Front suspension dust covers options and a few other things..

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Jorge0227
Roadster Newby

Front suspension dust covers options and a few other things..

Post by Jorge0227 »

Hello Forum,
As I mentioned in my "returning" intro, I have a lot to re-do after neglecting my car in the garage for 5 years. Back then I had completed suspension, engine, brakes, and pretty much everything mechanical and got to drive the car around the block several times. Now I have a lot of "back to square one" issues to deal with. One of them is my dust covers. They melted and became a messy goo. I read somewhere (can't remember or find it again!) that this is not uncommon, and that there is a version that is made of better material that won't melt after a while.
I live in the desert and the temperature in my garage can get well above 100 in the summer months. I need suggestions for replacements. I'm taking most of the suspension out to work on the brakes and taking care of the dust covers.
What kind, and where can I find these replacements? I have a '68 1600. Thank you!
Second question,
for some reason my coolant reservoir and the thermostat housing are empty. Is this expected after 5 + years? There were no leaks when the engine was tested and running before. Do I need to change the thermostat again? It was new back then. Do I just flush the system, fill it up, and burp it or is there something more invasive I need to do?
Third and last question,
what do you put as damper oil for the carbs?
I have tons of questions but I will post them when they become relevant. I will also load into my computer pictures with my next questions.
Thanks again!
Jorge
Damian
Site Supporter

Re: Front suspension dust covers options and a few other things..

Post by Damian »

Jorge0227 wrote:Do I need to change the thermostat again?
What temp is the thermostat? 160 is stock and 180 is for cold weather. They are relatively inexpensive. Check your water temp sender. Mine was very corroded and needed changing. Again, a very inexpensive part (a little over $20).
Jorge0227 wrote:what do you put as damper oil for the carbs?
ATF oil is recommended and what I am using.

Edit:
Jorge0227 wrote:One of them is my dust covers.
The ball joint dust covers? If so, Energy suspension makes replacements and are better material.

From Tech wiki - Parts Interchange Link
Suspension
Boots-Lower ball joints- 9-13119 (they come in a set of 2. $3)(ALL)
Boots-Upper Ball joints- 9-13105 (they come in a set of 2. $3)(ALL)
Boots-Tie rods 9-13105 (same as above) order 6(ALL) Note from Ron Eastman: "The company I purchased from is Suspension Restoration Parts Co. http://www.suspension.com They are in Modesto. (209) 578-5101. I called to place my order. They list a lot of stuff on their website as fitting the Z's and many other Nissans. I went to the Energy Suspension website to figure out how to measure the ball joint to pick the right part. Here is the link to their measuring page. http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tie_r.html
SRL311-08391
U20 - SUs
Jorge0227
Roadster Newby

Post by Jorge0227 »

Thank you so much for the information!
111jag
Roadster Fanatic

Post by 111jag »

Suspension
Boots-Lower ball joints- 9-13119 (they come in a set of 2. $3)(ALL)
Boots-Upper Ball joints- 9-13105 (they come in a set of 2. $3)(ALL)
Boots-Tie rods 9-13105 (same as above) order 6(ALL) Note from Ron Eastman: "The company I purchased from is Suspension Restoration Parts Co. http://www.suspension.com They are in Modesto. (209) 578-5101. I called to place my order. They list a lot of stuff on their website as fitting the Z's and many other Nissans. I went to the Energy Suspension website to figure out how to measure the ball joint to pick the right part. Here is the link to their measuring page. http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/tie_r.html
Will these fit an early 67 as the ones you quoted above were for a 68?