5 speed

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

McGSR20

5 speed

Post by McGSR20 »

Does anyone out there know where I can get a roadster 5 speed rebuilt here in california, or near by? Reverse is making noise and 5th pops out. Thanks, Mike
Lee2000
Roadster Fanatic

Re: 5 speed

Post by Lee2000 »

Why not take it apart yourself? You'll become a reasonably good expert on the tranny in no time. I just finished redoing mine and found the BIG nuts on the rear of the mainshaft had backed off. Not knowing what year you car/tranny is, you may have the same problem, or you may have the single nut type w/locking collar, or you may have the un-splined type of 5th gear. AFAIK, ALL styles are secured with lock nut(s). In any case, the 5th and reverse gears use the same cog at the rear of the tranny...housed within the tail housing...so there's a good chance the two problems are related to the loose nut syndrome even IF you have the splined-type 5th gear, just like mine.

Forgot to answer your question: I don't know of anyone off-hand who could work on your tranny, but I never searched either.
caraddict
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by caraddict »

Skip Miller is a Datsun expert from way back and comes highly recommended.
He is in Pasadena and his number is 626-793-0487.

Jon
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

+1 on Skip Miller, a long time Datsun certified mechanic.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.