Temperature Sending Unit

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RoadsterJay

Temperature Sending Unit

Post by RoadsterJay »

Ok folks.......another question. I'm trying to get a reading from my temperature guage on my 68 1600. Grounded the wire running to the guage and it moved just fine so I know the wiring is good as well is the guage. Its a matter of the temperature sending unit. Unfortunatley, I'm not sure how the heck to get it out.
There is a small (8 mm I think) nut that keeps the electrical connecter on (well there is supposed to be) and that part is off no problem. Also notticed there is a 16 mm hollow nut surrounding the sensor......and that comes off ok. However, the temp sending unit won't budge!!!!!!! What am I missing???? (My unit is pretty jacked up.......looks like somebody Oki-rigged what should be the 8 mm with a phillips screw...stipped the little part all up but not sure if thats why the sending unit won't come out) Also....any suggestions on a replacement unit? I think I read somewhere I can use one from a Datusn pickup but I'm not sure. Thanks a lot
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

http://www.311s.org/partinterchange.html

This should answer on of the questions..
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

The sending unit itself is quite possibly corroded in place. I would suggest trying some penetrating oil to see if that will break the grip the unit has with the block.

If all else fails, consider sacrificing the sending unit in order to get it out. If it's bad, you're going to throw it away anyhow, just don't damage the mounting. Clean everything thoroughly, and make sure the new unit fits properly before tightening anything down.

Bucky
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Temp Sending Unit

Post by S Allen »

Yeah, those things are a real bear to get out. You are definitley going to destroy it getting it out but who cares? A drill bit the the correct size will work. You have to be real careful not to damage the head. Another way is to remove the thermostat tower along with the thermostat and use a punch to drive it out from the backside. A real pain but it does work. Dissimiliar metals tend to fuse together in pretty short order. Temperature sending unit for a 1970 Datsun pickup works. One piece rather than two piece original. (R16) Good luck!

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

Block. Head. My bad.

I was going from memory, but I seem to be falling prey to CRS. :oops:

Bucky
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Temp Sending Unit

Post by S Allen »

Bucky,

You have a pretty darn good memory most of the time :D

Steve
DatsunBucky
Roadsteraholic

Post by DatsunBucky »

Thanks. My CRS is sometimes in remission. Then the alarm goes off and I have to get out of bed...(shrug)