No Electrical..help

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

eastmedia
Site Supporter

No Electrical..help

Post by eastmedia »

I was trying to track down a weak charging problem. I changed the grounds and seemed to have it fixed. Just after getting it back together I went to start it up and when I turned the key I heard a "zap" and now I have nothing. No lights, no guage power, no electrical anything.

The only thing that happens when I turn the key is my aftermarket temp guage pegs BACKWARDS. Ammeter & fuel guage don't move. Battery is still fine showing 14V.

Stock alternator, etc... Any help is appreciated
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

Fuses still good?
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Fuses are all fine.
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
TR

Post by TR »

In general:
Make sure the harness is not burnt and proper fusing is in place across the amp meter circuit.

Your issue:

Sounds like you grounded something that does not want to be and it fried. Look for anything that looks like it got hot. Hopefully the ignition switch did not cook.

Un-do everything you did, replace any blown fuses, and rehook one at a time until the problem comes back...That is the one with the issue.

Good luck! TR
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

I just checked it again and I notice that when I pull the light switch out, it also causes the temp guage (aftermarket) to peg negative. The lights don't come on, but does that mean that the power is still there just still shorted or something?

I read in the manual about the headlight having a relay. Could this cause the problem? Anyway to check the relay or bypass it?

How can I check the ignition? I am able to remove the plug. Anyone now how to jump the wires to operate it without the key? (also known as hotwiring?)
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
TR

Post by TR »

You've got something grounded that shouldn't be...Either because something fried or a wrong connection...All the other items you describe sound to be symptoms of the same. Don't waste your time on witch hunts based on new findings. Go back, disconnect your recent work and see if the problem goes away. If so, touch each item to ground and see if you get a big spark, blown fuse or anything else odd...That will be your trouble maker...TR
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

Thanks TR.

Went backward and reconnected as it was and what do you know...It works!!

It still seems to be charging a little low. The ammeter starts off in the + area and in about 15 seconds slowly creeps to just below the middle line.

When I step on the brake pedal, it shoots to the + side again until I release the pedal.

To test the alternator I removed the + battery cable while the engine was running and it was fine until I turned on the headlights, then it died. Looks like the alternator is not making enough charge?

Ron
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
TR

Post by TR »

You know what? The symptom you describe (starts + then trails to negative and jumps around when a small load is applied) is one I had on a 510 a long, long time ago. I think I traced it to the external voltage regulator. The alternator was charging, but the regulator was all over the place and not consistently charging the battery.

If it is drivable, you can always take it to Kragen for a charging system evaluation, although I prefer to bring those monkeys just the alternator...
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

When I step on the brake pedal, it shoots to the + side again until I release the pedal.

To test the alternator I removed the + battery cable while the engine was running and it was fine until I turned on the headlights, then it died. Looks like the alternator is not making enough charge?
From your description it sounds like your alternator has an open diode. If this is the case it's capacity to charge will be reduced to approximately 50% and will require higher rpm to build voltage. You can confirm this with ohmeter by testing the six diodes in the alternator. They are accessible through the rear opening. The three diodes adjacent to the output terminal should conduct to the terminal, the opposite three should conduct to the case or ground. If you do have an open diode its an easy fix for a rebuilder. If the diodes are good check the regulator under load.

I hope this helps.
Garth
_________
68' 2000
TR

Post by TR »

Garth - That's great knowledge gained for all of us, thanks! TR
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Re: No Electrical..help

Post by Linda »

I am reviving this thread because I wanted to know how to do the last test mentioned...testing the alternator diodes.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Also Garth mentions "checking the regulator under load" . ?
Thanks,
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
datsunrides
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by datsunrides »

Holy graveyard Batman! :lol:

Think of diodes as electrical check valves. Current should only be able to flow one way. With an ohmeter, you should see nothing going one way and infinity the other. The loaded test Garth is mentioning is probably done with a tester that has a carbon pile (old tech) or load cell. Basically, it induces a load onto the charging system to check the amperage output of the alternator.

Mark
1966 Roadster
Turbo / EFI U20 (T25 w/ SDS EMU.)
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Alright, so Mark, break that down for the electrically-challenged :) .
What steps do I take with my analog multimeter?

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
ttyR2
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ttyR2 »

With your ohmmeter set to the 'ohm' scale, touch the positive lead to the terminal on one of the diodes, the black lead to the case of the alternator. You either will or won't get any resistance (should be infinite resistance in one direction). On each diode, test one way, then flip the leads. When you find a diode that is either zero resistance in both directions or has infinite resistance in both directions, you found a bad diode.

Just remember diodes act like a one-way checkvalve for electricity. Current flows one direction but not the other.

One thing I'm not sure of is if each diode needs to be disconnected (unsoldered) from the others to test properly. Anyone?
Jeremy

1964 Datsun 1500 SPL310
now sporting a '67 R-16 and 5-speed
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

ttyR2 wrote: One thing I'm not sure of is if each diode needs to be disconnected (unsoldered) from the others to test properly. Anyone?
Usually not, should be able to read them. Last bad set I saw were physically broken/blown up.

Linda, (and anyone else with an analog meter)...Watch Sears, they have an autoranging digital voltmeter that goes on sale for less than $25.00, great tool, comes with digital temp and is user friendly. On sale this week. analog is good for some things, digital is fast and easy to interpret.
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_ ... rical+Shop

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit