Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bikermike
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: fog light wiring - blowing fuses

Post by bikermike »

roadstermike wrote:Another question related to my headlights and parking lights. My 67.5 toggle has an off, parking light only position and headlight only position. In headlight position, the parking lights turn off. The schematic show this is the way it was designed. I want to have my parking lights stay on with my headlights (better visibility). Other than splicing the two positions together is there a better way to do this? If I splice both wires together, I accomplish my goal but loose my parking light only ability. Thank you to the electrical masters...
The DOT regs (FMVSS) changed for '68 mandating that front parking lights should be on when the headlights are on.
You can have the same effect in a '67.5 by wiring up the parking lights to the same pin on the headlight switch as the tail lights. I don't have a pic handy, but I believe it may be the pin at the very bottom of the switch. So remove the blue/green wire from pin #4 and move it to pin #7 in addition the green/yellow wire that is already there. To preserve the factory wiring you can just make your own "Y" jumper with some spade connectors and wire.

With this rewire, anytime the tail lights are on the parking lights will be on as well. I would tape off the pin 4 on the switch to prevent shorting. I was planning on doing this as well, but I don't like the way my LED parking lights look with the headlights. If I want to be more visible I flip on the fogs.

Stock:

Switch Position 0 = off
Switch Position 1 = tail lights + parking lights
Switch Position 2 = tail lights + headlights

Rewired:
Switch Position 0 = off
Switch Position 1 = tail lights + parking lights
Switch Position 2 = tail lights + parking lights + headlights

Some other rewires you may want to consider are:
A - Setting up the fogs so that they only come on when the tail lights are on (one less switch to forget to turn off) This is an extension of the taillight pin wiring above to also feed the foglight switch from the tail lights.

B - Adding a chime to remind you to turn the lights off when you turn the car off. If you are interested, I can share later.
Last edited by bikermike on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
roadstermike
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by roadstermike »

Great info. Thank you
Michael
67.5 2000 clone
roadstermike

Post by roadstermike »

Bikermike, thanks for the simple layout. I was able to make the change with ease. Now on to the rear wiring. More strange cut wires and splices. I'm shocked it worked before I tore it apart.
Michael
67.5 2000 clone
AC77

Post by AC77 »

bikermike wrote:...B - Adding a chime to remind you to turn the lights off when you turn the car off. If you are interested, I can share later.
I'm interested in the chime. I've only had my car since June and I don't know how many times someone has reminded me that my lights are on.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

AC77 wrote:
bikermike wrote:...B - Adding a chime to remind you to turn the lights off when you turn the car off. If you are interested, I can share later.
I'm interested in the chime. I've only had my car since June and I don't know how many times someone has reminded me that my lights are on.
its easy to do on the cheap, but you can also just add an aftermarket kit.

H/L on buzzer kit
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
AC77

Post by AC77 »

Thanks Phil. $23.95 seems cheap enough to me. Usually on the cheap means more leg work and not as straight forward, for me anyway.
Adam C
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600, "Ivy" Registry | Photos
--
1964.5 Ford Mustang Coupe
1972 Chevy Luv
devo
Roadsteraholic

Post by devo »

AC77 wrote:
A bit cheaper here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pcs-DC-3-24V-P ... SwBgtZxQyE

Easy tutorial here:

fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Just a buzzer without a relay circuit to ground works sometimes on modern cars as there are lots of paths to ground when the ign. is in OFF.
Not so much on older cars....i.e. if the points are open than ign. circuit is open, not grounded.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

Didn't want to start a new thread on a well discussed topic so i'll pose my question here. I hope im not violating forum etiquette. Replacing fog lights after friend backed into my 67 1/2 1600. While removing the old fog lights I discovered some questionable wiring. Passenger side has one wire only coming from harness. Drivers side has two wires coming from harness. one red to fog light lead, and one black. Heres where it gets a bit hinky. P.O. drilled through the old fog light housing and ran the black lead through and connected it between the bulb and the bulb housing. Some kind of primitive ground? As a novice, I am reluctant to proceed without advice. I have looked through previous posts but have not seen this particular situation. As my car has a factory toggle switch on the dash, is it still recommended that I install a relay for the fog lights or will I be ok once the wiring is corrected? The new fog lights only have one lead each so where and how do they get grounded? Forgive my ignorance. I am learning as I go and enjoying the experience. Just don't wanna do more damage than good along the way.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

It's always a good idea to use a relay if possible, just reduces the strain on 50+ year old wires. The factory fog lights ground through the housing to the apron.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

Thanks notoptoy. It seems the relay is a pretty simple install even for a novice according to the article in wikitech. It will give me some experience and a lot more piece of mind. The article is comprehensive and straight forward. Would like to thank whoever posted it but couldn't see who the author might be.
Nissanman

Post by Nissanman »

Here is the schematic of the OEM wiring for the fog/spot lamps: -

fog lamp wiring.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

I don't know exactly what you mean by between bulb and bulb housing, But you can be sure that any grounding through the mounting is suspect because of paint and rust and corrosion, especially on the front of a vehicle so old. That would be the reason for the ground wire that you found. In the course of my rebuild I had two lights, I can't remember which ones, where I had to hard wire a ground in without even thinking of the possibility of it grounding through the mount. I did it by soldering the ground to the light bulb socket. I wouldn't think twice about running a ground.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
bajaroadster

Post by bajaroadster »

Bulb housing was referring to the bulb socket. P.O. ran the ground wire through a hole he drilled in the back of the fog light and simply trapped the wire between the bulb and socket.
As a FYI I found some nice aftermarket fog lights at " The Hot Rod Co." Go to the web site and search Vintage fog lights. Part # C364002. Nice quality period correct lights for reasonable cost. 32.95 ea. With shipping the pair cost me 88.84 to my door.
thehotrodcompany.com
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

bajaroadster wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:11 am Bulb housing was referring to the bulb socket. P.O. ran the ground wire through a hole he drilled in the back of the fog light and simply trapped the wire between the bulb and socket.
As a FYI I found some nice aftermarket fog lights at " The Hot Rod Co." Go to the web site and search Vintage fog lights. Part # C364002. Nice quality period correct lights for reasonable cost. 32.95 ea. With shipping the pair cost me 88.84 to my door.
thehotrodcompany.com

Those lights look exactly like what I had in mind for my roadster. Do you have them yet? If not I will be looking for how well you like them.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn