Shift lever bushings...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Shift lever bushings...

Post by markjhatch »

Had a great run this weekend. Over to Sausalito for late lunch and back to Moraga over Golden Gate and Bay Bridge (lots of traffic there :-( ) High 6-'s and plenty of sunshine.

Well, one stop light from home, I tried to shift into 1st and the gear shift came out in my hand... Should have known, it had been having problems "reaching" 1st the whole trip. Limped back home the last 1/2 mile.

Looking at the parts manual, there appears to be a washer on top and bottom. Not having the one on top, explains the flexibility that allowed the nut to get loose.

Anyway, my question is whether these washers are supposed to be larger than the opening of the arm that shift lever fits into Or whether the washer are supposed to be smaller than the openning in the arm and hold the lever in place by squishing the bushings.

Also, there appears to be three types of bushing available:
- OEM (e.g. see http://datsunparts.com/1784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- Delrin based ( e.g. see http://datsunparts.com/1861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
- Aluminum (NLA from Nissan Motor Sports)

Any feedback on OEM vs Delrin?

Mark
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
OldYeller
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Shift lever bushings...

Post by OldYeller »

...my question is whether these washers are supposed to be larger than the opening of the arm that shift lever fits into Or whether the washer are supposed to be smaller than the openning in the arm and hold the lever in place by squishing the bushings.

Also, there appears to be three types of bushing available:
- OEM (e.g. see http://datsunparts.com/1784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
- Delrin based ( e.g. see http://datsunparts.com/1861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
- Aluminum (NLA from Nissan Motor Sports)

Any feedback on OEM vs Delrin?
IIRC, the washers are larger than the chamfered shift lever hole and hold the shifter at the proper height vs crushing the bushing.

As far as the types of bushings, I don't have personal experience but for $16 I'd try the firmer feeling shifts of the solid delrin bushing vs rubber.
Steven
69 SRL311
markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by markjhatch »

That was the info I was looking for! Thank you.

Mark
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
zippy67roadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by zippy67roadster »

I bought the last comp aluminum ones from NISMO and am having some copies made for those who want really firm bushings. I am using the last OEM ones in my 67 racer project!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
Skyman

Post by Skyman »

zippy67roadster wrote:I bought the last comp aluminum ones from NISMO and am having some copies made for those who want really firm bushings. I am using the last OEM ones in my 67 racer project!
Awesome. Keep us posted. I have one, but not the other in what looks to be aluminum. Mine are black anodized though.
67.5 SRL311-00060
67.5 SPL311-14241
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo
2003 Ford Powerstroke; Piped & Chipped
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

I've run the aluminum ones since I bought the car. They are solid and direct. I'd go for those over the rubber ones any day of the week. I'd guess the delrin ones are just as firm, but made of plastic. There should be a washer on the top, between the shifter and the bushing, one on the bottom, between the bushing and the (hopefully) nylock 14mm/ 9/16 nut.

Running a rubber bushing doesn't make a lot of sense since the lever can't rattle against anything, and if there is a little vibration running through the lever, when you shift, the only time you feel it is when you are shifting. (Leaving your hand on the shifter while driving is a fast way for things to wear out internally. There are a few threads on this if you search.) Soggy rubber vs precise aluminum or delrin? For me, its not a hard choice. Precision wins every time.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by markjhatch »

Got a new set of the hard Delrin bushing and installed them Big difference (of course I was also missing the lower one. ;-)

Mark
69'2000
zippy67roadster
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by zippy67roadster »

[align=center]I just received a new run of these. They are still the same price, $25 shipped in the US, and you can find them on eBay or here on my website http://sincitydatsuns.com/parts-availab ... ators.html[/align]
Shift bushings 006.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jrusso07 »

markjhatch wrote:
Anyway, my question is whether these washers are supposed to be larger than the opening of the arm that shift lever fits into Or whether the washer are supposed to be smaller than the openning in the arm and hold the lever in place by squishing the bushings.

Mark
Getting back to one of the original questions. I believe the top and bottom washers on the rubber shift bushings are smaller than the ID of the lever receiver on the transmission. They are smaller on all (4) of my high windshield cars. If you look closely at the rubber bushing, their is a cone shaped reduction from the maximum diameter of the bush to the washer surface. The washer size matches the reduced diameter. The bushings need some compression to "firm up" a bit.

Clearly they will never be as firm as delrin or aluminum.

After reading this, I am interested in trying some aluminum ones!
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Aluminum or delrin, both are way better with no downside.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
jrusso07
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by jrusso07 »

Trying to buy the Sin City aluminum bushings all day but Paypal is torturing me...new passwords, new emails and then it faults out...grrrrrr
Joe

1969 SRL311 - Solex
1970 SPL311 - U20 mod
1970 SRL311
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

I bought some sin city ones. They're nice, fast shipping--very pleasant experience
andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by andyroo »

Are these bushings good for both 4 and 5 speed transmissions? Easy to install?
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

andyroo wrote:Are these bushings good for both 4 and 5 speed transmissions? Easy to install?
They should be, not sure about the 1500 transmission however. All you need to install is a pair of 14mm open end wrenches (or better yet one with a flexible ratcheting end) and about 10 minutes assuming the center console is out. Pull the shift boot, one 14 on the top wrench flats, the ratcheting one on the bottom (I don't think a socket will work, not enough clearance) remove the nut that holds everything together, pull the shifter. The upper bushing will likely pull out, on the shifter, but not always. Remove the old ones, install the new ones reassemble and drive.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
andyroo
Roadster Fanatic

Post by andyroo »

Great, thanks. Regardless of future motor/transmission plans, my wobbly-ass shifter is a little annoying. A cheap + easy fix is a good idea.
1968 Datsun 1600
2005 MINI Cooper S