Engine Rebuild

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Matt Mincer
Roadster Nut

Engine Rebuild

Post by Matt Mincer »

Anyone know a good engine rebuild guy in the Chicago area. My jackshaft had come loose and from what I have been told, the engine has to be pulled to fix the problem.

Matt
shanerc80
Roadster Nut

Re: Engine Rebuild

Post by shanerc80 »

I'm in the pre planning stages of restoring my 67.5 1600 and I'm trying to source a reputable shop in the Chicago area.

Did you ever find a good shop Matt?
1967.5 Datsun Roadster 1600 Resto Mod
R16 #R53282 and R59027(Spare)
Restoration Status = My expectations are realistic. This will be a LONG project.
Progress photos: Flickr Photos
DCooke
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by DCooke »

I'm gonna need some work also on my 68 1600 motor this fall. A couple years ago I stopped by Milo's shop at Foreign Car Rebuilders in Palatine as he has done some roadster motors in the past, but his website is now down, not sure if he's still in business. There's also Opel Engineering in Streamwood, I know of a 240z that had motor work done there. (http://www.opelengineering.com/)

Here's a few other local shops to check out:

http://btracingchicago.com/
http://per-race-engines.com/index.php
http://www.tf-works.com/
http://www.vintagesportscar.net/

Let me know what you find.
Dave Cooke
Cary, IL
1968 1600
1969 1600
2016 BRZ
Chicagoland chapter of the Dairyland Datsuns
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

Post by DatsunRoadster2000 »

I am in the Palatine area and will be having my engine rebuilt this Fall as well. I noticed that FCR's website was down so I drove by the other day since I live down the road and they still looked open. I had the center bore on my new wheels enlarged by Milo a few weeks ago and he seemed to be pretty confident in doing what ever I would need him to. A year ago I stopped by Matt's house to check out his parts stash and he mentioned that he was pretty happy with Milo's work.

Regarding Opel Engineering, I was referred to them by a buddy who has all of his drag motors done there. I have spoke with them for a while one day, and they did reference a few 240z motor's they have done. I was going to go with these guys back in March but they were booked like 6-7 months out. I guess that could hint towards the quality of work they do.

One other place I came across that might be worth looking into is Apex Automotive Engineering, out of Bensenville. These guys seemed to have the most experience with Datsun motor's. They mostly do MG, Porsche, and Alfa motors but knew about some of the common problems with U20's (I have a 2000)

http://www.apexae.com/index.html
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

If you can park it, and not turn around to look at it when you walk away...
...you haven't bought the right car
DCooke
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DCooke »

Just a follow-up to the Chicago guys who were planning a motor rebuild, anyone do this yet? I hate to admit it, but I've been swamped this year at work and never got to pull my engine. My plan now is for this to be a spring 2016 project. Anyone else have an update?
Dave Cooke
Cary, IL
1968 1600
1969 1600
2016 BRZ
sunbeam590
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sunbeam590 »

Theres not much you can fix on a Roadster without pulling the motor and box.. once you get your head around doing it, its no big deal,engine crane + a mate to help you, 2 1/2 hrs and its out, then its all plain sailing... Just finished doing mine.
KEVIN
69 Datsun 2000, Factory Solexes.
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

Hi Dave, I believe we met last year at the Harper College British car meet. I am planning on an engine rebuild this winter and should have the engine out at some point this month. I still haven't decided on where to take it but my plan is to pull the engine and take it somewhere, then drop the body off at a shop to have some rust repair done. Any good body guys that you know of in the area?

I've searched far and wide to find a somewhat local engine builder, who knows the in and outs of our engines, and have come up with very little! I've contemplated many times to just fork over the money to shipping it out to Rebello, and saying "Here, make it fast and bullet proof" but realistically, that wont happen. Ha!

Any recommendations that you have come up with lately, on where to take it?
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

sunbeam590
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by sunbeam590 »

I don't think that there is any rocket science in rebuilding one of these engines, any reputable engine shop should handle it ok, you are lucky as all the parts vendors are in the USA, lend them your shop manual for reference, check out the timing components carefully, lots of guys on this forum have built their own engines..
KEVIN
69 Datsun 2000, Factory Solexes.
kenw
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kenw »

You may want to check out Kelly Moss Motorsports in Madison, WI. Highly regarded in the area.
Ken Williams
'67 1600
Janesville, WI
DCooke
Roadster Fanatic

Post by DCooke »

Hey Jeff, I do remember meeting you last year at the British show, my roadster was running fine then, but the next month on the way to Road America, I lost cylinder 2 and limped home and haven't had a chance to do anything this season. I have met the owner of BT Racing a couple of times at some local car shows, he seems like he knows a lot about Datsuns ad has a passion for them. I think he's worth checking out even though he bills himself as a race shop, I bet he would love to work on a roadster or two. I'll drop him an e-mail and let you know what I find out. Its good to hear replies on this topic, keeps me motivated to get the job done sooner than later.
Dave Cooke
Cary, IL
1968 1600
1969 1600
2016 BRZ
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

Dave- Loosing cylinder 2 is terrible news! Luckily I haven't got to that point yet, my engine just leaks through every place imaginable, so I figured why not rip it all apart. I think I have come across BT Racing a few times, the owner runs that BRE style 510 right? That would be great if he was interested, keep me posted on what he says.

There is a guy up in Rockford named Don Bunt who runs a 240z racing team, called DB Racing. I figured he would mostly deal with L-series engines, but I figured why not and messaged him early last week to see if he had any opinions on good engine builders around Chicago. Here is what he said:

"I currently use Sam Neave of LNA Enterprises to build our L-series engines. He is in North Carolina and builds nationally competitive engines. They are not cheap, but they have won multiple SCCA national championships. I have also used Carl at Sterling Engines in South Beloit. He does mostly American car drag racing stuff, but the L-series was not an issue for him. He builds a solid reliable motor. Years ago, I had Opel Engineering in Streamwood do some engines. They also build a solid reliable motor."

I have heard a number of good things about Opel Engineering in Streamwood. Could be a good option!
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

DCooke wrote:Hey Jeff, I do remember meeting you last year at the British show, my roadster was running fine then, but the next month on the way to Road America, I lost cylinder 2 and limped home and haven't had a chance to do anything this season. I have met the owner of BT Racing a couple of times at some local car shows, he seems like he knows a lot about Datsuns ad has a passion for them. I think he's worth checking out even though he bills himself as a race shop, I bet he would love to work on a roadster or two. I'll drop him an e-mail and let you know what I find out. Its good to hear replies on this topic, keeps me motivated to get the job done sooner than later.
Hey Dave, I wanted to check in and see if you ended up going anything about the cylinder that you lost. Did you end up getting any engine work done?

I had a good conversation with Dave at Rebello Racing recently and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on shipping the motor out to him for a full overhaul. Bored out to 2.1, head rebuild, etc. Its going to be pricey but I think it will be worth it.
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL

jake7140
Roadster Fanatic
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by jake7140 »

sunbeam590 wrote:I don't think that there is any rocket science in rebuilding one of these engines, any reputable engine shop should handle it ok, you are lucky as all the parts vendors are in the USA, lend them your shop manual for reference, check out the timing components carefully, lots of guys on this forum have built their own engines..
I agree. Find a place that does good engine work with knowledgeable people and the work and specs are nothing special. I used a place that does mostly V8 race engines, but it's really all about correct clearances. I brought the manual and all the specs are in there. I even gave my guy the Col Joe Hauser cross drill instructions and all went well. Basic head work is nothing special either. Nothing exotic here folks.

Depending on what parts are needed, they are available, and some 'non-stock' parts or parts combinations will for for various configurations.

Good luck. Need to see those roadsters on the road (or track)!
Steve
67.5 1600 racer
68 1600
70 SPL 2L 5spd in resto process
66 frame & shell
Shelves of parts
06 Infiniti M35
60 BMW R60/2
65 Harley Davidson Topper AH
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

My stroker was also built by a local V8 race engine builder here in the Madison area. I did the same as Steve: Provided the shop manual and the race prep manual and the parts that are R16 specific. He found some beehive springs that work perfectly for my Col Hauser head and then outsourced the custom valve guides, seats and retainers. I think my valves are Volkswagon; I've have to check to be certain.
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
DatsunRoadster2000
Roadster Nut

jake7140 wrote:
sunbeam590 wrote:I don't think that there is any rocket science in rebuilding one of these engines, any reputable engine shop should handle it ok, you are lucky as all the parts vendors are in the USA, lend them your shop manual for reference, check out the timing components carefully, lots of guys on this forum have built their own engines..
I agree. Find a place that does good engine work with knowledgeable people and the work and specs are nothing special. I used a place that does mostly V8 race engines, but it's really all about correct clearances. I brought the manual and all the specs are in there. I even gave my guy the Col Joe Hauser cross drill instructions and all went well. Basic head work is nothing special either. Nothing exotic here folks.

Depending on what parts are needed, they are available, and some 'non-stock' parts or parts combinations will for for various configurations.

Good luck. Need to see those roadsters on the road (or track)!
tjp wrote:My stroker was also built by a local V8 race engine builder here in the Madison area. I did the same as Steve: Provided the shop manual and the race prep manual and the parts that are R16 specific. He found some beehive springs that work perfectly for my Col Hauser head and then outsourced the custom valve guides, seats and retainers. I think my valves are Volkswagon; I've have to check to be certain.
Can either of you guys give me the info for the shops you used? You both make good points, but I would still prefer to use a shop that has done an R16 or U20 build before. Driving the engine to the Madison area wouldnt be a big deal. Also, ballpark, what would I be looking at cost wise. Rebello quoted me $5500.
Jeff Bergen
1969 2000
Palatine, IL