Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Post by bobd »

I used a "mechless" marine unit, no disc player, but bluetooth ,usb (thumbdrive) , and aux inputs. I have put similar units in two of our other vehicles.
Having all those options is great,but most of the time I just listen to the radio!
'69 1600 with SR20DE
boxcar
Roadster Nut

Post by boxcar »

I'm in the process as we speak. My car is a resto mod/ barn survivor that is never destined to be a show winner. But as many have stated here. I didn't want to drill holes in a car as rare as this one. My solution is much more old school / heavy/ and , some would say, overkill.
I do like my music though.
I am running an Eclipse 4100 4 channel main amp , an Eclipse 1100 sub amp , 2 MB Quart 6x9 coax, 2 MB Quart 6.5 rounds under the dash , 1 - 8" SSL single coil 4 ohm sub and a Sony head unit mounted in a remote under dash pod under the glove box. Oh , and will be adding an 80 amp Denzo alternator. I'll probably have to add a supercharger to haul all of the added weight around.
The rear deck has an upholstered false floor that the boxes are built into.
NCM_0253.JPG
The Amp is mounted to existing weld nuts and the unused adjuster points for the deck lid torsion springs .
NCM_0252.JPG
So far no new holes. We shall see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Linda »

Nice, but what about theft? Many like the small hidden units to help avoid it.
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
boxcar
Roadster Nut

Post by boxcar »

It would take a rocket scientist to remove the rear deck. That, and I won't be daily driving the car. No prolonged stays in Fred Meyers parking lot.
The car will be alarmed and low jack equipped.
Beyond that, I don't know what to do. If a thief wants what you have they will figure a way to take it. I won't alter my fun just to sute there habits.
That's what insurance is for.
I also live in Astoria Oregon . I know nearly everyone in town , and they know me. If I was still in southern cali ?????? I'd probably chain a pit bull to the car every time I parked it.
Thanks Linda .
oppositeLock
Roadster Fanatic

Post by oppositeLock »

I removed my stereo and installed a header. Sounds pretty excellent. :D
'68 R16 + 5spd
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

You are right about So Cal.
My previous Roadster was stolen. You feel like an idiot second-guessing yourself on where you parked ... then realizing your car was ripped..
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
boxcar
Roadster Nut

Post by boxcar »

Yea. I had a Lotus nabbed in San Diego back in the 80's. Large population arias make me nervous any more.
guyatou
Roadster Fanatic

Post by guyatou »

I put a Kenwood KAC-M1824BT in the trunk, and routed the control module to right above my right knee, next to the center console. There's an old tape deck in the console that I use as an on-off switch. Nobody's likely to steal the tape deck, and the rest is hidden.

I got a set of Pioneer 5.25" component speakers (they have separate tweeters). I put the big speakers in the existing hole behind the driver and passenger seat, and ran a wire to the little triangle supports in the footwell where I mounted the tweeters. This combo works pretty well for me, and is plenty loud for street driving.

Dynamat on the panels where the speakers are helped, and I also took the stuffing out of an old pillow to fill the void behind the speakers.

I'd shoot photos of all this, but my trunk is full -- I leave for a 3000 mile trip to Colorado early Tuesday!
Michael D.
Oklahoma City
1968 SRL-311
1930 Model A Ford
insta: @downesphoto
ct06033
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ct06033 »

guyatou wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:55 pm I put a Kenwood KAC-M1824BT in the trunk, and routed the control module to right above my right knee, next to the center console. There's an old tape deck in the console that I use as an on-off switch. Nobody's likely to steal the tape deck, and the rest is hidden.

I got a set of Pioneer 5.25" component speakers (they have separate tweeters). I put the big speakers in the existing hole behind the driver and passenger seat, and ran a wire to the little triangle supports in the footwell where I mounted the tweeters. This combo works pretty well for me, and is plenty loud for street driving.

Dynamat on the panels where the speakers are helped, and I also took the stuffing out of an old pillow to fill the void behind the speakers.

