Prime to start

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoldnfat

Prime to start

Post by notoldnfat »

OK guys, it's been a LONG time since I've fired up either of my 1600's. Here's the question: If I prime the carbs, it will fire right up and run till the prime goes. So, I check to see if we're getting fuel...nope, so I figure fuel pump...so I have an electric sitting around...toss it on, nothing....so, I figure...clogged fuel line.....so what do I do....I blow on the line and hear gas bubbling in the tank.....so I know it's not clogged....what could it be? Does the tank have a "pickup" in it that could have come off? I figure if I can blow air and hear gas....it's probably gonna pick up fuel. So, could I have a vaccum problem or??? I'm totally baffled because it runs fine off prime....seems right on, maybe a tad rich because of the direct shot but??????
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Prime To Start

Post by S Allen »

It sounds liike you have a restriction some where. It could be at the carbs. Check those banjo filters at each carb. I have to ask because I have seen it done-please take no offense. When you put the electric in did you by-pass the mechanical or leave it inline? It does make a difference. You could check the mechanical by disconnecting the carbs, pull the coil wire off, and crank her over to see how much fuel(if any??) you have coming out of the line. Good luck.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
notoldnfat

No Fuel

Post by notoldnfat »

Here's the deal. I have NO fuel at the carbs. or either side if the fuel pump. I can blow air into the line....before the fuel pump and hear gas in the tank.....it's just not getting to the pump...for whatever reason....that's why I asked about a pickup or????
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

If you still have the glass bowl fuel filter, that is likely your culprit. The lids warp and then they leak air. You can test it by taking the unit apart and seeing if the glass can be "rocked" against the lid or if it fits solidly. If it fits solidly, I would suspect the gasket is damaged.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Prime To Start

Post by S Allen »

As far As I know there is no pickup that could fall off unless it rusted off. Blowing air in to the tank would not take into account a bunch of crud in the tank. The fuel pump is sucking fuel the opposite way you were blowing air. When either the mechanical or electric fuel pump cannot get fuel to flow-I say you have something restricting the pickup in the tank. It will be pulling any debri towards the pickup and block it off. When you blow the air in from the other end you are blowing the debris/blockage away from the pickup. As Sid stated-the oringinal glass fuel filters will cause you problems if they are not sealed tightly. It takes quite awhile to get fuel to flow when a car has not been started in a long time. I have cranked on them to the point of giving up when she finally fires off. Let us know what you find out. Sorry :roll: I missed "pickup" the first time. Reading too fast is not good sometimes. :lol:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth