Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Post by dbrick »

Linda wrote:JBL on the dash, I may try velcro or something to keep it there.
Maybe one of those sticky mats for the cell phones? It's easilly removed but I don't know if it will work upside down.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
68DSU
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by 68DSU »

I've been thinking of ways to keep my stock radio but bring real tunes into the car. Technology has caought up with my ideas and I think a portable, Blue tooth arrangement may be the way to go.
Thanks!!
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Bose now makes a version, just sayin...
Checkout Bose.com and look at Bluetooth speakers. Pricey, but your Roadster is worth it, right?
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
acuboy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by acuboy »

The little jambox is not loud enough. The one problem I've found with the big Jambox is where to put it. It fits nicely on top of the center console, but that cuts out the room for your arm. I've been putting it on the passenger seat, which really isn't very safe. Linda's mounting of the JBL looks pretty sweet. The number of good blutooth systems seems to be exploding and it really is a good option for these cars. Especially, if you park in places where theft is a problem.

-d
2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel converted to run on vegetable oil
1967.5 Datsun 1600
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Thanks to you guys (for spending my money) I went ahead and ordered the big jambox. Looking fwd to trying it out next week.

I wonder if there is a way to "sling" it from under the dash on the passenger's side. I was thinking I'd run with it on the parcel shelf but I'm a little afraid of that thing hitting the back of my head at 70 mph...

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I have put the speaker right on the shift plate on my 1600 also. With the non slip mat suggested, I think that will work.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

Does a 3,5" speaker fit in the sidewall at the front, there is a small hole into the side, I think 2 inch but how much larger can it be made.
I find it so difficult to fit in a speaker without cutting(visible) into the car.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Datsun Roadster '66 #7000 Sora Blue, restored 220 Hp and 340 Nm
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

I mounted my infinity speakers in the lower holes behind the seats, I like it, you don't see them to much and the sound great, the holes where about 4" so this speaker fitted after a little milling.
I choose the lower hole because the higher holes were covered by the top-boot.
Now a new stereo, I like the retro-sound Zuma radio very much.
Last edited by peter on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall,torque is how far you take the wall with you.
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

peter wrote:I mounted my infinity speakers in the lower holes after the seats, I like it, you don't see them to much and the sound great, the holes where about 4" so this speaker fitted after a little milling.
What size are those, peter?
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I fit 6 or 6.5" top mount Boston Acoustics, they were a shallow depth model, so the back was closer in size to a 4". be sure to secure the speaker wire or wrap in foam, mine slapped around and made more noise than you would think it could

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

Is there any interest in hooking up an iPod to the stock AM radio?

Sick idea, I know. I've been researching two methods - one is completely reversible, the other involves a few hardware changes.....
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

I'd like to be able to hook a Bluetooth device into the stock radio, then get a better speaker and have it as a alternative sound system.
What's involved?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

If anyone is worried about messing up their nice interior panels, I just got done making some "new ones" (as my old ones were COMPLETELY trashed by years of numerous abuses). I followed someone's suggestion on the list about using those plastic, often political or real estate street sign as paneling, copying the old panel as best I could, and doing some test fitting. The plastic panels were surprisingly easy to work with, and strong. Used nice but light gauge vinyl, copied the old vinyl after deconstructing the panel, then did the best I could to fit the new vinyl, gluing it down when I was happy with the fit. Those clamp-like paper clips were perfect holders to keep the edges down while the glue set. Then I cut the holes for my 6.5 speakers. It all came out good. It wasn't expensive, and worst case scenario is you have to try a couple times until you're happy.

I think that area is a pretty good spot for a decent size speaker. I went in the center hole so the speaker is up higher and installed Sony Xplodes (decent tri-axle). Two cheap 8" subs in the back (yes, the panel is cut, but by the PO so... What can ya do), with little surface mount tweeters up front on the triangular pieces near your leg, aimed back at you. Inexpensive cross overs keep frequencies separate. Cheap stuff really, but with only a 40watt amp running the subs, it sounds pretty good and I can easily hear it over the exhaust and the induction noises.

Now I just need the car back together!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

#RFR, the are 5 1/4" speakers and the type is 5032I, the have 45watt of rms power.
RFR wrote:
peter wrote:I mounted my infinity speakers in the lower holes after the seats, I like it, you don't see them to much and the sound great, the holes where about 4" so this speaker fitted after a little milling.
What size are those, peter?
peter
Roadsteraholic

Post by peter »

#Greg, it's not I am afraid of messing up my panels, because I can make simple new ones I am more afraid to mess up my body, I want it leave a original as possible.