Horn Help

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Horn Help

Post by leonhart »

Thanks for the confirmation!

I put it all back together yesterday, think it was all in proper order. But the horn feels pretty firm. Not much give or "push" to it. I think it moves, but certainly not much. Is this normal, or should there be more of a springy feel to it? Maybe I still managed to get the spring rubber in wrong or something. I don't know about functionality, as I don't have a battery...and not everything is wired up anyway. But the feel seemed a little off to me...but I've also never owned a car older than a 1986 before this. So it could be a normal that I'm not used to.
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600 - 1.6L - 4 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - 1.8L - 6 speed manual
2013 Scion FR-S - 2.0L - 6 speed manual
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by devo »

Yes. It barely moves at all, Maybe 1/16 of an inch. Feel is nice and firm.
leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by leonhart »

Thanks again, I guess I'll wait and see what happens once the wiring is hooked up and there's a battery in there!
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600 - 1.6L - 4 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - 1.8L - 6 speed manual
2013 Scion FR-S - 2.0L - 6 speed manual
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Somewhat off topic, but thought I would post my horn solution here. For 32 years I have not had a horn as the parts disappeared and the custom steering wheel was not adapted to one. After a recent incident where a horn would have been helpful (safety issue) I finally decided I needed to address this problem. I purchased a loud horn that would fit in the stock position off Amazon, along with a Wolo RC100 wireless remote control unit. The unit was easy to install, and the horn button, though somewhat large and clearly not "stock", fit on the left side of my (flat) dash with no wires and double-sided tape, and matches the look fairly well (it has a pebbled black surface). Works great too. The button could be mounted anywhere, but I wanted it to be quickly accessible. Consider this as a viable option for those who are not worried about being fully stock.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA