Napa SU Rebuild Kit

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dagazio

Napa SU Rebuild Kit

Post by dagazio »

Can someone tell me if they ever bought and used the SU rebuild kit from NAPA (CRB21249A) and what is included in it? They sell the float valve and float separate, but a lot of times the float valve comes in kits.
tjp
Site Supporter

Re: Napa SU Rebuild Kit

Post by tjp »

Despite my almost pure ignorance when it comes to these carbs, this kit certainly doesn't look like an SU carb kit I have seen before.

tim
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
dagazio

Post by dagazio »

Yeah, well I was thinking the picture was wrong. Other websites point to NAPA for a kit for the SU, but this is all I can come up with on a search. I once found this kit associated with Nissan Part number, but couldn't find that webpage again to compare it to CARPARTSMANUAL Part Number (16010-14605) website. Wait... I just went back and this time the NAPA site lists all the Nissan numbers.

What do you know??? It doesn't list that carb! Bummer, I put in that Nissan number and one that is listed with it, and it can't find parts in the search.

So the new question is the old one (what comes in it), but also, what is the correct number for the kit? Mine don't looks bad, I may get by with cleaning and cutting new gaskets.
Last edited by dagazio on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

The float bowl gaskets can be had from Nissan still. At least I got some a couple years ago. And the correct rebuild kits can be had from our vendors. And they are affordable as well IMO.

Tim
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
dagazio

Post by dagazio »

That's a fine idea, but I am still unemployed for 10 months now and $219 for parts(DatsunParts.com), I may or may not need, sounds excessive, even the $100 for the minor kit. The minor kit says it doesn't have the plunger rods and it's still $100! I don't think I paid more than $25 for each Weber rebuild kit.

HOWEVER---I did miss the following when looking on the Rallye website. I'm planning to use them for the throttle shafts. I hadn't notices the Generic brand rebuild kit (below) including the needles and plungers!

160-A1A REBUILD KIT Minor Same as 160-A1N kit but uses aftermarket parts $69.50
160-A1N REBUILD KIT Minor (does 2 carbs) all parts from Nissan
needles, float valves, plungers, above #160-23 gasket set (float chamber gaskets and round "crush" washers). $159.50

I guess we can forget my original question about the NAPA parts. It looks like it will be impossible to find the right kit for these at a parts store. There was a thread about this in 2003 but I think it ended the same way!

I'm just trying to get these running. I'm going to install new sleeve bearings for the throttle shafts. I'm hoping I can use bearings from Mcmaster-Carr that I found for $0.64 each and use this article http://home.comcast.net/~rhodes/Tech_Ca ... eaming.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a guide to re-bush the housings. I can see the biggest problem is these carbs are the bushings. I do need to confirm the size after I pull the parts or get the new shafts.

I wonder if anyone can tell me if the Nissan dealer still has throttle shafts? They are $5ea at Nissanpartwarehouse.com (but have no idea on stock), vs $20pair at Rallye. I say I have no idea on stock, because according to that website there is a price of $157 for the whole new dash and it doesn't complain when you add it to the cart! Incidentally, they list the carb kit-D (16010-14628) as $86.45. However, I don't know what's in it or if you can get it. There is at least one generic kit on the web, that refers to this Nissan (Kit D) number, but the picture doesn't match!!!!
23yrRebuild
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by 23yrRebuild »

http://www.royze.com/kit%20nissan%20datsun.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part #DA-6K

Also : http://www.siriusconinc.com/search_resu ... &x=45&y=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have used these kits from both suppliers, they do NOT include the fuel nozzles or rubber fuel nozzle hoses, but they do include the plungers and needles, along with float valve needle & seats.

If you want the Nissan kits, check out the vendors.
Mike - '67 Stroker / 5-Speed
dagazio

Post by dagazio »

dagazio wrote: use this article http://home.comcast.net/~rhodes/Tech_Ca ... eaming.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a guide to re-bush the housings.
I SO should have followed these directions instead of getting impatient!!! I tried something stupid to get out the old bushings. It worked on the first one and broke the housing on the second one!!!! I should have just got the right size reamer and reamed it out like the article showed...

By the way, I got what I needed at Rallye for a fair price. They had a generic, non-Nissan kit.
ruythoven
Roadster Newby

Post by ruythoven »

anybody have the Nissan part number for the floats for the 1600, to replace the brass ones?
bossbob
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bossbob »

I used Nissan #16061-K1407 can't remember if they were brass or not.
68 Roadster 1600
70 Boss 302
65 K-Code Fastback
69 Mach 1 393 Stroker 5 spd
63.5 Galaxy Conv. 427 Dual Carb, 4 spd
72 Ranchero
65 GT Coupe
bobd
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by bobd »

It's been a while, but when I was running the 1600, I made float bowl gaskets from a sheet of gasket material.
Maybe it's too early for me . but I don't see Z therapy listed https://www.ztherapy.com/
'69 1600 with SR20DE