Hood pin and latch

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

GerryD

Hood pin and latch

Post by GerryD »

See, I got this 67 SPL311. Now when I got it, the hood kept popping up. Not really a big deal, but I didn't feel right parking it anywhere like that. So I took the pin off the hood to adjust it. Now, I noticed that a lot of the threads were worn away. So I moved the nut up to good threads. Since the hood wasn't down all the way when latched, I thought it was a good place to start. However, now the hood stays shut... All The Time. So I believe my problem also lays with the latch. Now that you know where I sit, I am looking not only for a good idea on how to open the hood, but does anyone have a latch and pin laying around?
Thanks,
Gerry
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Latch and Pin

Post by S Allen »

Gerry,

Not good as it is very hard to open when the latch cable breaks or gets stuck. You found that out the hard way. :shock: Many people put a safety wire connected to the latch and run it through the firewall so you can grab it from the inside and pull it to release the hood. There are several methods that have been tried.

#1. Have someone pull on the hood release knob, while you
push the hood down hard right above where the pin catches the latch. You may have to hit the hood a couple of times to get it loose. The important part is the other warm body to pull on the hood release.

#2. Remove the hood realease knob. Grab onto the hood release cable with a big pair of vice grips and pull it as hard as you can. You get a really good grip with a big set of vise grips.

#3. Drill a hole in the hood so you can release the hood mechanisim. Last resort and not a great option.

You might be better off buying a new cable assembly from one of the vendors. You can rebuild the choke and throttle assemblies but the hood release cable is a tough one.

Good luck.

Steve
Last edited by S Allen on Tue May 13, 2003 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Stuck hood.

Post by SLOroadster »

I did a similar thing due to a flapping hood. I poked and pushed and just screwed with it until it poped open. I took a piece of bicycle brake cable and wraped it around the pin and tugged on it in different directions as well. What you have on your hands is a serious pain in the butt.
Good luck,
Will
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Hood Pin

Post by S Allen »

I may have an extra hood pin lying around for an early car. Let me know if you want me to look for it.

Steve
GerryD

My stuck hood

Post by GerryD »

Thanks guys,
I think my wife will allow me to buy some parts for this, and I did find them. So now I will take your advices and give it the the old college try. I will keep you informed.
Gerry