Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

200SX Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Post by S Allen »

It is not a done deal as yet but I have been working with Ed Johnson of Clovis, CA who has successfully installed 200SX rear disc brakes in his 1969 roadster. I have received permission from Ed to share his technique as well as some drawings. I am working out all of the details plus I want to install it on my latest project. Once that is accomplished I will do a write up and post it on the main web site. I can tell you the set-up comes from a 82-83 200SX-rotors, calipers and mounting brackets. There are some modifications to the 200SX caliper mounting bracket as well a new plate to hold the axle in place. You can also grab the emergency brake set-up from the 200SX axle and modify it to work with the roadster hand brake. Pretty cool stuff. Just wanted to share sooner than later.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Saturdays Run

Post by S Allen »

Alvin,

On paper it looks to be a good turn-out. We will see how it pans out. See ya there.

Steve
Ivin

Looking Forward to it

Post by Ivin »

Hi Steve,

Looking forward to reading about this

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

Ivin
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:200SX Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Post by S Allen »

Well, I cannot wait to do it myself so I posted the stuff Ed gave me and we can go from there. If anyone tries it please let me know what problems you have and anything that is wrong or missing in the write up. You can go there directly here http://www.311s.org/tech/brakes/200sxreardisc.html
I will be doing the Volvo and 200SX conversions to my '65 that will be put on a later frame to get the rear axle brace, front disc brakes(Volvo) 8) , and later recirculating ball steering box to mention a few things. The only thing '65 will be the body. It is bettter than junking it out! Enjoy!!

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
TR

Rear Discs...

Post by TR »

I have looked into the same conversion, but instead of using the 200sx brackets I plan to replace them with one custom unit. I have it severely overdesigned (as I am a conservative engineer), the bracket uses all 4 of the stock mounting points for the drum backing plate. I humbly suggest having something fabricated that uses all 4 bolts, but I have seen other 3 bolt units in action. They perform well, but do allow the caliper to move a bit under hard braking. Once again, as a conservative type, any flex in a braking system scares me!

I'll post an image of the conversion when I am done, but that project is back-burner-ed pending getting my car running!

Steve, can you post an image of the stock parking brake cabling and the integration to the rodster cabling? I have dreamed up a few methods, but they all seem overly complicated...Thanks! TR