Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

theunz
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Re: New Carpet Install

Post by theunz »

Robert, if you are referring to the six peices of plain vinyl it is indeed a puzzle! What they do in essence is to make a U shape around each door opening. There will be a lot of trimming which makes it confusing at first. I installed the bottom (horizontal) piece in first and then overlayed the two vertical peices. You may want to mock it up in other sequences first to determine which way the seams fall in order to appeal to you. Be sure to fold it over the edges and cover as much metal as needed to allow for the gaps in the vinyl panels. Mike
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
mellis18
Site Supporter

Post by mellis18 »

theunz wrote:Robert, if you are referring to the six peices of plain vinyl it is indeed a puzzle! What they do in essence is to make a U shape around each door opening. There will be a lot of trimming which makes it confusing at first. I installed the bottom (horizontal) piece in first and then overlayed the two vertical peices. You may want to mock it up in other sequences first to determine which way the seams fall in order to appeal to you. Be sure to fold it over the edges and cover as much metal as needed to allow for the gaps in the vinyl panels. Mike
Thanks Mike...that helped. I did a dry fit to get a feel for it. long piece along bottom of door, and piece that goes towards front of door are just laying there but I believe that is correct.
Does it look correct to you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert Ellis
Saratoga Springs, UT
1969 SRL311

1969 SRL311-07332
Matching numbers
1966 Mustang Coupe
theunz

Post by theunz »

Robert, I don't remember exactly, but yes it does look correct to me.
Mike M

Old enough to know better, too old to remember why!

1969 2000 solex mine since 1972, under resurrection. (Finally resurrected as of spring 2019!)
1969 Porsche 911s -worth more, but not as valuable! Gone!
2017 Lotus Evora 400 - Oh my!!
wousing1927
Forum Newb

Post by wousing1927 »

JohnnyRoadster wrote:I am sure that it has been discussed before, but I am wondering about what goes first.

I have new Rug Cleaning Service and vinyl. I am thinking....

1. Install all vinyl first with adhesive.
2. Install transmission tunnel carpet with adhesive, and cut stick shift hole.
3. Install rear deck and trunk wall.
4. Install carpet padding and carpet. I have read that some snap it in, so i will try that if i can for the floor.
5. Install rear side panels and door panels

Any suggestions from someone who has done it before would be great!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2772766 ... 3787MgupPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

J
You are absolutely correct this steps are in the right.
mike1234
Forum Newb

Post by mike1234 »

JohnnyRoadster wrote:I am sure that it has been discussed before, but I am wondering about what goes first.

I have new carpet and vinyl. I am thinking....

1. Install all vinyl first with adhesive.
2. Install transmission tunnel carpet with adhesive, and cut stick shift hole.
3. Install rear deck and trunk wall.
4. Install carpet padding and carpet. I have read that some snap it in, so i will try that if i can for the floor.
5. Install rear side panels and door panels
Carpet cleaning surrey
Any suggestions from someone who has done it before would be great!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2772766 ... 3787MgupPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

J
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

I didn't use adhesive to hold mine down, except the very back strip which is vertical.

The front carpets use snaps to hold in place and everything else had something bolted on top of it to keep it in place, center console or a seat.

Unfortunately the kits are not all that durable and if you have a daily driver you'll be replacing the carpet sooner than you would have wished. If your carpet came from an upholstery shop you may have better luck.

I used spray to hold my carpet to mat but no adhesive to hold the mat to the car.

