6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Re: clogged fuel line won't stay running

Post by Lorna c »

redroadster wrote:http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=15
is /was my post ...the S bend I have may be only on late 69-70 311 , with the reclaim tank ...I have seen it on earlier ones though, maybe a swap ....how about a pic of yours @ pismo Beach ?
Whish are you referring to . By the tank or up in the firewall ?
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

redroadster wrote:Your pic shows 3/8 copper fuel lines?
Might want to rethink that ...in a wreck
Who me ? On what ? I've not cleaned my exit/return line . My tank could have some still been through 2 filters since cleaning . My incoming line seems to be open all the time now it's my return . If it was me they asked for a picture of I'll try to post a pic. My phone is telling me I'm too full on memory to complete process or something . Tried twice . So I'll address that and get back with pic . Especially these needles I have I think might belong to someone else .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Oh and I believe , correct me if I'm way off , yes some sediment was under floats , but I've also cleaned out my return lines again and car is driving excellent again ,But , can this even happen ..... If the exit line is blocked off stuffed up with some old crud A ) would that back up the carbs and the eventuality flood out the carbs causing backfire down tailpipe and blacking the pistons inside carbs ? What was told for checking sparkplug is awesome way for me to know if it's only rich during idol ,thx . But plugs seem to be running ok tan in color . But can that even happen ? It's driving so much better it's hard to believe it's not . But I've been way wrong before in my thoughts on things . So if anyone know pls tell .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

IMG_20170411_234639363.jpg
this is the needles . Look familiar to anyone on work-on /buying or selling or something ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

14920185581471262925486.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

The cap with tape has been melted from a fuel fire I had last week . Anyone know how I can find another one ?

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Here's the back of the line at other curves .
14920197353321625671256.jpg

Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

You don't even need a return line for it to work properly, so disregard anything having to do with it for the moment. The return typically is only open with the thermal valve gets hot and opens up. This is to prevent vapor lock in hot weather. Some people just cap it off such that the full fuel pressure from the pump dumps into the bowls when the needle opens. If you get vapor lock, then obviously you'd need it working correctly.

If you're running rich check the floats and float needles first. Also check needle valve adjustment (I.e. Float level). It's possible that you have one that sunk or something.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Ok verified the floats and measurements . Seem to be ok . One of the plunger things under carbs with fuel knob on it , was sticking open . Cleaned all that up and had return cleaned gooood all is purring like a kitten again and responsive again too . Whooohoo it's funny how when the motor fades down slowly you don't notice so much until it's back again .. love love this car !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

And maybe it's because I had it super rich before but when that was plugged up before ,return line , car wasn't happy at all . Like I said maybe because fuel rich mix because come to find out after plugging this port on the intake opening closed , I've had the gas turned essay down from then and it's doing great on freeway . I couldn't get much out of her before I unplugged that return . Not in the way of clogged up , like a cork was out at the end of the carbs before the line into the firewall . If 12:00 is starting point I was at 45 mins past . Now I'm like 5-10 past . Way down ..

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Whooohoo . Pretty bad when your excited about a new air filter but I think it'll really be happier to breath more .
1492047039438724532669.jpg

Bob569
Forum Newb

Post by Bob569 »

I'm having a similar problem. Did you ever get this fixed &, if so, how?
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Bob569 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:10 pm I'm having a similar problem. Did you ever get this fixed &, if so, how?
yes I did . at first I took a brake cable with a knot on the end and dragged it through with brake or carb spray in first . that worked for a while but I ultimately had to cut out the curved lined in motor area and back by tank and hooked softlines leaving the hookups on as is back in the tank .. take a look down the MacGyver hole into your tank that's in the trunk and see what your tank looks like ..
start with that.. I had to soak mine in vinegar above the corrosion line all night and then power washed it out the whole using gas to run the water out when I was done.. I went through over 30 fuel filters in the first year so start with that.. then snake your lines real good and see if that holds up.. if not maybe you'll have to cut your curved ones out to .. the fuel kept binding in there with today's fuel being so fun crunchy when it sits for a minute .. and it just had to go on mine . made it for several months though before bogging down with that flutter sound it gives when starved for gas . anyway easy fix this way really if taken in the right order . do tank first . then lines . good luck !

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Bob569 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:10 pm I'm having a similar problem. Did you ever get this fixed &, if so, how?
oh and make sure your gas cap is vented .. or remove the rubber on it if not . I drilled a small hole in mine . that will completly stop the works too . in case you haven't heard of that one yet ..