Was the Solex 44PHH Type S5 ever used on Roadsters?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Re: Was the Solex 44PHH Type S5 ever used on Roadsters?

Post by jamesw »

Hi David,

Wow small world.

Yes, I learned that trick about ganging all of the intake runners together from Spyder. It just helps the motor run smoother. I plug the ports while I'm balancing the carbs and then re-attach it afterwards.

On the fuel feeds - mine came that way but I'm sure it's easy to re-orient the banjo bolts.

The fuel pressure gauge is just nice to have. If the car has been sitting a while, I engage the ignition which kicks on my electric fuel pump. Then I can see the gauge pop alive and I know I have pressure to start the engine. W/ the stock mechanical pump and no gauge you just have to sit there and crank it w/ the starter. On my car she literally fires up instantly when I turn the key which is cool.

Regarding cold air intakes, check out Greg's CAI and filter box - he's Gregs2000 on here I think.

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

It is amazing the stuff you can learn on here - all makes good sense... I will definitely check out Greg's Cold air...

My Dad is in College Station, Texas and I am always sending him stuff from Ebay to send up to us here because a bunch of guys down there are intimidated by Canadian bidders... Funny really, as most of us are desperate for stuff we can't find up here, willing to pay more, and honest to a fault... (the Canadian way :D )

I test drove a 240 in Houston a couple of years ago that was matte black exterior with a huge Holley carb on the straight six... the Sales guy from the used car lot almost had a coronary as we floated sideways down the off ramp...
67.5 SRL311 #00050 - Silver - SU
67.5 SRL311 #00544 - Sora Blue SU
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

When the ice in the airbox melts, you get free water injection.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

Nuts... I missed the opportunity... $910 seemed to rich for my blood. The seller was prepared to take less, but I got distracted with parenting and missed it... I have another option that I am going to follow up... Thanks for all the feedback guys.
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

Hang in there David - these pop up on Ebay and Craigslist all the time - just keep looking and you'll get some. Since you already have 40's mounted I'm assuming you already have the correct manifold for the 44's? And the water tube, throttle cable-stand, etc? I think the hardest thing to get sorted may be the linkage.

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
Datsun.David
Site Supporter

Post by Datsun.David »

Thanks James...

I have the stock solex manifold, water tube, heatshield, and a tonne of extra linkage that I scavenged along the way, with I think most of the critical pieces. I have a solex valve cover on my 69 that I was contemplating on swapping over to the 67.5... or buying another one for the 69 and having a solex and an su for the 67... that might make more sense.

Also want to find an 8 litre pan... Sold one with #558. Should have kept it too...
68 Roadster Race Car
69 SRL311
69 SRL311
72 PL510
74 260Z - Silver
harrison
Roadster Fanatic

Post by harrison »

I just picked up a set of these 44PHH Type S5 mikunis. I was wondering is any has pics of the linkage they are using. Also any info on proper jetting. I am running a B Cam.
02 WRX
75 280Z
JT68
Talented Enthusiast

Post by JT68 »

They use the same linkage as S4 which is not the same as the early mikuni linkage. I have these kits available in stainless steel.
Thanks! jim
LT/JT
https://www.datsunrestorationproducts.com/
Only the very BEST parts for your Datsun- 10000's of items in stock
New, Used and Reproduction!
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

harrison wrote:I just picked up a set of these 44PHH Type S5 mikunis. I was wondering is any has pics of the linkage they are using. Also any info on proper jetting. I am running a B Cam.
There are several folks here who can make some general suggestions on jetting, but that varies a bit car to car and location to location. In the long run, I strongly suggest the use of a wide band O2 Air/Fuel meter to finalize jetting. They truly simplify the process and can help you trouble shoot issues... for example, am I over fueling on acceleration, and if so is that due to main jet, air jet or an over pumping accelerator jet? What happens to my ratio if I change to a larger air jet, and how does that effect overall running across the rpm range? What ratio am I running at idle? Am I leaning out at 5800 rpms and threatening the engine?
I've messed with carb jetting for years, read plugs, etc. The wide band changed all that. I'm a tinkerer, so I like to experiment, and nothing beats objective data in real time!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Post by SLOroadster »

harrison wrote:I just picked up a set of these 44PHH Type S5 mikunis. I was wondering is any has pics of the linkage they are using. Also any info on proper jetting. I am running a B Cam.
There are various thoughts on jetting. It depends on whether or not you have independant or homogenous variations. The Independent ones are easy to tell because the pilot (idle) jets attach directly to the floatbowls. From there, it depends on altitude, and what your specific engine likes. It would help to know what you have to start with. The pilot jets sit under the jet cover, and are marked likely between 55 and 65. The Main air and fuel jets are in the jet blocks. The air jets are on top, and the fuels on the bottom. You will have to pull the jet block out to see what the fuels are. It just unscrews. You might be able to pull them without removing the air jets, but the air jets may unscrew, then you will need another big flathead screwdriver to pull the jet blocks. Once we know what you have, figuring out where to go will be easier.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
harrison
Roadster Fanatic

Post by harrison »

That is a great idea with the wideband sensor and gauge. I think ill install one with the new headers.
02 WRX
75 280Z
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

harrison wrote:That is a great idea with the wideband sensor and gauge. I think ill install one with the new headers.
I think you will love It! There are several threads here about them, installation etc. Be sure to have a good idea what the different jets and stuff do. There are some good online manuals that will give you a good idea about how the carbs work if you're not familiar. We also can help guide you. Have fun! Nothing beats the sound!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
harrison
Roadster Fanatic

Post by harrison »

Gregs672000 wrote:
harrison wrote:That is a great idea with the wideband sensor and gauge. I think ill install one with the new headers.
I think you will love It! There are several threads here about them, installation etc. Be sure to have a good idea what the different jets and stuff do. There are some good online manuals that will give you a good idea about how the carbs work if you're not familiar. We also can help guide you. Have fun! Nothing beats the sound!
I'll be ordering new headers and various parts from datsun parts llc. Where did you add the bung? at the collector or after the flex pipe?
02 WRX
75 280Z
Gregs672000

Post by Gregs672000 »

harrison wrote:
Gregs672000 wrote:
I'll be ordering new headers and various parts from datsun parts llc. Where did you add the bung? at the collector or after the flex pipe?
I removed my flex pipe yrs ago. Mine is in the collector that is welded to the exhaust pipe. They must be mounted slightly up as otherwise moisture can mess up your O2 sensor. Things get a bit tight in there so you may want to work closely with the muffler shop to make sure things are where they can be accessed.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
harrison
Roadster Fanatic

Post by harrison »

Gregs672000 wrote:
harrison wrote:
Gregs672000 wrote: I think you will love It! There are several threads here about them, installation etc. Be sure to have a good idea what the different jets and stuff do. There are some good online manuals that will give you a good idea about how the carbs work if you're not familiar. We also can help guide you. Have fun! Nothing beats the sound!
I removed my flex pipe yrs ago. Mine is in the collector that is welded to the exhaust pipe. They must be mounted slightly up as otherwise moisture can mess up your O2 sensor. Things get a bit tight in there so you may want to work closely with the muffler shop to make sure things are where they can be accessed.
I just got an Innovative AFR meter to log the ratios while driving. Im hoping to get this all buttoned up by next weekend and then get her on a dyno for fun.
02 WRX
75 280Z