Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

70-1600
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Post by 70-1600 »

I've started work on putting new sound into my ride. I started with the sub-woofer project in a stock speaker box mod. The donor box came from Tim (tjp) that he dug up for me. I stripped and re-painted the box and mounted a 6" low profile woofer from Dayton Audio (model LW150-4). I'll power it with a Kicker mono subwoofer amp (model PXA200.1). It's a very small amp and I had hoped to mount it inside the speaker box, but there just wasn't enough room for it. Here's some snaps of the project so far.

The donor speaker box torn down...
Donor Spkr Box.jpg
The Dayton low profile woofer compared to the stock 6.5" speaker...
Low Profile Woofer.jpg
Sub woofer mounted to the box. The mounting hole pattern was just a bit smaller than the existing speaker. I mounted it on some rubber washers to space it off the surface of the metal box...
Woofer Mounted.jpg
Woofer Installed.jpg
And the mono subwoofer amp mounted to the top of box. There's just enough clearance above the box for this little guy to mount...
Amp Mounted.jpg
The main amp is a Blaupunkt 2 channel amp with RCA line inputs and line outputs. I'll front this amp with a bluetooth receiver and run the line outputs to the line inputs of the subwoofer amp. The main speakers will be 5.25" two ways mounted in the side panels behind the seats (the way others have done). All the parts are in hand...just putting it together over the coming weekends. Looking forward to hearing it.

-jt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 1600 - SPL-31127516
San Jose, CA
Toptech360
Roadsteraholic

Post by Toptech360 »

Nice work! I did something similar only used a self powered kenwood subwoofer and mounted it in place of the stock speaker. It surprisingly bumps better than I had expected. Even at freeway speeds. I love the sound of the carburetors barking but I also like good tunes and both can be had in a roadster with some creativity.
Dan
1964 Datsun SPL310. The Datsun
1997 Toyota Tacoma LX 4wd. The Truck
2009 Subaru Forester XT.
2017 Toyota AWD Swagger Wagon.
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Nice ! My stereo sounds great But , needs better installation .. I'm taking a break off the car for a bit so not to go crazy or drive anyone crazy here .. haha enjoy the music !
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Bigtaku
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Bigtaku »

g113DDX9905-o_other0.jpg
I purchased the Kenwood Excelon DDX9905S for my custom center console. I have just purchased the Miata seat speaker upgrade. https://www.3rdstrategy.com/RetrofitKit.html
I was planning on using speakers on the bottom holes and small speakers up front somewhere. I am also putting in a small sub but not sure where or what. I will most likely be getting a amp as well if the Kenwood isn't enough power.
If anyone has recently installed speakers please post.
Stay tuned for pictures as I go with the install
IMG_0465.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael Montez
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

sweet!
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Anybody mount speakers/sound bars to the roll bar? Any pics?
bajaroadster
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bajaroadster »

Roll bar install would likely be a great temptation to thieves unfortunatly. But maybe Im just paranoid.When I installed speakers in the side panels above the package shelf, I covered the whole panel in an "acoustacally invisible" fabric to eliminate the speaker covers. Anyone looking into the car would not know that there were speakers there. Mounted the head unit and amp in the trunk with a small remote unit in the cockpit that was only visible if seated in the drivers seat. As far as anyone could tell, nothing to steal.
Ive seen normal. It aint pretty.
onsight512
Site Supporter

Post by onsight512 »

Does anyone know if there's a way to use an app (phone) to control the F/R balance on one of those Kenwood kac-m1824bt amps? I just got mine hooked up to two 6x9s on the package shelf. I'm going to see about fitting a pair of 4" Retrosound speakers up front in the footwells and will probably wish I had more control of the amp.