hardtop restoration?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DatsunMax
Roadster Nut

hardtop restoration?

Post by DatsunMax »

Hello Everyone,
I am still looking to restore my low windshield fiberglass hardtop.
I was told Alvin restored his by himself. I would love to hear from Alvin or anyone else here that help me with this b project.

Thanks again,

Max
DatsunMax, Out looking to restore my convertible.
1966 SPL311
Millbrae, California
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Re: hardtop restoration?

Post by jamesw »

I restored mine myself too (I have the same one as Alvin).

First off, if yours is one of the bumpy textured ones forget it.

First I sanded the outside of my top - which was fiberglass w/ gelcoat. Next I sprayed it with self etching primer and primer/sealer. Then I painted it a few times and cleared it.

I got the weatherstripping from McMaster Carr and put it on myself - but I had a pro windshield shop put in the windows for me.

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
DatsunMax
Roadster Nut

Post by DatsunMax »

jamesw wrote:I restored mine myself too (I have the samThankse one as Alvin).

First off, if yours is one of the bumpy textured ones forget it.

First I sanded the outside of my top - which was fiberglass w/ gelcoat. Next I sprayed it with self etching primer and primer/sealer. Then I painted it a few times and cleared it.

I got the weatherstripping from McMaster Carr and put it on myself - but I had a pro windshield shop put in the windows for me.

Cheers
James
James,
Mine IS the bumpy one. Sigh...so I should forget it. .! Thanks anyway!
1966 SPL311
Millbrae, California
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

Gosh Max, dont give up so easily. A textured top can be restored. Do you prefer the smooth look or the textured look?
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

pebbles wrote:Gosh Max, dont give up so easily. A textured top can be restored. Do you prefer the smooth look or the textured look?
If it's textured fiberglass, it should be able to take a smooth layer of resin. Worse case have a top shop cover it with good quality vinyl.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Max,
you can find my restoration thread here:
http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=hardtop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not much. I basically removed the trim, had it painted, tried re-installing the weatherstripping/windows and gave up. Let the shop do it!

If you have a textured top any body shop can smooth it or lay something on top if you want a smooth surface.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

Too bad all the pics are gone.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

I am in the process of refurb'ing a hradtop for a local (Walt in Santa Barbara) whose top blew off in one of those West Coast treacherous wind storms.
The faux leather grain finish tops (ala 60 refrigerator) were made to look like a vinyl top (think rich Corinthian leather), but also the top companies do this in order to hide all the flaws. (a top like Alvin's shows all the small defects, or in his case, shows that he has none!)

Anyway, you could add mat to the outside then sand it smooth, but that is going to add significant weight, and the sanding process is going to be like boat hull fairing (long sanding boards, and prone to getting undercuts/waves).

The grained finish tops can be made to look nice. I have on tied up to the roof of my garage (that someone else did, in Montana). A nice gloss finish and new trim and the look sharp, not as concours as Alvin's, but that is the bar we all strive for.

If you have the time to spare, I can do it for you. I'll be up that way at Easter, you may have to drop it off at my bro's house in El Cerrito. (top of the hill)
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Define "restore". There are a number of products that can return the black color (at least for a time) if the structure of the top is ok (not broken, cracked etc.). Other than replacing any bad seals or glass, I wouldn't think there's that much to it. Then again, I am not a fan of any hard top (except the one Alvin has, and they are rare) as they cut the paint and require storage. Since my car is a fair weather friend only, I hope to have a bikini top made in the next month or two, at least by Shasta... I hate my soft top too!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Greg, I have a few pics of bikini tops, the hard part on those is the attachment at the front, as unlike most otehr cars, our front bow is not self-supporting, ti will not stay on on its own (without frame support), so unless you are going to do the "Lucha Libre Racing style with partial conv top (no windows), you have to add snap to front windhsield frame, which is a coommitment (drilling hholes, Yikes!).

Wow, that was one run-on sentence.

Oh, mine is a fair weather car as well. Owned 13 years and have put up the top 4 times. Bundle up is my solution, gets the blood flowng at 4am.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

Roman wrote:Too bad all the pics are gone.
I wouldn't say "all the pics" are gone :wink:

I am working on it though :smt003
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

FergO2k wrote:Greg, I have a few pics of bikini tops, the hard part on those is the attachment at the front, as unlike most otehr cars, our front bow is not self-supporting, ti will not stay on on its own (without frame support), so unless you are going to do the "Lucha Libre Racing style with partial conv top (no windows), you have to add snap to front windhsield frame, which is a coommitment (drilling hholes, Yikes!).

Wow, that was one run-on sentence.

Oh, mine is a fair weather car as well. Owned 13 years and have put up the top 4 times. Bundle up is my solution, gets the blood flowng at 4am.
Hmmm, I need to look at this! So, the latches (67.5 version) will not hold the front bow to the windshield frame without the rest of the softop framework? I was expecting that I would attach the bikini material to it and have it latch to the frame as stock... I thought I had looked at this, but I don't think I have removed the softop material from the bow yet, so maybe not? I'm very committed to having one done, so I will have to figure something out!
Thanks for the heads up!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

You may have to add a metal stay from the rollbar to keep the front bow from twisting, but it would hold the sides of the bikini in place.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

You could put a tab downward from the back of the header to support it on the windshield frame. That way, the clamps will hold the header in place.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
DatsunMax
Roadster Nut

Post by DatsunMax »

Wow! I was told Alvin has a very nice hardtop and I didn't realize it's this nice.
I am very touch that many of you guys are so knowledgeable about this.
Now I have a decision to make.
1966 SPL311
Millbrae, California