Stereo/Interior

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Stereo/Interior

Post by dbrick »

vulforge wrote:I mounted 6.5 Boston acoustics in the middle holes behind the seat, so they sit just above the package shelf,

Dave;
how did you get 6.5" speakers in a 4.25" hole?

Russell Criswell
1967 1600
I have a 12 ton hydraulic press (told my wife it was for pressing off distributor cams) :twisted:
Seroiusly, if you front mount the speaker, it needs a smaller hole, as the entire 6.5" outer rim is on the face of the interior panel, and you just need to fit the magnet and frame through the actual hole. I used self drilling sheetmetal screws to attach it, as I could line up the speaker and install them blind. It also eliminates the need for trim clips on the side panels, the speakers hold it all in.

For the life of me, I can't remember how I marked the holes on the panel to cut them out.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii241/daveandlindab/Retro%20sound/P1050637.jpg

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
vulforge
Roadster Newby

Post by vulforge »

spl310 wrote:Personally I think we should all keep the AM radios in our cars and not do all of this swapping...

I think that and talk radio are all that is on AM!

Russell Criswell
1967 1600
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

I envision another sticky or thread just for stereo systems as this comes up often!
Here are some pics I collected over the years for ideas on speak locations/mounting solutions for amps and head units.
here is my setup:
amp in side of trunk:
front speakers in kick panel:
head unit in dash:
MB quarts in rear side panels

The best sounding setup I've heard was in one of Kevin Desirello's creations:

look at the trick hidden speakers in back(and front!!):

I know I have a few front, under-dash locations at home, will post later

Speakers:

roll-bar mounted:

AMPS:

Head units:
URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/15 ... 4682AbIBWE]Image[/URL]
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
vulforge
Roadster Newby

Post by vulforge »

Alvin;
thanks for the pics! I think a permanant thread would be a good idea. I did find some posts archived, but a thread would be easier.
I am using a vintage-style head unit with casstte player and adaptor as input and think I can mount the speakers and amp so nothing shows and everything can be easily put back to stock. I ordered the parts today. I went with 6.5" speakers for the rear. I am dubious that they will fit, but Dave says they do! I will try to remember to take photos.

Russell Criswell
1967 1600
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

Dave's been wrong, ask anyone :D It all depends on the individual speakers. I remembered how I cut the holes..I made a cardboard pattern of the side panel and just poked through until I had a rough cut, made the cut neat, tested the fit, then transferred it to the real panel and cut it out.

I agree, a topic for stereos would be great. Is there any way to pull relevant threads from other topics and bring them into it?

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
Blinds04
Roadster Nut

Post by Blinds04 »

Brian

Sleeping Beauty - 67.5 S14 SR20DET project
kiwi-red
Roadster Fanatic

Post by kiwi-red »

spl310 wrote:Personally I think we should all keep the AM radios in our cars and not do all of this swapping...

AM is on the way out over here. My push button radio is dead, and I'd like to have something that plays
the music I like to listen too. I need to have a way for an iPod to connect and play, that way my daughter
will still come along ont he drives ;-)

How about one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-Hi-Fi-Ampli ... 0535945457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kiwi
1967.5 1600
SP311 Blue
Natenate4s
Site Supporter

Post by Natenate4s »

Here's what I did recently. I kept the original radio in, and had the stereo shop install my new one in the glovebox. This way it looks original, but I have new sound. I have 2 6 x9's in the back which is plenty loud for me even on the highway. I also had them run a cable into the ash tray so I can play music off my droid and keep the glovebox door closed at the same time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I've always thought having an Ipod dock in the ashtray would be very cool.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

I mounted m "ipod connector" inside the Console with the cable running to the radio in the standard placement in the upper console, I used an 1/8 inch phono jack so that you can plug in any device with a headphone jack. One could easily add a powered USB port there to. The 1/8" phono jack requires only a tiny hole be drilled, very unobtrusive!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
It's a D-A-T-S-U-N

Post by It's a D-A-T-S-U-N »

Sound system in our "old" '70 SPL...
iPod signal to a Sony Xplod (120w RMS x 2) amp in the trunk, amp output through crossovers to a 6.5" mid bass speaker in each lower dog leg panel and a tweeter mounted on each door. Mounted the mid bass speakers onto 1/4" luan plywood panels upholstered in vinyl to match the rear interior trim. System volume is sufficient at highway speeds,and the door mounted tweeters provide great imaging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 SPL311
2000 Acura Integra GSR
2002 Honda S2000