Roadster Rear Shocks

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

FergusO

Don't heat the springs!!!!

Post by FergusO »

I agree, don't heat springs to drop them. Coil springs are heat treated and quenched after fabrication, and once you heat them they will softern, but they will continue to settle and they'll never settle the same. You must either cut or buy comp springs (147/pair) from a vendor. Consider replacing the rubber spring perches (kibd a large rubber washer) when you do replace.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

You know, there is something that I don't recall seeing in this thread. If you have the comp rear springs, the comp rear bump stops have been NLA since some time in the 80's. You need to trim them. You may want to go to www.datsun.org and download the Bob Sharp Competition Manual and get the dimensions for how you can trim them to work a little better. You should have more than 1.25" of suspension travel either way.

Sid
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Bump stops

Post by SLOroadster »

If you don't cut the stops way down, you end up with a Harsh ride, and a bit of oversteer (if you add the rear sway bar on top of this it magnifies the oversteer way beyond any resonable amount) I cut my bump stops to match the comp ones that are NLA (my friend has them on his 67.5 2 liter) The ride isn't bad, they are about 1/2 as tall as the stock ones, but rounded. I think I cut them at about 3 inches.
Will

Post by Guest »

Hey guys, I've been through alot trying to stiffen the handling and lower my roadster. Here's a gallery that shows the different ride heights acheived using the:
1)stock setup
2)Cut stock springs front, stock rear springs
3) ",lowering blocks in the rear with stock springs
4)Comp(late) front springs and comp rear leafs
5) Custom front springs, comp rear springs (CURRENTLY)

It finally sits the way I want and is fully dialed in as far as alignment now! Its incredible.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... id=1097516

ANd to prevent anyone from being the idiot I was, do not cut your front springs to a free length of more than 8.25"!!!DO not cut at all actually. The tie rods will hit the frame if you trim the bump stops. ANd if you don't you'll run into horrible bump steer and the car will turn on its own! Here's evidence:
http://www.311s.org/PublicPics/toomuch.jpg
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED