Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Please Help Identify My 5 Speed

Post by S Allen »

I am posting this for Scott.

Scott asks:
Hi fellow roadster nuts,

I bought this from a guy who represented it as a late 69 unit. I need to know if any of you can identify it as a Servo or Warner 5 speed...? You can see the big double nuts for securing the 5th gear....doesn't that tell us something as to the vintage?

Post your reply to the site if you would.....hope someone out there can
help....;-)

Pictures can be viewed below:
http://www.311s.org/PublicPics/5speed1.jpg
http://www.311s.org/PublicPics/5speed2.jpg
http://www.311s.org/PublicPics/5speed3.jpg

Scott thanks you all!
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Tranny

Post by SLOroadster »

By looking at the box, Id say its a Borg Warner. The checkerboard pattern on the outside of the box does not mean that you actually have one however. If it felt like it poped into and out of gear, it is most likely a B.W., if it felt a little mushy when changing gears it is a porsche style. Look at the syncros , the B.W.s will be brass, other wise they will be steel. I am told that most of the '69 and '70 cars came with the B.W.s
I hope that helps,
Will
70MTroadster

RE; 5 speed history

Post by 70MTroadster »

I should have said that this box sat for 20 years and I bought it out of the car so do not know how it shifts. Are the synchros on either side of the hubs (they show up as black in the pics) ? If so they appear to be steel, not brass.

I just used a magnet on these and they are magnetic. Jeeze, could I have a late style box with an early servo synchro tranny?

scott
70MTroadster

5 speed identity found

Post by 70MTroadster »

Sorry for the hassle gents......I logged on to Rallye and under the tranny parts section Dann has a "Type" to click on. I did and sure enough there are my synchros......Servo big as life.

There ain't no brass in this tranny anywhere.

The big phillips head screws that reside in the bearing retaining plate have only one punch mark in them, leading me to surmize that this tranny has never been apart.

So.......I can either assume it needs rebuilt, do that and install it or just buckle it back together with new seals, add some 80-90W Amsoil, install it and hope for the best. A lot of labor either way.

Scott
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

tranny

Post by SLOroadster »

Scott,
you have some light surface rust on the gears. It might make some noise, it might not. I'd look it over to make sure the syncros are in good shape and if it looks good to go, put it together and give it a shot. Check the 4th gear input shaft for rust as well. If it moves freely all taken apart it should be fine. You do have an early trany in a late box.

Will