That's my 2 cents.
Greg a.k.a SOLEX68 - http://www.datsunvents.com/
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Always willing to help another Datsun Roadster owner
Pending installs: SS brake lines, Stan Stealth Dizzy
Gornal
Roadster Nut

Post by Gornal »

Hi,
Does anyone have the photos to the links in this discussion? All the Webshots links are broken and I would dearly love to see how this vinyl and carpet goes in. In particular, how doe s the carpet kit affix? I have laid some noico sound and heat insulation down and just assume that I will glue the carpet? Perhaps there are some clips or other method?

thanks
C.Costine

Post by C.Costine »

Gornal wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:16 pm Hi,
Does anyone have the photos to the links in this discussion? All the Webshots links are broken and I would dearly love to see how this vinyl and carpet goes in. In particular, how doe s the carpet kit affix? I have laid some noico sound and heat insulation down and just assume that I will glue the carpet? Perhaps there are some clips or other method?

thanks
I don't have pics but I have a few suggestions. The center piece will be held down by the heater box and console parts. Before you start to install it make yourself a diagram showing where all of the fastener holes are with measurements from the firewall or back wall. Note on your diagram what size and thread goes in each hole. Then put the center piece in place making sure that it is centered side to side and front to back. I suggest installing one of the two rearmost screws first then work from front to rear. Then start locating the holes. An awl works well for this. Next make the holes that you locate useable by melting them in a little with a soldering iron. If you don't do this the threads will draw fibres in and get coated so that you will have to keep removing and cleaning them. The two pieces that go under the seats are held down by the seats. no glue needed. The two front pieces, depending on what you have, may stay in place due to their stiffness, or you can use 2-6 snaps. the rear wall vertical piece will need probably 6 snaps or it could be glued.
located in Chester NH
1967 1600 in restoration
2013 Arctic Cat F-1100 turbo
Ford F-350 6.0
Ford 9000 puller, Ford 960 puller, Ford 901show, Ford 971 worker, Oliver 70 waiting its turn
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

The carpet is held in place by snaps. Here are some of the snap locations:
Click on each photo to view full size.
Carpet Snaps 1.jpg
Carpet Snaps 2.jpg
Carpet Snaps 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Gornal
Roadster Nut

Post by Gornal »

Thanks for this Greg, very helpful. Another dumb question - the carpet in the kit that Dean sells does not have these snaps. Do you have to affix them yourself and are they sewn in place?
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

Pretty sure Deans comes with the snaps. They don't sew in. They are kind of a pain to align to the carpet. I used short needle nose pliers to bend the snap tabs around the snap base.
The snaps look like this:
The left piece screws into the floor. The middle goes between the floor and the carpet, The right piece, the teeth go downward into the middle piece 3 holes and then I used needle nose pliers to pull the teeth and wrap it around the middle piece. I am sure someone will have a better process and explanation. My method was slow but it worked. Take it slow and have a lot of light. Take your time.
_snaps.jpg
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Gornal
Roadster Nut

Post by Gornal »

Awesome! Yes they did come with these but zero instructions, so this has helped immensely. thank you
Solex68
Site Supporter

Post by Solex68 »

I laid down Dynamat first as I needed the sound dampening from my engine.
I soon lost where the snaps were supposed to go but I found I could find the tiny holes where the screws came through the floorboard from underneath the lifted car. I then pushed up a small nail from there so I coulds locate the snap locations again from inside the car looking for the nails. If you are smarter than me you will mark the snap hole locations from underneath before you start.
Laguna Hills, CA
68 2000
Steverolton
Forum Newb
Model: 1500/1600

Post by Steverolton »

What about carpet cleaning? I mean, how to clean the farthest corners? or...or it may be better to change them every time ..
DAC21
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by DAC21 »

Solex68 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:06 pm The carpet is held in place by snaps. Here are some of the snap locations:
Click on each photo to view full size.
Carpet Snaps 1.jpg
Carpet Snaps 2.jpg
Carpet Snaps 3.jpg
Are these factory snap locations? If so does anyone know if factory snaps work with the upper portion of the snap that you buy with a new carpet kit? Or would you need to remove them and install the new lower snaps in the pan? Not a huge deal if the holes in the pan from the original snaps are standard size to the new one. I hate the idea of filling and drilling any more holes than absolutely necessary.
1967 1600 in waiting SPL311-09002 / R-28178
2018 Hyundai Elantra GT Sport Ultimate