Master Cylinder

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

RoadsterJay

Master Cylinder

Post by RoadsterJay »

Hello all......
I'm a total roadster rookie so bear with me. I'm in the process of restoring my 68 1600 and I am at the point where it runs.......but doesn't stop. I know I need to replace the master cylinder (awful leaky) and I plan on doing the Volvo conversion in the near future. I read the Volvo conversion article posted on this website and noticed at the end that the 280z master cylinder is not necessary for the 67.5 and later. Why not???? What should I do :?: , buy a new roadster master cylinder or buy the new 280z master cylinder (in terms of fixing my brakes now and planning for the future). Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Brakes

Post by S Allen »

Jason,

Welcome to our little forum and thanks for registering. The reason you do not have to swap out the brake master in the later cars is that it is already a dual reservoir unit. The early cars had a single brake master unlike the later dual. A 280Z master is dual. There is no reason not to swap it out if you are doing the brake upgrade. The Z car master is a lot cheaper than a roadster master cylinder. Your choice really. You may have to change the fittings on the brake lines that connect to the Z car master. Also save the plunger that hooks to the brake pedal arm and refit it into the 280Z master cylinder as well. It is the correct length where the 280Z one is not. Not a big deal but something you should know. Good luck.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Master Cylinder

Post by SLOroadster »

You could go the cheap way and rebuild your master cylinder. It is really easy. All the parts are still for sale. The Volvo conversion is neat, but unneeded
Will
L Smaldino

Master Cylinder

Post by L Smaldino »

Do what is more economically feasible!! Go to your local neighborhood import auto parts store and see what they have available at a reasonable price. You may also need to save the reservoirs (especially the front) from the old MC, since the 260 reservoir is larger and makes it difficult to close the hood properly.

Good Luck!!

Lou Smaldino
69-2000
66-1600
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:Master

Post by S Allen »

Lou,

I forgot about you having to use the roadster reservoirs on the Z car master. On the race car I put a single brake master on from something other than a roadster. I just cut the reservoir down to match that of the roadster one. You cannot even tell I cut it down. I wish I knew what application it came from but that was before I was paying much attention. Certainly the Volvo conversion is not for everyone but it works well when completed and calipers do not cost you $120.00 plus dollars to replace as they generally cannot be repaired. The roadster calipers can be resleeved but that is not a cheap prospect either. Do what you want as it is your car.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
RoadsterJay

Post by RoadsterJay »

Thanks everyone so far. Well I did a bunch of shopping around, and after hours of waiting on hold, the best I can do on a Roadster MC is 190.00 @&%#ing dollars :evil: (brand new). The 280z is only like $50 for a reman. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Z, but I would like to know ahead of time whether or not I'm gonna have to change the fittings or not. Anyone know for sure????????????
Thanks again
Jason
RoadsterJay

Post by RoadsterJay »

Well the master cylinder fiasco has come to an end. I went to a local AutoZone that happened to have the 75-77 280z 7/8ths master cylinder in stock. Took my busted MC in to compare. The only real difference is cosmetic (the bleader valve's are on the opposite side of the cylinder). So, 35 bucks later Everything .....well........works PERFECTLY (even the hose fittings). I reused the stock plunger and resevoirs and well.........my car stops again. Thanks for everyone's help!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I could be mistaken, but I am under the impression that the Z master cylinder uses metric fittings while the Roadster uses SAE fittings. I would be very wary of that....
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
LSmaldino

Master Cylinder

Post by LSmaldino »

Jay

I just realized you live in Fresno, where the hell have you been, If I would have known that I would have driven over and helped you out. How come you are not a member of our Club.

Lou Smaldino
FresnoDROC
S Allen
Site Admin

RE:M/C

Post by S Allen »

Hey Lou,

He just got his roadster. You will have plenty to help him out with! :wink:

Steve
TR