Scary

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Scary

Post by SLOroadster »

While pulling the motor out of a friends car, we made the startlling discovery that the previous owner mounted the drive shaft backward. :shock: The trasmission splined slip fit tail piece was mounted to the diff. :roll: We wondered why it sounded like a Jag XK120 with a worn out gear box. This was thought to be a well sorted car; perhaps not. Has anyone else seen this before?
Will
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Really Scary

Post by S Allen »

Never heard that one before. How the heck did he/she do that? :shock: And why? Did not know better really does not cut it for that one. Completely bass-ackwards. Okay, I can sort of picture it now. Interesting.:roll:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

scary

Post by SLOroadster »

Aparently the engine has less than 1000 miles on it, it is ballaced, but the P.O. used the origanal cam (with pits in some of the lobes) and rockers, new timing chains and gears, but used a no-name head gasket. The head leaked oil out of the back right corner when my friend got it, but it ran great. However the engine was filthy (looked like it had never been cleaned in its life) so we pressure washed the block. The block wasn't painted when it was out either. So the car was out and about a few weeks ago and it started to run strange (well out of town of course, on a dark night.) it acted like it suddenly had no power, and they just barely limped home (more like coasted down Cuesta grade on 101 South into San Luis Obispo). I think he was lucky that it wasn't a catastrophic failure of the headgasket as it still starts and runs (but not well) however the faint smell of coolent can be found in the exhaust. The previous owner was using the car as a CSP auto cross monster and never finished off the podium (so I am told).
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

even more scary

Post by SLOroadster »

Upon removal of the engine, we found an overlightened flywheel. Someone got a little crazy with the lathe and removed enough material so that the bolts that hold the clutch onto the flyweel could be seen :shock:.! The threads on the bolts were visable in the flywheel; how on earth did they get them to stay (I don't want to know). It will be interesting to find out what was done inside.
Will
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I was perusing Fairlady.org and came across something of interest. That car may have been better prepared than you think. Check this page:
http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/JoeChassis.htm and check what he has to say about the gearbox. Joe is very well respected as a Roadster racer due to his success. He did the reversed 5 speed driveshaft gimmick and it solved driveshaft/transmission issues.......

Who woulda thought....
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Drive shaft

Post by SLOroadster »

Wow thats kinda cool. I will have to read that more carefully later.
Will