the two screws came out (with the help of a little heat) the plate pretty much just fell off. The cast impeller is not rubbing on anything but it just doesn't feel (and sound) like it's turning as smoothly as it should.
68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by 68DSU »

If you had a clutch on there, the fan should spin free with a cold, not running engine. A jiggy fan would not necessarily indicate a bad pump.
I pulled the clutch many eons ago when I was a high schooler. I believe I ran it with the guts out of the clutch. This was before spacers were available. Wiser heads will let you know if this is advisable.
BE CAREFUL of the spacer behind the pump. In my 68 it is an aluminum casting with studs sticking out. If you break it you have to know someone in a shipyard to get it repaired. :wink:
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
Gars68
Site Supporter

Post by Gars68 »

New water pump and spacer fixed the leak. Didn't mess with the aluminum spacer behind the pump. I used Permatex Right- Stuff for sealing....love that stuff. Flushed everything really well. Also recurved distributor and rebalanced carbs. This car is a blast to drive. Now all I need is a 5 speed!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Geistfahrar
Roadster Nut

Post by Geistfahrar »

Fan, spacer & pully finally off. Can't determine size of bolt under the WP water outlet ( doesn't match any of my metric sockets ). Is it perhaps an SAE bolt? Best match seems to be an 11/16" spark-plug socket. Advice requested before I screw things up.

Thanks ---

Garry S.
Location Southern Cal
69' 2000 Roadster, being repaired by O/O
2001 Mercedes ML430; Was Wife's ride, now Grocery-hauler
2005 Jeep Wrangler X; Was Motor-home Toad, now local shopper
2005 33' Dolphin motor-home; Was vacation home, now guest house