What Happened to Victor's Roadster

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: What Happened to Victor's Roadster

Post by Gregs672000 »

I really don't think that header is going to help one single bit... In fact, it's gonna hurt your performance greatly. As a concerned Roadster owner, I feel it is my sworn duty to take that header from you in exchange for mine. I know I know, no need to thank me... It's the least I can do... :wink:

Man that thing is sexy! And you're taking the "cold air induction system" to a whole new level! I see why you would want the dampener though, as with that much stuff in there and with the limited room we have, even a little movement will result in vibration. Looks like you're having a ton o fun!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Thanks Skyman, I can't wait to hear it as well, maybe tomorrow I will get it back.

Greg, I am almost overwhelmed by you concern, it is a selfless gesture that you have made. :roll: :wink:

You are right I am having a ton of fun, tinkering really.

here is a pic of the second layer between the manifolds.

Also in the front we are trying some new custom Bilstein shocks for lowered cars upside down to try to help with unsprung weight.

These shocks are again from Lou M. and he has sent some rear ones for us to evaluate in the drive north to the Nationals.

Lou works with one of the top shock guys in Australia, who works on a lot of the leading race car setups.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Those look like early corvette Bilsteins....I know you can get special valving from the factory.......
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

I only met Victor once, but his reputation as an innovator preceded him. Clearly, his Roadster ended up in the right hands. You are doing some great things here Rob. Keep it up!
67.5 SRL311 #00050 - Silver - SU
67.5 SRL311 #00544 - Sora Blue SU
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

fj20spl311, I am not sure if they are Corvette ones, these have no part number but I do know that one end of the shocks mounting had to ber welded on and custom valving.

Datsun.David, thanks for your thoughts on how the car is coming along.

I have my car back and have adjusted the carbs now.

When I took the car for a drive the heat shielding was very hot to touch but the carbs were only warm which is a good result, so the next stage is to do some more "cold air" stuff.

Here the front section is still a cardboard template.

Sorry for the poor photo.

Now to mention how the car goes, considering that it has the new pipes, thanks to Lou and Rod T, new 2" exhaust, thanks to Peter at Newcastle Muffler Service(Lou had a copy made for me of the original over axle pipe with all the correct bends and angles), larger chokes and jets.

It is like driving a different car now, one with a larger motor, it is constantly urging you to put your foot down.
It pulls uphills in 5th from 2,500 rpm, at 3,000 it just eats up the road and wants to go.

Both the induction and exhaust sound so different now, Lou has said that you are hard pressed to get better performance gain for your dollar and I would have to agree.

We have fitted new Bilstein shocks to the rear and after the Nationals we will be trying some softer springs as the Bilsteins ad about 40lbs pressure to the spring rate.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
KenSmart
Roadster Fanatic

Post by KenSmart »

Inspirational stuff as usual Rob! Hope everyone has a safe fun trip to the nationals and back home again. I will be sitting at home dismantling my car dreaming of next year.

May have to head up to Newy for a new exhaust, that muffler must be quite short to fit behind the X section instead of in the middle and do you have a flexible coupling up front? Lou is recommending his Bilsteins up front for my car interested to hear how everything goes with your changes the lower spring seat.
Ken.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Rob, look only at the swinging carburetor jet on the end of this string... back and forth, back and forth... that's it, nice and relaxing...

Now Rob, that header is a real problem... you need to give it to me... this is not the header you are seeking... giving it away is the right thing to do... you WANT to do the right thing, don't you Rob... you HATE that header... getting rid of it is the best thing you can do... pick up the wrench Rob... you KNOW this is the RIGHT THING TO DO... do it NOW Rob...
(hypnosis... I studied it, was impressed with some of the results... how is it working? Let me know when I can expect the UPS truck...) :wink:

Really cool work! I've been chasing cold air induction for years and have made many boxes (Can't say they were good ones though!). After the demise of the last one (which actually was pretty good, but made out of ABS plastic because I don't know how to weld), I considered running baffling like that to feed the carbs with foam filters on them. I have found the foam to be pretty restrictive however so I am angling toward yet another airbox, only this time my friend Steve will take my design and add a few things (like welded in airhorns) and make it out of metal.
Nicely done Rob!!!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Hi Ken,

Thanks, With the exhaust if you come to Newcastle to get your exhaust made, or even if yoiu get it done in Sydney you are welcome to borrow the copy of the rear over axle section, I will have it here to loan out to people as it is very close to the factory one.

The front muffler is 5x3x12" with spiral louvers facing rearward, the rear muffler is the same size but perforated inside.

There is no front mount for the exhaust as it is too close to the mounting on the chassis, I had to trim the chassis tab as it was to clear the long pipes.

There is no flex joint in the system, Peter tried to put one in the middle of the "x" in the chassis but it was def not good.

Greg,

Is this some kind of sick joke!!! oh hang on ......I am fee e e l i n g v e r y s l e e e p y.

What what is that knock at the door, hang on its UPS saying that I have to pack up a parcel, hang on I'm still very sleepy go away I will call you if I want to send something. All I can smell is fuel, what is that thing swinging in front of me.......I must be dreaming about carby jets or something, hope its not aliens coming down to take me away as you know what they love to do with earthling lower regions....

If I come back to the US, my son is going to move there to go to College I will have to come and visit you Greg!

I have the same "non-welding gene" as you but I know a "guy".

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Thanks for playing along! :lol: You're welcome any time! You can tweak on my car!
:smt006
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

trick heat shield Rob always impressed with your fab work!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
eastmedia
Site Supporter

Post by eastmedia »

What college will your son go to?
Ron
66 1600 Cherry
69 1600 Beast
69 2000 Rough
67.5 1600 Basket Case (in the family)
66 1600 race car (Steve Allen's)
70 1600 survivor (sold 2020)
68 1600 Beauty (sold 2014)
68 1600 My first (sold 1991)
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Hi Ron,

My son is 15years old atm and we have signed him up with a scouting company that will find him a college to go to in approx 2 1/2 years time.

He wants to play college Soccer and study Exercise Science so in the meantime we have to video his soccer games and he has to concentrate on his studies to do well enough to make this happen.

So it is early days yet but he has a plan which is a great start.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Got some interesting temperature readings last night with a digital thermometer with a laser pointer after going for a drive.

Air cleaner outer dome= 28c

carb body= 36c

shield between radiator and manifolds= 51c

inlet manifold= 68c

rocker cover= 68c

drivers fender= 30c

drivers door= 20c

It was a cool night and I am happy with the results.

1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
ladydriver
Site Supporter

Post by ladydriver »

now that is cool!
www.datsunfairlady.nl
Dutch register and growing to EUropean
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Well back from Nationals, had a great time and car went well.

Here are a couple of videos of part of the way home.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG