Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Post by Tomakze »

I am an MECP certified installer, meaning I install radios, security systems, etc for a living, and my '68 1600 is in need of all of the above! I managed to score a nice Pioneer radio with AUX jack from work (My car's console was cut by the PO already) and some really nice Kicker 5.25" speakers. I plan to install the speakers in the rear, behind the seats. I was going to cut holes to mount them out of the wall between the driver's compartment and trunk, as I have seen several others do the same. For the front speakers, I was thinking about using some small 3.5" speakers and mounting them in the doors behind the door panel (And removing the cardboard from that area, perhaps drilling a nice pattern of holes in the fabric like some cars have from the factory) as there is a nice round hole in the door in front of the window crank that might just work. Has anyone attempted this? The only thing I haven't figured out yet is where to run a rubber boot to run the wiring between the car and the door. I was also considering a small (8") shallow mount subwoofer mounted in the center of the same wall as the rear speakers... Is there any disadvantage of cutting so many holes in that wall (Aside from the obvious, my car is full of rust, so I am not concerned with resale value. I am talking structure disadvantages.)

I have also purchased a nice alarm system for the car, complete with a motion detector. This way, I can go to the store and leave my top down and not have to worry. If anyone even reaches inside the car, the alarm will sound. I will also install power door locks inside the door while I am at it. (My car has no keys to the doors, so this is a cheap way of getting around this... not to mention, cool as heck!)

I may do a "how-to" when I am finished... I would imagine I am not the only person that has thought of this.
JMartin
Roadster Fanatic

Re: Roadster radio/speakers/subwoofer ideas...

Post by JMartin »

My only comment about installing the speakers in the back vertical panel is that if you drive with the top down, it gets stored right in front of that area, so any decent sound would be completely muffled. That said, it is a convertible, so you can't always get decent sound with the top down....as previously posted, some people just turn up the volume to drown out the exhaust.

69-2000
one done, one to go!
scogre
Roadster Fanatic

Post by scogre »

I would love to see the whole power lock install. Might as well do a power window install while you are at it. :)

Kevin Desirello has done some pretty incredible Audio stuff to his car. If you look at the thread http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16000 , you can see his subwoofer where the heater would go, the tweeters in the window posts, and the speaker box in the wheel well. All really awesome!
Dreaming of the day when I can drive my '69 Roadster with a SR20DET motor purring beneath the body. :)

http://www.DatsunRoadsterFun.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
68DSU
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by 68DSU »

There is a convenient circular hole in the sheet metal forward of the door. I don't know if that will give good sound but like they say, it is a convertible. I've shied away from the back deck because I don't want to make it look like my car with no roof has something good in it.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Speakers fit well in existing holes in the side panels behind the seats, if you use top mounts or shallow speakers, they fit without hacking. Amp in the front footwell, close to the battery.
details here.
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 714#p93452

If you really want a sub, there is space below the rear package shelf, but I doubt it would be heard. Someone at Watkins Glen had some kind of speaker driver, he called them thumpers on the floorpan below the seats. Bass was felt more than heard, but it works.

Alvin has a gallery here http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p104548

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

If it were me, not saying I know anything, but hey, the advice costs you nothing, I'd do this;

Mount some front speakers under the dash in the left /right triangular sections.........Probably can fit up to a 5 inch speaker in each panel...real stealth.

In back use the side panels, the holes are already there and you can get 6 inchers in easily.

For subs, right behind the seats, you could build a box to house two smaller subs.

Decent sounds, stealth installation.

There, advice worth what you paid for it. :mrgreen:
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
JMartin
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JMartin »

I don't know if Pioneer still makes them, but a pair of "Truck Rider" speakers mount directly behind the seats on the upright panel below the rear shelf.

69-2000
one done, one to go!
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

RFR wrote:If it were me, not saying I know anything, but hey, the advice costs you nothing, I'd do this;

Mount some front speakers under the dash in the left /right triangular sections.........Probably can fit up to a 5 inch speaker in each panel...real stealth.

In back use the side panels, the holes are already there and you can get 6 inchers in easily.

For subs, right behind the seats, you could build a box to house two smaller subs.

Decent sounds, stealth installation.

There, advice worth what you paid for it. :mrgreen:
Actually, this is kinda what I am thinking... I had forgotten about those holes behind the seat. I may still do the speakers in the doors, just because I would worry about speakers in the lower kick panels being... well... kicked. Still thinking about the sub. Possibilities are plentiful!
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

dbrick wrote: Someone at Watkins Glen had some kind of speaker driver, he called them thumpers on the floorpan below the seats. Bass was felt more than heard, but it works.
I know what you are talking about! The are called tactile transducers, or bass shakers, or butt kickers. Cool stuff. I considered them, but I think I would rather have a sub. Because of where I work, I can get this stuff CHEAP.
Roman
Site Supporter

Post by Roman »

Tomakze wrote: I may still do the speakers in the doors, just because I would worry about speakers in the lower kick panels being... well... kicked.
I wasn't talking about the kick panels. If you stick your head under the dash there are two triangular shaped panels that you cannot see when in the seating position. The one on your left has the hood release.

I did this once on a 66 where I cut holes in those panels.................you couldn't see the speakers, and most certainly never kicked them. Sounded pretty good too.
Will trade guitars for roadsters, food, shelter, clothes, etc, etc.
Tomakze
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Tomakze »

RFR wrote:
Tomakze wrote: I may still do the speakers in the doors, just because I would worry about speakers in the lower kick panels being... well... kicked.
I wasn't talking about the kick panels. If you stick your head under the dash there are two triangular shaped panels that you cannot see when in the seating position. The one on your left has the hood release.

I did this once on a 66 where I cut holes in those panels.................you couldn't see the speakers, and most certainly never kicked them. Sounded pretty good too.
Huh! I will investigate this when I work on the car next. I like that idea!
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

Since low frequencies are non directional, a sub in the back panel works fine regardless of what's back there (top, etc.). The side panels behind the seats work well for up to 6.5" round speakers (I had to use 1/2" spacers), and surface mounted tweeters on the triangles up front have helped some with clarity, but might do better mounted elsewhere as high frequencies ARE directional. I installed stuff I could afford to lose or abuse, since sound in a convertable is limited. It does fairly well considering how loud my exhaust is. I have two 8" subs in the back panel (didn't need both really), 2 6.5" Sony Xplode 3ways in the rear side panels, and two surface mount tweeters up front, with some appropriately powerful amp and cross overs to drive it all tucked up in the passender firewall. For the couple hundred bucks I've invested it sounds pretty good.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
bikermike
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by bikermike »

My goal was a stealthy install.

I found some 5.25" speaker boxes and put 2 speakers under the dash, w/ crossovers, behind the "triangles". The speakers point towards the tranny tunnel and primarily handle mid-bass although they are 2 ways. I needed to get creative with a jigsaw on the box to mount on the driver's side in order to clear the four-way flasher switch. Then I added a a couple of tweeters below the dash pointed up at the ears to cover the highs.

To get more bass, I found a 6" powered subwoofer tube then fits behind the driver's seat between the tunnel and curved area. I have only mocked it up for a test and it sounds good. Now that I upgraded the alternator I'll install it for real.

I also have a removable speaker box with 6x9's for the parcel shelf that I use sometimes.

Next I want to add a small amp under the passenger seat. At some point I'll post some pics to document, but maybe this will stir some ideas.
Last edited by bikermike on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

First off, please don't cut holes in the back pannel between the trunk and the passenger compartment.

I've had several variations of a stereo setup in my car. The first one was using the Miata seats with the speakers in the headrests. I mounted the amp for the sub to a piece of wood that I then mounted to the trunk side of the rear pannel using exsisting holes for screws/bolts. The power cable was run down the passenger side and through the pass through area over the rear fenders into the trunk. From there I ran a sub box in the trunk that I couldn't hear well, and then I moved it to the package shelf where I still couldn't hear it well.

After the Miata speakers died I installed a big box that included mid ranges and tweaters on the package shelf. It sort of worked, but not well. It was fine with the top up, but I had to turn the thing all the way up to hear it on the road with the top down.

After the deck died, I pulled everything out and now I run an MP3 player with headphones. The original sub box went to my Alfa, then afte that was destroyed, it moved to the M3 with the original 2 channel Jenson (pos) amp driving it.

I have to be honest, there is no good way to install a stereo that will sound good running down the road. Too much wind noise and motor noise.

As for an alarm, I can't see the use. Those things are just noise polution. Heck, I deleted the locks on my car. I'd rather someone just open the door to rip something off rather than cut holes in the top or break the windows. Then again, the top is rarely on the car and there is never anything to steal out of it.

To each their own.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Is wearing headphones while driving legal in California? I don't think it is here.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...