Stainless Steel Exhaust for 2000

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust for 2000

Post by Gregs672000 »

JT68 wrote:pm'd on the Grill Backs. http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=20577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An even better example is listening to an old piston airplane on youtube. Go find a running P-51 Mustang on youtube and have a listen-sounds kinda like a toy airplane. If you ever get the chance go to a vintage airshow and listen to a real p51 start, idle, rev and take off..what an unbelievable, spectacular, amazing piston engine sound. Listening to a P-51 in person and one on pc audio file just can’t be compared...

Thanks again Shannon, enjoy the system!
JT68 speakith the truth!

There is nothing like the "up close, real" sound of a P51... About 28yrs ago (just as I started rebuilding my Roadster as it turns out) my then brother in law/aircraft mechanic called me to come down to Boeing field to see the Miss America being tuned up and prepped to fly to a show in Canada. This very aircraft held the piston/prop record for crossing the English Channel or some such thing as i recall. I'm telling you though, the sounds I heard that day cannot/will not ever leave my conscious brain, it was sooooo beautiful/powerful/intoxicating/screaming... Like nothing I'd ever heard. 5ft off the deck, screaming past you with a sound that grabs your soul! Oh shit, it must have scared the CRAP out of the enemy, noooo doubt. Memorex doesn't compare to being there!
Thanks for bring up that memory!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

Gregs672000 wrote:
JT68 wrote:pm'd on the Grill Backs. http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=20577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An even better example is listening to an old piston airplane on youtube. Go find a running P-51 Mustang on youtube and have a listen-sounds kinda like a toy airplane. If you ever get the chance go to a vintage airshow and listen to a real p51 start, idle, rev and take off..what an unbelievable, spectacular, amazing piston engine sound. Listening to a P-51 in person and one on pc audio file just can’t be compared...

Thanks again Shannon, enjoy the system!
JT68 speakith the truth!

There is nothing like the "up close, real" sound of a P51... About 28yrs ago (just as I started rebuilding my Roadster as it turns out) my then brother in law/aircraft mechanic called me to come down to Boeing field to see the Miss America being tuned up and prepped to fly to a show in Canada. This very aircraft held the piston/prop record for crossing the English Channel or some such thing as i recall. I'm telling you though, the sounds I heard that day cannot/will not ever leave my conscious brain, it was sooooo beautiful/powerful/intoxicating/screaming... Like nothing I'd ever heard. 5ft off the deck, screaming past you with a sound that grabs your soul! Oh shit, it must have scared the CRAP out of the enemy, noooo doubt. Memorex doesn't compare to being there!
Thanks for bring up that memory!
:smt006
The most amazing place to find Merlins at full song... Reno, the middle of September. 140 inches of Manifold pressure, 3400rpm, 50 feet off the deck, 500 mph.
[youtube]v=z7gWX7i6148[/youtube] If that doesn't imbed (I'm not sure why it won't) here is the direct link. Turn it up, the sound of a Merlin at full tilt will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are a few pics I shot from last year.
Nothing cooler than a night runup

Here is the full album. https://www.flickr.com/photos/47309961@ ... 879566562/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

I was about 9 when I heard one up close and personal. Every kid (and big kid) with an interest in planes absolutely must see one running up close...Just something one never forgets...You can FEEL every exhaust pulse at idle! What a sound....
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

JT68 wrote:I was about 9 when I heard one up close and personal. Every kid (and big kid) with an interest in planes absolutely must see one running up close...Just something one never forgets...You can FEEL every exhaust pulse at idle! What a sound....
Rare Bear was exactly that with this monster prop. 18 cylinders, 3350 cubic inches of displacement, 5000 hp. With the monster 3 blade the plane was hard to fly because it had so much power and torque that it just wanted to roll all the time. In a straight line it was manageable, but around a corner, it was more than a very large handful. Its been said that you could feel the prop beating the air into submission as it went past.

This was shot at Reno 2003. It was the fastest average speed for a race ever. I think 502 mph was the race average speed for the winner. You can hear Rare Bear rumble past with the big 3 blade. An amazing sound. Big block V8 on a drag car? Ha, that's cute.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A video from 2013, exactly 10 years later. Its worth listening to on a home theater system.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I caught Rare Bear last year doing a test run last year. They have gone back to the (still rather large) A1H Skyraider 4 blade prop. Its not as fast, but at least it will turn.
Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
OldYeller
Roadster Fanatic

Post by OldYeller »

Both the roadster exhaust and the planes are VFC. I'm guessing the latter makes the former seem relatively affordable and, perhaps to some anyway, a pair of WOT mikunis exiting through 2" of handcrafted stainless steel is at least a close 2nd. :lol:
Steven
69 SRL311
sfdaugherty

Post by sfdaugherty »

I've finally finished the installation. The tone is very deep but not loud. I think it sounds great. The installation was easy. I had a little more work to do because a PO had cut off the original frame bracket to support the resonator so I had to fabricate one and weld it on. I had to trim the exhaust in three places to get it to fit just right but never had to cut more than 1". I could only use the lap joint clamps in three spots so used 1" band clamps in three places. It flows very well. It may be my imagination, but it seems to run better too.
69 2000 SRL311-10088 (Type 4 Solexes)
68 SR20DE SPL311-18735 (SR20DE S15 Autech)
68 2000 SRL311-01179 (Restoration underway)
68 1600 SPL311-20462 SOLD! After 41 years in the family
markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

Post by markjhatch »

Shannon,

This is next on my list after I get my rear springs redone (notice the tilt to the left in the photo). Would love to hear your experience.

I will also be at Solvang in my '69 2000 (Spanish Red of course... SRL311-10343). So besides looking under all the Red '69's there (might take all day ;-) ) how do I find you? New Mexico plates? I will be running recent California plates with a license plate with a "Silver Oaks Cabernet" frame.

Mark
69.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
sfdaugherty

Post by sfdaugherty »

Mark: I may be parked right next to you. I'm also bringing my 69 2000 in Spanish Red. Distinguishing features will be the factory roll bar , New Mexico plates, Smoothline hardtop with carbon fiber overlay, 16" VTO wheels and gray Eurasier named "Jin".
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Shannon, it was good seeing you at Solvang, and thank you for demonstrating the sound of your new exhaust system. JT68 you have made a great product.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

markjhatch wrote:Shannon,

This is next on my list after I get my rear springs redone (notice the tilt to the left in the photo). Would love to hear your experience.

I will also be at Solvang in my '69 2000 (Spanish Red of course... SRL311-10343). So besides looking under all the Red '69's there (might take all day ;-) ) how do I find you? New Mexico plates? I will be running recent California plates with a license plate with a "Silver Oaks Cabernet" frame.

Mark
69.jpg
Looking at your photobucket pics of the exhaust setup with some envy. Wishing I had a carpeted garage too :wink: !
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
sfdaugherty

Post by sfdaugherty »

You are joking right? The photobucket pics are in my dining room not in my garage. My floors are concrete with epoxy. It's one of the rare occasions when I can bring car parts into the house.
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

Alvin wrote:Shannon, it was good seeing you at Solvang, and thank you for demonstrating the sound of your new exhaust system. JT68 you have made a great product.
Thank you Alvin and Shannon! It is great to see the systems on some of the nicest roadsters on the road! I recently saw the system on Garth's car which is also a super-clean restoration.. Maybe I'll make Solvang/Shasta one of these days to see more! Thanks again! J
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!