New Carpet Install

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

JohnnyRoadster
Roadster Fanatic

New Carpet Install

Post by JohnnyRoadster »

I am sure that it has been discussed before, but I am wondering about what goes first.

I have new carpet and vinyl. I am thinking....

1. Install all vinyl first with adhesive.
2. Install transmission tunnel carpet with adhesive, and cut stick shift hole.
3. Install rear deck and trunk wall.
4. Install carpet padding and carpet. I have read that some snap it in, so i will try that if i can for the floor.
5. Install rear side panels and door panels

Any suggestions from someone who has done it before would be great!

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2772766 ... 3787MgupPM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

J
SPL311-13956
silver to cranberry to metallic brown to flat brown back to silver in 41 years!
http://united2311ster.googlepages.com"

John
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: New Carpet Install

Post by dbrick »

I'm at the same point. Considering whether to do the dynamat or not. Interior kit on the way, so ready to go soon.
John, the order sounds right to me, basically how I did the 2000.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Woody Woodruff
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Woody Woodruff »

Here are some pics of my work...

I felt it very important to cut this piece, that hung over from the formed rear deck piece. It made a cleaner looking break, otherwise it just hung over and gave an ugly lip. You can also see I put down the Accumat, and ran my speaker/amp cables before the carpeting.

Here's a side view of the wheel well covered, and the areas that still need covering by the extra pieces of vinyl.

Additional shot of Accumat, and cabling

Side view of carpeting installed. Put the tranny tunnel down first, then the two pieces that go under the seats, followed by the piece that runs behind the seats (under the rear deck), then do the front pieces where your feet will go. The drivers side was a PITA. I cut jute pad, spray adhesive to the back of the carpet, then spray adhesive to the Accumat. I'm really hoping the seats will go through to the bottom so I can bolt them in. :? (the piece of carpet on the rear deck is just there to protect the vinyl while i work on the car)

Here is a shot of the trunk carpet, powdercoated jack, and hold down, upside down Amp

Center/radio console installed, more vinyl along door, pass. side door on.

I built a little speaker box with the extra vinyl I had, figured that was a good enough spot, since I didn't have a heater unit.

Outside view of the lines... I must say, I'm proud of myself on how the side trim turned out...they were so full of dings, but I used the method I found on this site, and think they're at about 9.5/10 now.

Good luck!!

Woody
todd lorber
Roadsteraholic

Post by todd lorber »

I agree about putting all vinyl in before the carpet. On the tunnel I had to cut the carpet to remove some material and sew back together (under the center console) since the piece was a bit too baggy. Also, anyplace the I cut the carpet (e.g. around the left foot rest pad) I melted the carpet with a lighter or soldering iron so that the carpet wouldn't run.
JohnnyRoadster
Roadster Fanatic

Post by JohnnyRoadster »

Dave, I figured it would not hurt to have the extra insulation. Hopefully the dynamat extreme will help with the interior rattles. It is a convertible, so it will be louder anyway.

Woody, Thanks for the great photos! I also ran the power to the trunk for the stereo along the passenger door/floor. I ran the speaker wires down the transmission tunnel.

Do you use any of the carpet padding for the transmission tunnel? Or just glue it down as tight as possible. Mine looked a little loose, like Todd mentioned.
SPL311-13956
silver to cranberry to metallic brown to flat brown back to silver in 41 years!
http://united2311ster.googlepages.com"

John
Woody Woodruff
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Woody Woodruff »

I did use padding under the carpet over the tranny tunnel. I did not use any Accumat there though, only because I ran out. Everything seems to look pretty snug.
Danny_Vilato
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Danny_Vilato »

I am at carpet install stage also. :smt038
I got my kit from Dean at datsunparts.com
I have a question about the vinyl trim pieces
http://datsunparts.com/1831" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Um... where do they go :smt102
69 SRL
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

They frame the door. One on the rear post (below the top mounts down the door post), one on the bottom, and one at the front iirc.
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Danny_Vilato
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Danny_Vilato »

Do the ones below the door fold over threshold or even with the lip?
The pieces seem to be fairly wide.
69 SRL
EScanlon

Post by EScanlon »

Fold the edges over the door edge. Otherwise when you install the weatherstrip welting, the vinyl will be pushed away from the edge and distorted.

Here's an installation writeup that I had begun to submit to Dean, that is not quite finished, but should help. I need to resize the pics, and sadly cannot place the pictures in the text where they need to go to clarify the narrative.

=======================
Roadster Vinyl Trim Set:

Number Index, note pieces numbered 5 are switched R to L.
All pieces are generously oversized to allow for your preference in final fit and trim.

(1832-1 Numbered.jpg)

Locations inside car. Note that for contrast the reverse side is being shown.
Piece #1 will mount on the Kick Panel behind Piece #2 and above the
fiberboard kick panel trim piece.. Piece #3 is mounted on the Kick Panel in front of #2.

(Locations.jpg)

Note the overlap between #5 and #’s 3 & 4.
If you look at piece #5 from the outside, you’ll note that because it has been set further forward, in order to overlap #3 in front, there is extra material in the door opening.

(Outer view.jpg)

The white lines show where to cut and the white triangle shows the location for the cut piece.

This additional material is cut out and used to cover the outer piece of the door opening as noted by the white triangle. That part of the trim are shaped such that you may find that due to the angles of the pieces, using the Right hand material for the Left side and vice versa works better for you. These pieces were too small to cut out by themselves without raising the cost of the kit. For reference the original Datsun Part #’s were 76907-25500 and 76908-25500 for the black gusset trim.

The extra edging all around the opening is there so you can pinch it around the opening with the door gasket and then the aluminum trim pieces can hold the gasket firmly in place. The newer style gasket may require you to spread the aluminum “J” just a bit, in order to fit properly.

=========

There are three more pictures I'll add in the next post.

Hope it helps
Enrique
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by EScanlon on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EScanlon

Post by EScanlon »

Three more pics of vinyl install.

E
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny_Vilato
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Danny_Vilato »

Thank you very much!
That helps quite a bit.
But, the write up is for the early Roadster, right?
Anyways, I get the general idea. :D
69 SRL
EScanlon

Post by EScanlon »

AFAIK, the only difference between the "early" and "late" vinyl kits is that the later kits do not include the pieces labeled #1 and #2. Those pieces mount on the dash reinforcement support and above the kick panel.

But if someone knows better, please post and correct me.

Sadly, the kit I bought from Dean did not include instructions. This isn't Dean's fault, he successfully traced down a vinyl supplier who was willing to produce these from an old layout diagram he had on file, but no instructions or placement sheet. That was the reason for trying to write it up so Dean could include it with his kit and improve the product kit.

FWIW
E
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

I can't wait to start the 64, kit just arrived. I think it's time to get some help, there's so many small glue on pieces it looks like a upholstery shop's scrap pile!

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Datsun 440
Roadsteraholic

Post by Datsun 440 »

I also am at the carpet install stage on wy 67.5/2000.The vinyl and dash is all in place.Do you glue the under pad to the floor,then glue the carpet to the pad. Did not want to glue to the floor incase the carpet ever got wet.The original carpet was installed with snaps ???

Thanks Arnold
67.5/2000 Solex 00440 The project
67.5/2000 Solex 00692 The new addition
68 2000 Solex
69 2000 SU
66 1600
64/1500 x 3