BRE Style Exhaust - Possible?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

BRE Style Exhaust - Possible?

Post by DatsunRoadster2000 »

I've been running through the forum gathering ideas about best options for a new exhaust system. I'm a big fan of the BRE Style exhausts that are on the 240's, and was curious if a setup like this would work on a roadster. With the positioning of the gas tank and rear end, I assume it would be a clearance nightmare, and you'd have to do a Y-pipe somewhere to split it. But that said it could have a nice racey look to it, in black especially.

Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

If you can park it, and not turn around to look at it when you walk away...
...you haven't bought the right car
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: BRE Style Exhaust - Possible?

Post by notoptoy »

It doesn't seem very practical or possible with our gas tanks right there.....
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Hey Jeff,
I feel compelled to reply here only because I noticed that is a picture I captured!
It is Randy Yee's RB26-powered S30 from JCCS 2010:

I always liked the BRE-style exhaust on the S30s and I drooled over this one in person...very cool!

Anything is possible...but you mentioned "best options for a new exhaust system" so what are you looking for? JT68 makes the best bolt-in OEM style exhaust system in SS---for stock and highly modified engines:
details here:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 68#p215065
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 68#p221756

For fitting the 240z-style pipes, consider running them as close as possible to tank and using a heat shield of some sort. Again, it's not the "best" exhaust system as it's going to be heavier...but I think it is totally possible and would look rad!

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Mike Unger
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Mike Unger »

The reason for the dual exhaust on the 240Z is the inline six cylinder engine. The configuration of the in line six makes it advantageous to isolate the three cylinders to help with exhaust scavenging. I use a dual exhaust on my 240Z but I wouldn't do it on a roadster as the 4 cylinder works better with 4 into 1 or 4 into 2 into 1.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Unger
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Just put four zoomies up through the hood and be done with it. ROFLMAO!!!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

spl310 wrote:Just put four zoomies up through the hood and be done with it. ROFLMAO!!!
Bosozoku fan spotted
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

Post by DatsunRoadster2000 »

Alvin you took those picture?! Thats too funny, I just pulled them off Google images! I hear ya on the drooling, that looks really amazing.

I guess my choice of words with "best options" was not exactly accurate ha! JT68 makes a beautiful system and that's realistically the "best option" and definitely one that I have entertained.

Really I want some this that looks as sick as those pictures do, but still be fitting to the style of the car.

Utilizing a head shield and tucking them close to the tank is an option, but you are right about the weight, and I'd also have to consider how crafty i'd need to get to figure out a hanger for it. Would that much heat under the gas tank cause a problem?

I'm glad that I have at least one supporter that thinks this would look rad. ha!
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

If you can park it, and not turn around to look at it when you walk away...
...you haven't bought the right car
shanerc80
Roadster Nut

Post by shanerc80 »

I think it would look cool, but without modifying the gas tank, I think the exhaust would hang too low.

As if the gas tanks aren't small enough as it is, what if you were to notch out a channel on the bottom of the gas tank and use a heat shield? You would definitely need some good fabrication skills to pull that off, but the result could be pretty bad ass.
1967.5 Datsun Roadster 1600 Resto Mod
R16 #R53282 and R59027(Spare)
Restoration Status = My expectations are realistic. This will be a LONG project.
Progress photos: Flickr Photos
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I'm pretty sure BRE used a side dump exhaust on the roadsters. I guess you could run a pair of open pipes all the way back, but I'm not sure you would gain anything. You would likely lose some exhaust scavenging going that way as well.

That said, if running dual pipes all the way back did have some gains, BRE and Bob Sharp likely would have done it.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

DatsunRoadster2000 wrote:Alvin you took those picture?! Thats too funny, I just pulled them off Google images! I hear ya on the drooling, that looks really amazing.

I guess my choice of words with "best options" was not exactly accurate ha! JT68 makes a beautiful system and that's realistically the "best option" and definitely one that I have entertained.

Really I want some this that looks as sick as those pictures do, but still be fitting to the style of the car.

Utilizing a head shield and tucking them close to the tank is an option, but you are right about the weight, and I'd also have to consider how crafty i'd need to get to figure out a hanger for it. Would that much heat under the gas tank cause a problem?

I'm glad that I have at least one supporter that thinks this would look rad. ha!
Yup, I took those at JCCS! My concern with the heat is soak after running the car. You can imagine that those hot pipes just sitting there underneath the tank will heat the fuel up a bit. I don't know if it would be significant.

The Side-Pipe roadster has a "dual" exhaust system...it doesn't sound bad at all, in fact it's quieter than mine. IMHO looks terrible on a roadster but I dig the BRE-240z idea. For the v6/8 swaps I always envisioned a true dual tail pipe system that flanked the gas tank, like the popular V8 MGB swaps that necessitate tank relocation to the center.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I have though about running twin pipes out the center. I was planning to move the gas tank to above the rear axle between the rear wheels.

IIRC, Craig moved his tank.
Last edited by fj20spl311 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
spriso
Vendor

Post by spriso »

Nissan was using that style exhaust on their race and rally cars from day one--

As others have said, not really practical for a roadster however.

-m
Spriso Motorsports
http://www.spriso.com
Instagram https://instagram.com/spriso/
SR20 Powered Roadsters
Engine swap kits Available! See my website!
datsunfreak
Roadster Fanatic

Post by datsunfreak »

fj20spl311 wrote:I have though about running twin pipes out the center. I was planning to move the gas tank to above the rear axle between the rear wheels.
This is what I'm doing on mine. Already did it on my 1200. Same tank location, same problem... :smt003
1968 SRL311 project under way...
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

I will do a mockup on a model!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Daryl Smith
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

You should be able to find a single inlet muffler with an exit at each end you could mount up above the axle area, between the tires and take one pipe out each side....
Look at the wreckers at some oem stuff...