Flat dash conversion. A work in progress.

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Flat dash conversion. A work in progress.

Post by notoptoy »

Ahhhh, I see said the blind man.
It's low windshield blinders, I didn't realize the high windshield's were different.
I learn yet again!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
dynaguy
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dynaguy »

Here is another option for the turn signal mechanism cover. I took a late model cover. Cut, with a hacksaw, a section about 1-3/16" off the front. Then I ground off the ridge on the inside of that piece with a dremel. This piece fits in the open area between the early cover and the steering wheel. You can use the set screw to hold the late piece tight. I probably will glue the late piece to the early piece to firm everything up. Pics tell the story.

Pat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MSmethers
Site Supporter

Post by MSmethers »

Hmm, coulda sworn my 70 was on the left. Live and learn.

I'm in the process of trying to convert the heater controls from the 67.5 console to the 70 heater box. It seems the Shut-Def-Cabin cable needs to be reversed. It pulls when it needs to push (or vice/versa). Anyone successfully tackled this yet? Seems the vent, and hot/cold will work fine, but stumped on the directional control.

Marshal
Drive it like you stole it!
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x255 ... %20SPL311/
1970 SPL 311
1967 Pontiac GTO
1999 Pontiac Firebird
1995 GMC Sierra 1500
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

MSmethers wrote:Hmm, coulda sworn my 70 was on the left. Live and learn.

I'm in the process of trying to convert the heater controls from the 67.5 console to the 70 heater box. It seems the Shut-Def-Cabin cable needs to be reversed. It pulls when it needs to push (or vice/versa). Anyone successfully tackled this yet? Seems the vent, and hot/cold will work fine, but stumped on the directional control.

Marshal
I know I am a cowboy, but does it really matter if the control is backwards?
You will know....I never look, just the Shut and Cabin will be reversed....LOL....
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
mraitch
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by mraitch »

those knobs never made any intuitive connection any way - just like download/upload in computer terms - always seemed a matter of where you were. = why wasn't it send/receive ??
I guess that you could reverse the direction (somehow) by adding some bracket so that the cable is pulling/pushing from behind (nearer the engine compartment) - but I agree with the cowboy approach - who will ever know??

By the way, while you are in that area - have the heater radiator checked out - mine looked fine - but I took it to a radiator guy anyway - I am NEVER going to touch the heater again - and he found some pinholes in the pipes and a TON of rust (relatively)

FWIW

Additionally - if you have ANY intention of painting it - he said be careful what paint you use (not specifiied) because the heat can cause some ongoing unpleasant smells - he just suggested that I leave it alone.
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
MSmethers
Site Supporter

Post by MSmethers »

After taking a good look at things, The outside air/inside air had to be reversed. Mainly because of the way the control levers work. Had it not been reversed, when the selector is moved to defrost, cabin air is the only option. All of my "modern" cars use outside/cowl air to run the defroster. Basically I cut off the arm from the flap, reversed in 180 degrees, and lengthened the cable securer thingy. Now when the selector is moved to defrost, cowl air runs through the core. The downside is there is no recirculation of cabin air in any heat position. I'll cowboy the rest of it. I don't plan on having to use the heater much anyway. Now it's just a matter of climbing in, hooking up all the cables and installing the console.

I hadn't thought about paint and odors. I used 500 degree engine enamel. Probably a little stinky until heat cycled a few times.

Marshal
Drive it like you stole it!
http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x255 ... %20SPL311/
1970 SPL 311
1967 Pontiac GTO
1999 Pontiac Firebird
1995 GMC Sierra 1500
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

Thread from the dead. Any pictures of what you guys did with the VIN tag from your high windshield dash? Where is the best spot to mount it?
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I was planning to rivet it to the dash pad....its made it to my dresser draw so far.....IIRC?....LOL
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
GoldHawg
Roadsteraholic

Post by GoldHawg »

I didn't really like my plug welds, so I added a couple of small L brackets to both ends that I could get better weld on and would add more support. Also, I had to lower my steering column a fair amount to fit properly; I'll be adding some spacers there. I was able to use the existing hole on the flat dash to directly bolt in on the passenger side, and had to redrill it slightly lower for the drivers side. But it feels very secure now.

I need to go back and put some POR 15 on trimmed part of the upper piece that was welded in, and there are some gaps in there between the welds. Do others just fill it with seam sealer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

Another bump on this thread. Anyone have any old windshield weather stripping (bottom) and/or old dash pad? I finally have all my swap parts and my car back and ready to convert to flat dash.
C.Costine
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by C.Costine »

aspitfire wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 pm Another bump on this thread. Anyone have any old windshield weather stripping (bottom) and/or old dash pad? I finally have all my swap parts and my car back and ready to convert to flat dash.
I would get a new windshield weather strip. You don't want to chance leakage there so you want new and supple.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
aspitfire
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aspitfire »

C.Costine wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:54 am
aspitfire wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:06 pm Another bump on this thread. Anyone have any old windshield weather stripping (bottom) and/or old dash pad? I finally have all my swap parts and my car back and ready to convert to flat dash.
I would get a new windshield weather strip. You don't want to chance leakage there so you want new and supple.
Yea i have a brand new one, just didn't to risk damaging it while fabing the dash. If I can't find one, I will use that.
Mattk
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Mattk »

I’m getting ready to start a dash con, I have a bottom strip but it’ll be a couple three weeks before I can part with it. But when I’m done it’s yours.

Matthew
MattK
drieseck
Site Supporter

Post by drieseck »

Marshal (&Pat), Many thanks for these description and photos. While many years behind, your assistance through this thread is still priceless. I have the 67.5 portion fabbed as described, I'm heading toward cutting the "ears." It looks/reads to me that you "snuck-up" on the ears, -----then---- in-the-end continued cutting all the way back to the bottom of the pinch-weld which will hold the rubber windshield gasket. In my car (68') the ears are basically part of a narrow, dash-wide panel/metal welded up-under right at that "bottom" location you describe. Where they meet is essentially a seam and I read as the place I should cut-to? Thanks for any help in advance. Dave
And, is there any chance someone has the previously mentioned "invaluable section of lower windshield gasket" sitting unloved in their shop?? I'm happy to ship, borrow and return.
68' 2L solex- in progress
68' 2L SU- driver, 69' 2L next