I'd shoot photos of all this, but my trunk is full -- I leave for a 3000 mile trip to Colorado early Tuesday!
You wouldn't happen to be going to the Silver Summit in Colorado, would you? Cause Ill be there, and i did see another Roadster on the roster.
2016 Audi TTS
2005 Honda S2000
1968 Datsun 1600
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

oppositeLock wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:00 am I removed my stereo and installed a header. Sounds pretty excellent. :D
lol . .. funny ... my franken header is so loud I got 2 amps going . haha
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
Lorna c
Site Supporter

Post by Lorna c »

Linda wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 12:23 am You are right about So Cal.
My previous Roadster was stolen. You feel like an idiot second-guessing yourself on where you parked ... then realizing your car was ripped..
Linda
OMG I often wondered who would take a stand out car like these . bummer . sorry to hear that . :-(
:wink:
"Is it me, or does everyone want to race ?"

late 68 1600 3 main motor .
guyatou
Roadster Fanatic

Post by guyatou »

ct06033 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:07 pm
guyatou wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:55 pm I put a Kenwood KAC-M1824BT in the trunk, and routed the control module to right above my right knee, next to the center console. There's an old tape deck in the console that I use as an on-off switch. Nobody's likely to steal the tape deck, and the rest is hidden.

You wouldn't happen to be going to the Silver Summit in Colorado, would you? Cause Ill be there, and i did see another Roadster on the roster.
Just saw this note. It was great to meet you at Silver Summit! Next year we will swap cars for one of the legs. I'm dying to try out your rad suspension!
Michael D.
Oklahoma City
1968 SRL-311
1930 Model A Ford
insta: @downesphoto
ct06033
Roadster Fanatic

Post by ct06033 »

guyatou wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 3:35 pm
ct06033 wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Just saw this note. It was great to meet you at Silver Summit! Next year we will swap cars for one of the legs. I'm dying to try out your rad suspension!
Absolutely! It was an absolute blast and awesome meeting you and the others. We will definitely swap seats too assuming my car doesn't burst into flames again! haha.
2016 Audi TTS
2005 Honda S2000
1968 Datsun 1600
Curtis
Site Supporter
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

I'm taking a different route to fill in the front sound. Building a slightly wider speaker box for 2 4x6 speakers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
Veuash
Forum Newb

Post by Veuash »

It has been my experience that comparing sensitivity ratings from brand to brand is unreliable. Side by side comparisons on the same power often reflect a different outcome. Not all brands provide honest specs. Not all specs use the same qualifications, such as weighting, etc. The sensitivity rating may reflect the 'peak' rather than the 'average' and I do not want a peaky or erratic sounding speaker. Generally the more linear speakers will have a slightly lower sensitivity, whether marine, car or in home. A 1 watt sensitivity spec was very useful in the day of tube amplifiers because the power was so limited. In contrast, today, big power is relatively cheap so the speaker designer/builder has more options in choosing his objectives.
It may seem like a small distinction but there is a difference between sensitivity and efficiency. A speaker with a very short voice coil winding could have a sensitivity advantage at 1 watt but can quickly lose its effectiveness, or efficiency, at higher power levels with longer excursions. A speaker with a lower 1 watt sensitivity rating could actually play louder with 50 watts and provide deeper bass response.

I am sadly well versed with the "Bose for hire" system label https://10carbest.com/best-car-speakers the EQ was set to preform within a certain specification with some adjustment available to the user. If someone can rebut me on this please do, as it would be nice to know if they have corrected their ways and demand on installing their own componentry again. The 80's Cadillac Bose system is a great example of at least partial proprietary componentry, using star drivers for front fill, plus specific amps (forget what the rears were). The same setup was also found in 80's Corvettes with some EQ and amp changes for the difference in layout and noise level.

My current car has the Bose moniker attached to the speakers and it sounds terrible, like i'm listening with wax paper and tin cans over my ears. I dream of having the JVC/CDT setup that I threw in my last work car. But that was not factory. I guess I could have been more specific on component breakdown and their true place in the reproduction of sound, but this is an open ended discussion targeted towards everyone here, with the encouragement to add technical details if they have the info readily available.There are many interesting videos on YouTube, I'll leave one of them here, I hope someone will help in the future.