clogged fuel line won't stay running

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: clogged fuel line won't stay running

Post by notoptoy »

But, is it fixed?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

OK well , I almost ended up in Mexico . wow is all I can say ! there's no way that car could have ran stronger , until I opened up that line . it's lighter ,more responsive on the throttle , even the clutch seems tighter . it responds faster somehow . I think I need to adjust the gas maybe . I smell alot but it could be me . but boy . not so much as a hick-up and it only studered when I put the same gas on from the stop position as I let off the clutch . good when I lesson it... it jumps off the line now , and freeway .... forget it . I can hear a difference in the sound it's making as it rolls down . wow lighter and breathing I guess . but wow . wow .. it pops on 4th gear now . like squeal tires maybe if I tried . didn't have that jump past 2ed before ... this could get dangerous ! hahaha but WHOOOHOOO it's clear now ! oh boy it's clear .
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

YES ITS FIXED .. OH BOY ITS FIXED . WHAT A CRAZY FAST CAR ! I MEAN it was fast before . but oh my goodness this thing hauls butt . I know now why I was pulled over so much back in the 80s . haha .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

My money is on the S bend in the line where the tank and line connect
The line is smaller than 1/4" to start now with the sharp S bend and a bit of calcium it is down to 1/16" - 1/8" and gives this problem ... sorry about your troubles

it was clogged at every bend . there's a few along the fire wall . it seemed each section had a snug area that was gone after I pulled the knot through .

redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

Sure sounds fixed ...great ..any pictures?
Mine was hard hard calcium
you may want to still check that s bend right out of the tank
I posted a thread on how I improved mine , with pics ,but havent found it here yet I noticed about the same improvement you stated, surged occasional stumble
I found a sock screen/filter that fits right on the pick up too
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I tried to post them but it wouldn't take it . I'll try again . I did get the one your speaking of along with the entire line . it's been such a headache for this past 6months I wanted to make sure it was clear . boy what a nightmare dealing with this . my mechanic held onto "he dropped the tank and cleaned it " with it on the bill , but a month ago or whenever I finally opened my tank and cleaned it , he told me he just looked and didn't see anything . so I opened my tank and saw the mess in there I'd been driving with . hahaha that is still running clean now but this exit line hasn't been touched untill yesterday . boy what a difference in the way it performs . I honestly didn't think it could get any better . but it did . haha WHOOOHOOO

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I had a short video to post but wouldn't allow it so I have these two from yesterday. took it section by section until I went into the tank...
IMG_20170305_160518.jpg
IMG_20170305_160544.jpg
IMG_20170305_160544.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Yeah! Glad to hear things cleared up! While i was reading your posts i was thinking "She's just testing you to see if you're REALLY a Roadster lover." Like all of us, she came with some "baggage" from previous "lovers", but now that you have proven your loyalty she's showing you what she's all about. Sounds like you're on your way to a long and happy relationship, congrats!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

hahaha I've felt the same thing . about 100 different times though . I hope we're at the end of it all . I've been a little too intimate with blowing these hoses like I have . shoot I've put in 20hr days learning and hoping I don't do anything stupid that's too expensive to fix as I learn from a book . haha . ooh softtop came today . whoohoo . except idk how it goes on ...

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I posted a thread on how I improved mine , with pics ,but havent found it here yet I noticed about the same improvement you stated, surged occasional stumble
I found a sock screen/filter that fits right on the pick up too

I was wondering if some of those bends could easily slow things down as it coughed out some last pieces today . I'm wondering if I should open some of the bends a touch . as it gets close to the tank there's a section of metal missing and regular fuel line connecting the line to the same line into the tank fitting . I noticed a few curves/bends a bit squished it appears I would think shrinking the hole . did you find that too ? that maybe some of those are almost set up to clogged easily and it's better to completely replace the bends for fresh or a touch wider openings ? how do I find what you came up with .?

C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

From another forum about old vehicles that I frequent, I learned that a gas tank that appears to be pristine when you look down onto it, can actually be harboring cups full of rust on the underside of the top, that you cannot see without a mirror. After all, during years of storage, with a half a tank of gas, the sides and bottom are protected, but the top is exposed to humid air passing in and out of the vent. Your mechanic may actually have cleaned out what he could see but as soon as you started to drive it, the sloshing gasoline would have dislodged rust flakes from the top which were then drawn into the fuel line.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
redroadster
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by redroadster »

http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 6&start=15
is /was my post ...the S bend I have may be only on late 69-70 311 , with the reclaim tank ...I have seen it on earlier ones though, maybe a swap ....how about a pic of yours @ pismo Beach ?
Datsun dealer tech 76 to 87
Mitsubishi tech 9 yrs
Volvo, Kia, Toyota too
6 month - Rolls Royce
ASE MASTER TECH 96. - 11
70 SPL 86 Z31 T , Sportster
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

I'll look . it's not as easy with the tire on . I'm installing my top rt now and have a question on position of it before I make holes . I'm going to I guess start another thread for that and be back with that picture ... thx for the help . I really don't want any more issues with this but I feel if I don't do more it's inevitable .

Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Ok well as predicted they're causing trouble again . I think I'll do a bypass on the curves they have bent in this exit fuel line . It has been backing up for a couple days now again and flooding out my carbs and backfire .(I think ) either that or my carbs r out of wack somehow . I'll be switching a bypass on the curves first and see what happens to carbs after that before I go and adjust those .. wish me luck ! Back with info on that later today ...

Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Your carbs could be flooding because all of the sediment reached your float needles and clogged them into the open position. It's happened to me before. I installed a new set when I was rebuilding my car.

If the needles are stuck open or slightly open, you'll either flood the bowls or cause a rich condition.
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".